Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2017, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd say overexpose ("pull" the film), and develop the film at the "new" iso you set the film to.
E.g. You "pull" the 100 iso film to 50 iso, and develop for 50 iso.

06-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For 10 year old 100 ASA - shoot and develop as if for fifty. So yes, pull by one stop throughout.

(Shooting at 100 and developing for 50 is when you want to pull interesting Ansel Adams-like tricks with the way contrast, shadows and highlights come out, and IMO is best reserved for sheet films where you are literally developing one snapped image at a time. For 35mm this sort of stuff is best left for when you have a 100ft roll of the same stuff you're bulk loading and you are loading short reels and snapping three or four frames of the exact same thing to test what happens.)
06-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speed loss on BW film is less than many here contend, if stored in moderate conditions.
However overexposing one stop won't hurt. Some do this with non-expired film as well.

Chris
06-08-2017, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

A bunch of tips here: Expired Film Day - Two stops over, and straight on 'til morning.

06-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #20
Pentaxian

As a data point, I didn't over expose my old 320TXP (expired c. 2000) and got decent results I feel. In fact I pushed the film a stop.
06-09-2017, 04:07 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Some do this with non-expired film as well.
Some films seem to need it. Lomography's 35mm colour films (the "normal" ones, not the funky weird toned stuff) tend to behave better when slowed down a stop. 800 in particular is operating on the ragged margin of its competence to start with. I'm beginning to suspect they deliberately overrate their films by a stop to put them on that ragged edge, so the user gets that horrific washed-out, underexposed look that Lomo people seem to enjoy pushing as cool. I sort of enjoy their existence because they're a rebellion against the line of thought that in order to take decent pictures, one must strap a kilogram of carefully crafted glass to the front of one's camera at a combined price halfway to five figures. That said, they do go a little too far the other way sometimes. I don't mind that seventies Kodak print look - I admit I get nostalgic for it because that's when I grew up - but it can get a little overdone sometimes. The days of those emulsions are over now, and I can only think with what envy the casual photographers of the 70s might look upon the glossy 6x4's today's film chemistry turns out.
06-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
So, overexpose on shot, or pull during development?

Or should it be overexposed, and pulled during development?
I would just shoot it and have fun and not sweat the details. After all, it is the first excursion for both cameras and you will be shooting metered manual exposure with both. Which camera provides the better experience for you should be readily apparent in use, regardless of whether the exposure was optimized to the film.

Steve

06-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would just shoot it and have fun and not sweat the details. After all, it is the first excursion for both cameras and you will be shooting metered manual exposure with both. Which camera provides the better experience for you should be readily apparent in use, regardless of whether the exposure was optimized to the film.

Steve
Unless it has been cooked should be ok if it has been cooked nothing will work.
Shoot and soup as normal
06-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shoot a test roll.
If negatives are a little thin on the next roll overexpose one stop and develop as normal.
And so on, adjusting as required.

Chris
06-11-2017, 04:42 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Shoot a test roll.
If negatives are a little thin on the next roll overexpose one stop and develop as normal.
And so on, adjusting as required.

Chris
He's got ONE ROLL OF EACH, and trying to work out how best to use them as one shot deals.
06-11-2017, 06:18 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
He's got ONE ROLL OF EACH, and trying to work out how best to use them as one shot deals.

Indeed, not useful for the OP, but valid as a general suggestion for users who find themselves with multiple rolls, which is more often the case.

Chris