Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2017, 02:17 AM   #16

Yeah Eric would be the one to give us a definitive answer but yes, he doesn't service this series. I do wonder though if he has some experience with these that could shed some light on this. I would sell some cameras to pay for the last pro Pentax film camera made if I could be assured it won't blow up like 2 of the 4 ZX series cameras I have owned.

05-29-2017, 03:55 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can check with Pål here in Norway who does services on these cameras. I'll ask both in general and also specific regarding the gears.

---------- Post added 05-29-2017 at 01:19 PM ----------

And here is his reply:

The mirror motor has plastic gears. When they are worn, the gear could "split" and everything basically stopped since the mirror box didn't go thru the whole cyclus. This is true for all MZ models. New motors were equipt with brass gear.

Film advance mechanisme has less problems, most of this is plastic, on the MZ-S there is also belts in connection to this mechanism.
05-30-2017, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #18

Thank you! Okay, I can cross an MZ-S off my want list. The replacement part was probably brass but those parts aren't easily available now so that is probably not an option. Strange that the PZ-1P may have ended up being the most reliable "pro" or "semi-pro" autofocus camera that Pentax released. Bonus is that the PZ-1P is MUCH cheaper! I remember lusting after an MZ-S for several years before the plague of digital. I figured it was the peak of Pentax film cameras, I guess maybe not so much.
05-30-2017, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pål can probably fix these, he has a lot of spare parts.

05-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an MZ-S and other than a rewind issue in the first year of ownership (which Pentax fixed under warranty) it's been a joy. Here's one for sale on Kijiji in Toronto, if you're interested:
Pentax MZ-S film camera | cameras, camcorders | City of Toronto | Kijiji
05-30-2017, 02:19 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For someone interested enough the failure-prone plastic gear might be upgradeable.
IIRC there was a thread here with a link to a source of a replacement brass gear.

Of course one would have to find a repairer willing to do the work, during CLA perhaps.
However once so equipped IMO the MZ-S would be quite a desirable model.

Chris
05-31-2017, 06:12 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Pål can probably fix these, he has a lot of spare parts.
Where is he now? I'd like him to fix my 600/4 lens (loose screws).

05-31-2017, 06:37 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Where is he now? I'd like him to fix my 600/4 lens (loose screws).
PM sent to Pål about Pål.

/Baard-Einar.
PS: If he cannot fix the lens, I can take it off your hands for free