Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Looking to buy an MZ-S - Common issues?

Hi

As the title states, I would like (and also greatly appreciate) any advice as to what I should try and look out for when buying a Pentax MZ-S. It's quite an advanced SLR so I'm sure there's lots to go wrong.

Cheers!

05-27-2017, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On mine, the only thing that has happened is scratching of the display glass. Certainly I would make sure the film winding mechanism is working well. I believe that the MZ-S was prone to the odd film advance error. Shoot a roll or two and find out. If you live in a cold climate and expect temp extremes test unit after 20 minutes in the fridge.......and no, I am not kidding. I use that trick to test all film cameras.
05-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
If you live in a cold climate and expect temp extremes test unit after 20 minutes in the fridge.......and no, I am not kidding. I use that trick to test all film cameras.
Were these cameras represented as recently serviced? Curious how many cameras have you found to pass or fail such a test?
05-27-2017, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I try to keep mine in regular use. The only "modification" I've made is a small square of gaffer tape to cover the battery door. The open/close thingy only needs about 1/20th of a turn to open. I also bought a couple sets of rechargeable batteries for it which work great. I do have the battery pack as well, but its nice and small without it. With the 43/1.9 on it, I'd love to compare it to the Fuji X100.

And btw, my avatar is me using my MZ-S

05-27-2017, 01:43 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Were these cameras represented as recently serviced? Curious how many cameras have you found to pass or fail such a test?
Usually these were used or swap-meet cameras students purchased for photography courses. When I taught I probably tested close to 80 cameras and found about 6 were defective in film transport either before after the fridge torture test. Most were easily diagnosed and repaired. The old advise was to use an old roll of film and try the 36 exposures and look for error. A better approach is to use a normal roll of film and look for other problems like light leaks at the same time. Light leaks are more common on older bodies such as the ME or K1000. Many used dealers do not check cameras for light leaks or film advance issues so it's best to do it yourself while return policy is in place.

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 05-27-2017 at 01:56 PM.
05-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
Usually these were used or swap-meet cameras students purchased for photography courses. When I taught I probably tested close to 80 cameras and found about 6 were defective in film transport either before after the fridge torture test. Most were easily diagnosed and repaired. The old advise was to use an old roll of film and try the 36 exposures and look for error. A better approach is to use a normal roll of film and look for other problems like light leaks at the same time. Light leaks are more common on older bodies such as the ME or K1000. Many used dealers do not check cameras for light leaks or film advance issues so it's best to do it yourself while return policy is in place.
Very good advice, thank you.
05-27-2017, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check the film rewind as well. The first two I looked at would not rewind film reliably.

05-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

For a while I was experiencing a film rewind issue with Kodak film (I think Portra), but this was a few years ago and I haven't had it recently. I believe what as happening was the tape holding the film to the reel would get stuck in the cartridge slot at the very end of the roll, and wouldn't rewind back in when the camera attempted a rewind.
05-28-2017, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MZ-S Problems

I have two of these marvelous cameras, and never any problems. However, I have heard complaints of interior plastic gears which are almost impossible to replace unless you can find a parts camera. I think any such weakness of internal gears would be a negative for a professional expecting heavy use of the camera, but nowadays almost all buyers are amateurs or collectors for whom the problem is less acute because of lower use levels. One of the kit lenses for this camera was the FA 24-70 zoom lens, which is a great and somewhat under-appreciated lens, so if you have a chance at one of these for less than $200 I would advise buying it. There is one problem if you want a battery-grip, and that is the difficulty/expense of finding one of them. I have two of these cameras, one with grip and one without. They seem to sell in the $275-400 range, which is relatively pricey for a 35mm film camera.

Another alternative is the PZ-1 or PZ-1P. These are great cameras which almost always come with a crack on the bottom, right-front corner near the battery door. This should not be considered a defect but a normal feature of this great camera! :>) They seem to sell in the $75-$125 range, which in my view is quite reasonable for the quality of this camera.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-29-2017 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Selling only permitted in Marketplace
05-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I was under the impression that the plastic gear was replaced with a metal gear by the time the MZ-S came around. But that is something I read online, and I haven't seen any specific confirmation one way or the other.
05-28-2017, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #11

No one can seem to confirm whether the gear is plastic or metal on the MZ-S. I started a thread trying to get to the bottom of this when I considered buying one. In the end I went with the PZ-1P because it doesn't have the mirror gear problem. There is mention in the reviews on this site of a MZ-S with a broken gear, that was enough to scare me off. I love the looks and features of it, but I just can't trust the MZ/ZX series.
05-28-2017, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gutter rock Quote
No one can seem to confirm whether the gear is plastic or metal on the MZ-S. I started a thread trying to get to the bottom of this when I considered buying one. In the end I went with the PZ-1P because it doesn't have the mirror gear problem. There is mention in the reviews on this site of a MZ-S with a broken gear, that was enough to scare me off. I love the looks and features of it, but I just can't trust the MZ/ZX series.
Excellent points. I like my PZ-1P very well indeed, and my two MZ-S cameras are only for light/collector use so the gear problemis not a great concern. For heavy use, I would probably go for the PZ-1P as well. For one thing, there are just lots more of them, making repair a little simpler.
05-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I have an MZ-S that I have put about 200 rolls through, and a second with an unknown number that I got used. Is there an indication of how long it takes a plastic gear problem to turn up, like in the MZ-3 and other cameras?

---------- Post added 05-28-17 at 01:11 PM ----------

Correction, from when I looked this up for another thread: Checking the film leaders, it looks like the two bodies have had 163 and 118 rolls of film through them.

The real truth on the MZ-S mirror motor gear? - PentaxForums.com

In general, though not definitive, there are not a lot of complaints about the gear/mirror problem, unlike many of the earlier/cheaper MZ models.
05-28-2017, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first information I'd seek is confirmation from a trusted source that MZ-S
does not have the plastic motor drive gear like the rest of the MZ/ZX models.

Short of hearing it from Eric Hendrickson anything else is mere speculation...

Chris
05-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #15
Pentaxian

But unfortunately Eric doesn't work on autofocus Pentaxes.