Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2017, 06:39 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Article: "Is film photography saved?"

I don't think this has been posted? I tried searching first...
An article about a project to create a network for film photographers. (Is this OK here? Only a couple of "film" sections and this isn't really just about processing...)

Is film photography really saved? - DIY Photography

...and some more by the project creator:
https://cameraventures.com/help

Last edited by Alliecat; 05-08-2017 at 06:51 PM.
05-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting, thanks for posting!
05-08-2017, 11:48 PM   #3

Thank you!
05-09-2017, 03:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
cheers, thank you, filled out the form too.

05-09-2017, 06:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Resale aggregator web site with melodramatic marketing pitch. Can it compete with ebay?

I read through his appraisal of the situation (in the "help" link) and I think it's pretty accurate. Sadly however his aspirational project to 'save film photography' in its present form is probably doomed.

Last edited by dsmithhfx; 05-09-2017 at 06:33 AM.
05-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Forum Member

Worth a punt :-)
05-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks for the link.

QuoteQuote:
Vincent Moschetti is a photographer from France. He has been into photography since 2013 and worked exclusively with digital equipment until recently.
Hum, after 30 years of developing my own film I don't relate to someone who has barely shot a roll of film. But I appreciate their point of view.

05-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks for the link.
Hum, after 30 years of developing my own film I don't relate to someone who has barely shot a roll of film. But I appreciate their point of view.
Well, after (not-saying-how-many) years of shooting only film -- I only bought a digital once it became too hard to have it processed -- I'm glad to see anyone wanting to preserve/revive/save film photography, no matter how many rolls they've shot. I suppose the other way to look at it is, he only shot a little film and is now hooked. So that's a good thing.
06-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More along the same lines. Sigh; nice if you live somewhere where this is accessible.

The Great Film Renaissance Of 2017 | B&H Explora
06-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
More along the same lines. Sigh; nice if you live somewhere where this is accessible.

The Great Film Renaissance Of 2017 | B&H Explora
What do you mean? You don't have access to a postal service?
06-28-2017, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
What do you mean? You don't have access to a postal service?
Yeah, it's Canada. I live in an igloo.

There is nowhere to have film processed within hours of where I live, and I have not yet become desperate enough to pay Canada Post parcel rates to ship even one little roll of film somewhere (because a film roll is too fat to go through the 2cm letter-mail allowance), nor to pay the ridiculous shipping rates that American processors want to ship the prints (or the developed film) back to me. Believe me, I've looked.
Maybe some day when I don't have 50 million other things to do I'll try learning to develop my own colour film, but that's not likely anytime soon. Then I will have to figure out how to get chemicals and how to dispose of them because the community doesn't have decent recycling of cans or paper, let alone disposal of photo chemicals, and I have a septic system.
*goes back into igloo*
06-29-2017, 05:36 AM   #12
Forum Member

Guys, I don't want to stir the pot here, but I can tell you that a professional photographer that I know here in the UK ships her film to Canada for development (the relationship started when the company was also in the UK, but she stuck with them).

The beauty of Kodak Gold film - It's not just for nostalgia

Canadian Film Lab - Professional Film Processing in Canada

The lab is in Vancouver, if that helps.

She uses a film camera (as well as digital) for weddings, etc and seems very successful - so maybe the film revival is more than just yuppies and old codgers :-)
06-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can develop at home. The small volumes of most chemicals used by the average
amateur should not harm your septic system. Silver can be removed from used fixer
by several methods, or that and the few other chemicals of concern can be collected
and brought to a safe disposal site, of which there are an ever-increasing number.

Chris
07-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Yeah, it's Canada. I live in an igloo.

There is nowhere to have film processed within hours of where I live, and I have not yet become desperate enough to pay Canada Post parcel rates to ship even one little roll of film somewhere (because a film roll is too fat to go through the 2cm letter-mail allowance), nor to pay the ridiculous shipping rates that American processors want to ship the prints (or the developed film) back to me. Believe me, I've looked.
Maybe some day when I don't have 50 million other things to do I'll try learning to develop my own colour film, but that's not likely anytime soon. Then I will have to figure out how to get chemicals and how to dispose of them because the community doesn't have decent recycling of cans or paper, let alone disposal of photo chemicals, and I have a septic system.
*goes back into igloo*

I just checked Canada Post rate and it's a bad joke (as usual). I can send roll to Tibet for 8.61$ but If I want to send the same parcel to Vancouver it will cost 15.56$cad ?? No wonder they are loosing business.

---------------------

I recently started to process my B/W rolls at home, it's easier than I thought it would be and I don't have to wait for a whole week to have 'em back from a lab.
07-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Its an interesting article with some good points made. I think processing labs will spring up again quickly enough if the demand is there. The lack of new camera equipment is a more serious issue. The older stuff that we are all using won't last forever. I'm lucky enough to have a Canon EOS 3 which is one of the last film bodies that Canon made and its got some features that my current Canon DSLR doesn't have.

I am quite encouraged that some film is being reintroduced after being discontinued. Ektachrome is welcomed back by the guys who shoot colour and B&W nuts like me are so pleased to see the old Ferrania plant in Italy start up again. Their classic P30 (Pancro) film should start shipping to the masses within a couple of months. If only Fuji could be persuaded to restart Neopan 400 and 1600