Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #1

Pentax LX Exposure Compensation Indicator Mechanism

Appologies if this is the most boring post ever but.... my LX Exposure Compensation Indicator Mechanism is sluggish, I assume it's supposed to be springy to the actuator pushes it out and it speings back by itself ? At least thats what looks most likely from the mechanism I can see. I suspect it will be a broken or misplaced part B216.

I have the top casing and lens mount assembly removed but as it's buried so deep I still can't see the area where this spring should be, what's my best bet for getting to that area, I wanted to see if anyone knows first as I am a little wary about undoing the mechanism that is in the way at the top; it looks like a cord on a reel - part of the winding mechanism.

Slightly annoyed with myself that I fixed everything else and had put it all back together before I noticed this problem !

---------- Post added 27-05-17 at 11:55 ----------

I think maybe I need to remove the whole central section that holds the mirror assembly and get to it that way, does that sound reasonable ?

Attached Images

05-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Check for over applied sealant or decayed foam. Also the pulley might need oil. If all checks out measure the opening for squareness. It is possible that the frame is off true.
05-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
I guess it's possible but tere seems to be no springiness on the indicator at all, definately feels like theres no spring connected. Which pulley do you mean the one for the blue shutter speed indicator ?
05-27-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think B216 is the spring you are looking for. Later versions of the LX have a meter turn-on switch that works with that button. Is there something that looks like a leaf spring?

05-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
I see, just to be clear this is for the red indicator above the LED's in the viewfinder yes ? Basically a bit of red transparent perspex that pops out when the exposure compentation dial is on anything other than x1. It does not move in and out freely even though it is not restricted, it s movement is free enough, thats why I thought the speing must have come off or broken, theres no tension/springiness. The exposure compensation lever can puch it out with no problem when you move the disl off of x1 but theres nothing pulling it back when you take it back to x1.
05-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh. My mistake. My recollection is that something on the bottom of the ASA dial just pushes against a lever that moves the indicator and there is no pulley involved in the system. Could be the spring and could be the pivot point. Was there silicone seal holding that cover on when you removed it? The reason I ask is if there was no silicone seal, it means that someone has been in the camera which would make the spring problem more likely ( someone not putting things together properly ). That spring is unlikely to fail by itself. Otherwise try a bit of oil on the pivot points.
05-29-2017, 07:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
The exposure compensation indicator is a lever as opposed to a pulley, the nearby pulley system OTOH controls the blue shutter speed indicator. I can't say I remember any silicon when I removed the top so you may be right, someone could have been poking around.The top on the other side is very difficult to remove is that normal if the selas are in place? Does the lug on the front hold it at all ?

So the problem is how to actually get to the bottom of that lever to see what's going on with the spring.

---------- Post added 29-05-17 at 07:09 ----------

BTW what is meant by a "late" model LX and how do I tell if I have one or an early one ? WHat are the differences?

05-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frosty66 Quote
BTW what is meant by a "late" model LX and how do I tell if I have one or an early one ? WHat are the differences?
Check this out:

LX Camera Film Bodies

Phil.
05-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for that, it doesn't look like theres much of a difference but on both of mine the ASA dial goes up to 3200 so I am presuming that mean both are late ?