Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #1

Pentax LX Film Advance Jam

Can anyone give me any pointers where to look for the source of this problem where the film advance won't move nor will the shutter fire. The mirror is not locked up or anything, it seems more like the winding mechanism is jammed but it's a rather more complex device than a Spotmatic ! :-) So more difficult to see whats going on.

I have robbed a couple of bits off this one to get the other one going but I'd like to eventually see if this one can be saved.

05-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Is the advance lever frozen where you cranked it to or is it stuck in the resting position or is it loose?

Oh... is the rewind button out or in?

Did you pull the batteries out yet?

Red flag up indicating cocked or black?

Got film in it...what frame currently on?

...I ask tons of questions because I can't see what state your camera is currently in.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 05-11-2017 at 09:29 AM.
05-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
The advance lever flips out and feels normal but wont wind further as it's solid. Rewind button is out, batteries were in but now out. Red cocked indicator is red. Does not have film in it, frame indicator is on start position. The shutter release will allow me to puch it down and has springy resistance but does nothing.
05-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Red flag is up... set the shutter speed to 2000 and then is it possible to fire via the self-timer?

If it works, don't advance yet.

While the camera is at rest in a fired or uncocked... put the battery back in and see if you have power to the meter?

Note the height of the release button. It should be at the normal height and not low or loose...this will rule out failure at the adjuster bracket.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 05-11-2017 at 09:50 AM.
05-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
The timer runs but does not fire the shutter......
05-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Oh...read to the bottom before attempting anything...
Did you first obtain the LX with the sticky mirror issue... specifically the internal bumper.
Officially known as the Diaphragm actuating lever stopper #24001-B38... or inside bumper under the stop-down lever.

Just behind the assembly are the parts that cycle the mirror and reset the shutter. If the gum up is very bad, it is possible that is stuck in the wrong position.

Cheap trick is to drop a small drop of isopropyl alcohol the less % water the better into the stop-down lever and let it climb inside for a second... then see if you can fire.

Also, push the rewind release and keep your finger there and see if it will cycle the advance.

...do not force anything because it is possible that if you can't gently budge it, something dropped out of gear.

The LX is quite durable mechanically, but gummed up part can make quite the mess of things.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 05-11-2017 at 10:25 AM.
05-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, holding in the rewind release did not seem to improve anything. The shutter has always been in the normal down positionand is physically free. I have got access to the underside and can take the front off easily if theres anything I need to be looking out for inside there.

05-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
Giveaway winner!

Do be careful of the differing length screws for the bottom. Also, take precautions to not move the magnet around. It can ruin things.
It is unlikely easy to see from the bottom. The lens mount and face will have to be removed.
Some key wires must be de-soldered as well.

Quick test. Lens off. Find the stop-down lever and move it up with your finger. Does it move easily, or sluggish or stiff?
05-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #9

Original Poster
The stop down lever is down, will lift with normal springy resistance. The lens face has been off (it's not unsoldered but I hold it in place with elastic bands when off, I have a pic of the wires positions just in case the come off and need resoldering) but am still trying to work out what I'm looking for under there
05-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #10
Giveaway winner!

Try this...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-i3MeYepvkuk/UF0lgrRq0uI/AAAAAAAABA8/b7qru1rbgjM/s1...DAVEbumper.jpg
http://mysteryononlx.blogspot.com/2012/09/07-looking-at-less-known-syndrome....05f40e972738fe

My old blog.

Excuse the messy layout...was trying to overhaul the articles.

The thing is that you are partially describing the magnet not working?
I am also thinking you might have the connection of part B24 not going to where it should.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 05-11-2017 at 11:34 AM.
05-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks, from what I can see that bumber is not even there. But comparing that pic to mine it's clear the leverage on mine is in a different position, the bottom looks like it should be able to move in but it only moved in a couple of millimetres. This ceems to coincide with a lever uinderneath that I know moved on the other one but seems stuck on this one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N910F  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-N910F  Photo 
05-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #12
Giveaway winner!

You may have an obstruction.
I am having a hard time spotting the eccentric cup and screw that is the adjuster for the bumper. Is it still there or did it fall off?
If you go to the service manual and look at the part for the B38.
Mystery Onion's - Pentax LX repairs: February 2016
05-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #13

Original Poster
The Green Arrow labelled 1 aparently is in that position when cocked and should moive down in the direction shown when the shutter fires. When I pushed the red lever labelled 2 in the direction shown the camera suddenly fired ! Once it fired once the cocking and firing of the shutter now works fine every time ! :-) :-) :-)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N910F  Photo 
05-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #14
Giveaway winner!

Oh OK! Just got home...good news I see.
I was just digging up my LX #4 to pop open and test.
Cheers then.
03-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Friends: I have a jammed mirror / shutter wind lever issue in my LX which happened while I was shutting during very frigid winter weather at manual mechanical shutter speeds (1/75 - 1/2000 sec): after pressing the shutter button, the mirror flipped up, the shutter curtains didn't open and the wind lever is stuck. I'm going to use this information to start disassembly and find if the issue is between the mirror and the shutter, but I'll appreciate any input you have on this situation. By the way, where inside the camera is the lever # 2 mentioned before by Frosty66? Thanks in advance.