Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2017, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #1

Light leak? ME Super

Hi,

I took these pics with my ME super, 50mm 2 and XP2 400. Orange filter.

I noticed some of the photos from the roll had a lighter exposure on the left hand side. I can't figure out what may have caused it.

This is the 2nd roll I've shot on this camera, the first had no signs of the lines/lighter exposure.

Any input or thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by photolady95; 06-04-2017 at 09:00 PM.
06-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could be a film door light seal problem.

Are the light seals old and disintegrating?

Have the light seals been redone lately? There could be a gap if they weren't installed properly.
06-12-2017, 01:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You need to hold the negatives up to a light.
Does the leak show on the rebates? Seals or door damaged.
If it is only in frame? Shutter is not running properly.

I just use scissors mouse mat and double sided pressure sensitive tape.
Favorite Classics / Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions

And I'm handicapped!
06-12-2017, 06:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
You need to hold the negatives up to a light.
Does the leak show on the rebates? Seals or door damaged.
If it is only in frame? Shutter is not running properly.

I just use scissors mouse mat and double sided pressure sensitive tape.
Favorite Classics / Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions

And I'm handicapped!
Thanks. Will check.

06-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Is it possibly uneven development ? There do appear to be faint markings approximating to the sprocket hole positions on the first image posted .
06-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Is it possibly uneven development ?
I queried the blotted appearance (see sky area on original fishing pic) for dots/blotches) with the lab, they said the temperature was probably not correct when they developed the film. I am now seriously looking for a change bag and a development tank...

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
You need to hold the negatives up to a light. Does the leak show on the rebates? Seals or door damaged.
I've attached two photos and the corresponding negatives. On the one negative (see 002 Negative.jpg - red circle) I noticed the hairy/hairline silhouette. Looks like a silhouette of the hinge seal (see yellow circled area on camera). My suspicion is that once the film got on the spool after being exposed some light leaked in. 001 and 002 reflect this theory but several frames (see 003) from the negatives don't have the streak across the frame. So, I guess it depended on the sun being at the right angle to have crept in or the available time/light between shots/exposures. This was the second roll on this body and the first roll had no such issues. I also vaguely recall hearing the door click in when I changed lenses like it wasn't closed properly. Grrr.

My plan is to tape up the hinge area with black electrical tape (I've got film in the body at present) and continue shooting. For the last few frames I'll remove the tape and put it back in a pattern over the hinge - some areas covered and some uncovered. Then, shine a light onto the hinge. The theory is that if the light leak is from that area (and the door is properly shut) that it will show up once developed in the pattern of the tape. I hope. If nothing shows up on the roll at all, I guess it means I should be more careful and ensure that I close the door properly in future.

Once the current roll is developed. I'll check back let you know my findings.

Thanks for everyones input.
Attached Images

06-13-2017, 12:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks looks like leak into take up spool chamber.

XP2 super film!

Gather large scissors, foam mouse mat or similar, wooded tool like chop stick, scapel, can zippo fluid double sided pressure sensitive tape.

Check out foam in mirror box to.

After get used tank and changing bag, I'd get an enlarger and print processing tube as well, dark room not necessary.

07-28-2017, 12:07 AM - 2 Likes   #8

Original Poster
Just to follow up. I shot a roll of Tri-X and forgot to tape up the hinge (I did tape up the door but on the opposite side...rolls eyes). Results here - https://flic.kr/s/aHsm4WirLc.

It seems there is nothing wrong with the seals - fortunately. Just me not having closed the door properly on the previous roll.

Thanks.
Attached Images

07-28-2017, 01:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good news, much better results.

Phil.