Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2017, 03:41 AM   #1

Gotta sell something.. LX?

I lost my mind in the last year in my return to film. Acquired an ME, ME Super, MG, MX, KX, LX, PZ-1P, and SF1N. I had the KX and MX serviced by Eric so those are good to go. All the others function fine although the MG does sometimes not fire after advancing the film. I really strangely enjoy the SF1N and PZ-1P probably the most. I think this is because I started serious film photography on ZX series cameras. Anyway, I need money and I need to thin the herd so I turn to you fine people for advice. I can justify keeping 3-4 of these. Here are my thoughts on each:

ME: minty condition but not as useful as the ME super

ME super: really like it but worried about reliability

MG: so cheap it won't bring much money especially with the intermittent shutter firing (although seldom) I actually bought it because MG is my initials so I thought it was a must have!

KX: the K1000 on steroids, this one is the most quality feeling one behind the LX, CLA'ed by Eric and ready.

MX: I like it but it doesn't feel as refined as the LX or the KX in my opinion, the film advance feels quite rough but I had it CLA'ed by Eric so it should be good for a long time

LX: I would prefer to keep it because it does feel the best, but it will bring me the most cash and I need cash. Plus I am honestly concerned about reliability at this point and not liking CLA prices on these.

PZ-1P: I have less than $50 into it and really like it. It is mint and is probably the most reliable auto focus pentax.

SF1N: the big surprise here, fun and easy to use, surprisingly capable, feels indestructible, and got it for $25 with Lens in mint condition.

I would like to keep one that is considered a pro camera just for ridiculous reasoning of "pro" camera brainwashing. So that is basically MX vs LX I guess. The MX is probably the more reliable in the long haul by nature of being simpler and of course newly CLA'ed... but the LX just looks so badass.

Sorry for the long post. If you could keep 3-4, which ones would stay. Keep in mind, I need some cash so selling all the cheapies isn't really an option!!

06-09-2017, 03:53 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep the MX for its reliability. Keep the ME as it complements its fully-manual sibling. Decide between the PZ-1P and the SF1N. Shed everything else.

Once upon a midnight dreary
As I packed my LX weary
Into bubble wrap so cleary
And a box upon my floor
Came an email in my inbox
From the expert, what a grim shock
Bearing news I'd never thought I'd come to hear of heretofore...

"Parts for LX, nevermore."

Get rid of it while it still works.
06-09-2017, 04:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gutter rock Quote
I lost my mind in the last year in my return to film. Acquired an ME, ME Super, MG, MX, KX, LX, PZ-1P, and SF1N. I had the KX and MX serviced by Eric so those are good to go. All the others function fine although the MG does sometimes not fire after advancing the film. I really strangely enjoy the SF1N and PZ-1P probably the most. I think this is because I started serious film photography on ZX series cameras. Anyway, I need money and I need to thin the herd so I turn to you fine people for advice. I can justify keeping 3-4 of these. Here are my thoughts on each:

ME: minty condition but not as useful as the ME super

ME super: really like it but worried about reliability

MG: so cheap it won't bring much money especially with the intermittent shutter firing (although seldom) I actually bought it because MG is my initials so I thought it was a must have!

KX: the K1000 on steroids, this one is the most quality feeling one behind the LX, CLA'ed by Eric and ready.

MX: I like it but it doesn't feel as refined as the LX or the KX in my opinion, the film advance feels quite rough but I had it CLA'ed by Eric so it should be good for a long time

LX: I would prefer to keep it because it does feel the best, but it will bring me the most cash and I need cash. Plus I am honestly concerned about reliability at this point and not liking CLA prices on these.

PZ-1P: I have less than $50 into it and really like it. It is mint and is probably the most reliable auto focus pentax.

SF1N: the big surprise here, fun and easy to use, surprisingly capable, feels indestructible, and got it for $25 with Lens in mint condition.

I would like to keep one that is considered a pro camera just for ridiculous reasoning of "pro" camera brainwashing. So that is basically MX vs LX I guess. The MX is probably the more reliable in the long haul by nature of being simpler and of course newly CLA'ed... but the LX just looks so badass.

Sorry for the long post. If you could keep 3-4, which ones would stay. Keep in mind, I need some cash so selling all the cheapies isn't really an option!!
PZ-1P is a pro camera also, and very reliable.
06-09-2017, 06:39 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatever you do, keep the KX. One of the best, if not the all time best Pentax camera.

06-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

LX CLA does not have to be that expensive. I had my serviced for $80 USD...
06-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
I am kind of leaning KX, MX, PZ-1p.
Selling the LX might allow me to keep one other as well. Geez, it is so much harder to sell them than buy them!
06-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Pentax LX had been overhauled by Eric so I knew it would be good for years.
But next time it needs service who knows? I sold mine, along with my other
expensive electronic cameras. Mechanical cameras can do everything I require,
and are more likely to be repairable long into the future. I kept my KX bodies.

Chris

06-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Whatever you do, keep the KX. One of the best, if not the all time best Pentax camera.
Agreed. I have 2 KXs and it is one of the best in terms of reliability, features, and usefulness. I love my LX, Super Programs, ME SE, ME Super, MXs, K1000, and KM, But the LX, ME SE, ME Super, and Super Programs all rely on batteries and functional electronics. The MXs, K1000, and KM are all great mechanical cameras but if I'm going to choose a mechanical with no auto exposure modes, it's going to be the KX by a mile. If the meter in the KX should fail with no parts for repair, I'll just pull out the trusty Sekonic L8 and keep on shooting. I'd probably use my S1a, SV, K or AP a lot more then too.
06-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #9

Original Poster
I am guessing KX parts should be the most abundant since it surely shares a large amount of parts with the K1000 right? There is a bazillion K1000's on earth! If so, that would definitely lock the KX on my keeper list. Plus I have owned 2 K1000's that worked perfectly for years.
06-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW I was in the same boat (almost.....I had a few more including an MZ-S) a few years ago and sold all but the KX and the PZ-1p for film. No regrets. Now I have too many digital bodies :-)
06-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
Agreed. I have 2 KXs and it is one of the best in terms of reliability, features, and usefulness. I love my LX, Super Programs, ME SE, ME Super, MXs, K1000, and KM, But the LX, ME SE, ME Super, and Super Programs all rely on batteries and functional electronics. The MXs, K1000, and KM are all great mechanical cameras but if I'm going to choose a mechanical with no auto exposure modes, it's going to be the KX by a mile. If the meter in the KX should fail with no parts for repair, I'll just pull out the trusty Sekonic L8 and keep on shooting. I'd probably use my S1a, SV, K or AP a lot more then too.
I have a Ricoh XR-1, which is more or less a KX clone without the mirror lockup, and an MX, which like the KX is also full-manual when the chips are down and the batteries are dead or the electronics fry. The MX would get the gig for ongoing use because I prefer the smaller size; the few things the XR-1 does better (slightly faster film speeds, multiple exposure button), I don't anticipate using enough to matter. As for the mirror lock up, I don't shoot film cameras that way. And the compact size of the MX means that for me, it travels better.

It's all a matter of taste and ergonomics, I guess. To each their own.
06-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gutter rock Quote
Unfortunately that is the reality of the matter.

It is an unfortunate situation to be in so best of luck to you.
06-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks! However I don't want it to sound like a down and out story. Just trying to raise some extra funds to take my family to the beach for a week. One of my sons is entering high school so I don't know how many more of these opportunities I will get. Those memories are more important than an arsenal of cameras. I am leaning KX, MX, PZ-1P as the keepers. Think I will need a winder grip for the MX though, I think it would feel better in my long skeletal hands.
06-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Of those, I would most likely keep the LX, just because it feels so nice to use, but I can't make the money decision for you. My second choice would be the MX; I don't have any experience with the MX myself, but I like the smaller size/weight cameras. But if you think the MX is too small (therefore you need the winder grip), why not get rid of it and just keep the KX instead?

Last edited by leekil; 06-09-2017 at 09:17 PM.
06-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Kudos to pathdoc for the beautiful poetry!