Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2017, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For a non-collector, I sure do seem to be acumulating a lot of gear

But I think I might be pretty close to done. I finally pulled the trigger on an original AP today.

My original intent when I started this buying spree 8 months ago was to get a nice MX, an ME Super and a bunch of glass and just start shooting. Then I remembered how much I loved my LX back in the 90s. Then I started to discover models that I had forgotten all about. I NEVER had a desire for a Spotmatic (still don't) so I didn't think there was a screw mount out there that was worth my attention. Then I found an SV for $11.00 shipped so I got it and fell in love. Then came the K.

There really is now though, no other Pentax SLR that I desire. I have what are in my opinion, the best of the screw mount bodies. If I want a metered body, I'll skip the Spotties and jump to the K and M series. If I want metered mechanical, I'll reach for the K1000, KX, KM, or MX. If I want metered electronic I'll skip the K2 and grab the ME, ME Super, Super Program or LX. The A and P series and beyond hold no interest for me so I really do think I might be able to finally just get to the rest of the CLA business and just start enjoying using them. There are still e few lens acquisitions to be made though.

05-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
If I want metered electronic I'll skip the K2 and grab the ME, ME Super, Super Program or LX.
K2DMD. You'll want one eventually. Sorry.
05-22-2017, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Congrats on the original Asahi Pentax acquisition. I appreciated that Pentax reached all the way back to it when they designed the LX . . .

---------- Post added 05-23-17 at 12:22 AM ----------

If you didn't already see this it's a good read -> Camerquest - Pentax Original
05-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
K2DMD. You'll want one eventually. Sorry.
Nope. I can actually say that the K2DMD has nothing that I don't already have in a camera that I like better. If I want a camera with AV, M, and B with a shutter that is reliant on batteries I'll use my LX. The K2DMD offers no advantage. It's the same reason that I have a beautiful, perfectly functioning S1a sitting next to me that I'm selling for a friend and could have for myself for next to nothing but will sell anyway. Although it's a great little gem of a camera in its own right, I already have an SV that is just a much a gem but has a self timer too. If I want a camera that confines me to battery use and I need aperture priority, My LX is all that I need for that purpose AND it has OTF metering so who needs the DMD? Not I.

Now, I may end up with one some day the same way I ended up with an ME and a KM. I didn't really want them but the price was right and at the price I got them, they were worth having. If a K2 DMD cmes as a lens cover in a deal on a lens that I can't pass up, I'll probably keep it but it's not one that I think I'll ever truly "want."

05-22-2017, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But I think I might be pretty close to done. I finally pulled the trigger on an original AP today.
That's what they all say Isn't it fun?

I really think you should give the super A a second look.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As with the K2 DMD, what does the Super A do that the Super Program doesn't do better?

Edit, I just remembered that they are the same camera but the Super A is black. I don't want a third of the same camera just because it's black.

Last edited by ctrout; 05-22-2017 at 10:07 PM.
05-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not a collector either. I just ended up with a K, S2, H1a with meter, SL, 231 Spotmatic with 8 element 1.4, Spotmatic II, K2, KX, Japanese K1000, Ming Camera K1000 eqivalent, LX, PZ-1P, ZX-5, ist*D, K-10 and K-50. It just happened. I have a few lenses too.

05-23-2017, 12:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As with the K2 DMD, what does the Super A do that the Super Program doesn't do better?

Edit, I just remembered that they are the same camera but the Super A is black. I don't want a third of the same camera just because it's black.
A third!

Well, if you had a Super A, you could keep black & white film in it, and the color would help you remember.
05-23-2017, 02:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
A third!

Well, if you had a Super A, you could keep black & white film in it, and the color would help you remember.
The devil hacked your password & posted that one for you?
05-23-2017, 04:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

My original intent when I started this buying spree 8 months ago was to get a nice MX, an ME Super and a bunch of glass and just start shooting.
That is what we all say. My signature line tells the rest of the story. However, I think I can safely declare myself done (until the medium format bug bites, which I'm sure it someday will now that I do home developing). There are admittedly a few Pentax lenses and bodies on my to-buy list - the ones which if I stumbled across them in a camera store and could pick them up, handle them and check them over with my own two hands, I would put down my hard-earned cash and go home with them. But I am finished with buying film cameras and their lenses online, unless it were to replace an accidental destruction or complete electromechanical failure that even Eric couldn't fix.

I am, however, the opposite of you with regards to the Spotties - it is my ownership of the Spotmatic F and all the SMC Tak lenses I could ever really need that stops me wanting any of the K series (plus I have a cheaply acquired Ricoh XR-1 if I really feel the urge for match-needle metering).
05-23-2017, 05:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, somewhere in the middle of it all I did get bit by the MF bug too. I picked up a Mamiya RB67 ProS kit and will be getting a Mamiya 330 with two lenses. There's also a Pentax 6x7 that I've been playing with that will probably also be mine soon. I have yet to run my first roll through the RB but I have two backs loaded because I was headed out a couple weekends ago and my trip got cancelled. I'll probably head out this weekend to remedy that.
05-23-2017, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

But I think I might be pretty close to done.
If I had a dime for every time I said that...

... I'd be able to buy even more cameras and lenses!! :-/
05-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From SMC PENTAX forward I only have cameras that are fun to use with the lenses I collect. From ESII backward I only have lenses that are fun to use with the cameras I collect.

Yeah, that's the ticket. .
05-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

It's a labour of Sisyphus love.
05-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It's not just the money spent on acquiring the camera and lenses, there's also the $$ I've spent on the CLA of cameras and lenses I've acquired. My mania doesn't stop at collecting and displaying -- I have to be able to shoot the gear too! (LBA/GBA is an evil mistress that will not be ignored.) :-/