Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2017, 07:10 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Pentax MX and a DSLR guy

I recently saw an MX and pair of lenses ( 55mm and 100mm ) for sale super-cheap, so I decided on a whim to grab them and see how I liked shooting film instead of a DSLR. This weekend I shot a roll of Portra 400, and just had it developed and scanned today. This was the first time I'd shot film other than P&S cameras a 20 years ago...

People who were walking by were fascinated because it was clear that I was shooting an SLR due to the EXTREMELY loud shutter and mirror. The experience was a lot more satisfying than I expected, and certainly I had to take a lot more care with each shot. I found that focusing with the 100mm was quite challenging when wide open; it was definitely helped by being able to use the vertical lines of the glasses frames in my subjects. I expect it will be more difficult with people who don't need them. :-)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
06-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Lovely shots and welcome to the bottomless rabbit hole that is the world of film Out of interest, which 100mm version did you pick up?

QuoteOriginally posted by mulveyr Quote
I found that focusing with the 100mm was quite challenging when wide open; it was definitely helped by being able to use the vertical lines of the glasses frames in my subjects. I expect it will be more difficult with people who don't need them. :-)
Don't forget the microprisms for focussing - they're very effective, especially when your subject doesn't have a straight line to use with the split prism

People who were walking by were fascinated because it was clear that I was shooting an SLR due to the EXTREMELY loud shutter and mirror.
Really? I've never found the MX shutter to be noticeably louder than any of my dSLRs...
06-19-2017, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was shooting an SLR due to the EXTREMELY loud shutter
They probably think you can turn off the 'shutter sound effect' in the settings. ;-)
06-20-2017, 04:44 AM   #4
Forum Member

Great shots - looks like you got yourself a good cheap new toy :-)

it doesn't take long to get used to focusing with the split prism. That is the biggest thing i miss shooting manual focus with my DSLRs

06-20-2017, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robin CB Quote
That is the biggest thing i miss shooting manual focus with my DSLRs
The biggest thing I would miss is the gigantic and bright viewfinder in the MX especially when compared to the tiny ones in any DSLR . . .
06-20-2017, 05:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Lovely shots and welcome to the bottomless rabbit hole that is the world of film Out of interest, which 100mm version did you pick up?
The version I got is : SMC Pentax-M 100mm F2.8 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database It has some nicks on the front element, they're not discernable in the final images.

Don't forget the microprisms for focussing - they're very effective, especially when your subject doesn't have a straight line to use with the split prism
I definitely need more practice with them; it wasn't aways immediately obvious to me that they were showing focus even when the split prism made it obvious when used against their glasses. I tried a couple of things I'd read about online--wiggling back and forth a smidge to look for a "shimmer", etc, but it didn't seem to help all that much.

Really? I've never found the MX shutter to be noticeably louder than any of my dSLRs...
Definitely loud. :-) Several people commented on it! I'm not seeing any shutter shock, even at some very slow speeds later in the evening, but you definitely know that something happened.

Overall I'm really pleased; there don't appear to be any light leaks, and the meter is quite accurate except for a tendency to under expose about 1/2 stop at 1/30.

---------- Post added 06-20-17 at 08:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
They probably think you can turn off the 'shutter sound effect' in the settings. ;-)
lol! I actually had one kid ask how I could see the pictures. :-)

---------- Post added 06-20-17 at 08:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The biggest thing I would miss is the gigantic and bright viewfinder in the MX especially when compared to the tiny ones in any DSLR . . .
It's really quite nice!
06-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

From the look of those sample photos film agrees with you.

The MX is loud? Buy yourself an SFXn and when you think that's loud when it fires the shutter, wait for it to rewind the roll...

The Pentax 55mm lenses are very good indeed. Presumably you got either the 55/1.8 or f/2 bayonet-mount versions. The 100mm f/2.8 is also pretty good.

06-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's really quite nice!
Comes in real handy when trying to get critical focus with an f1.2 lens wide open . . .

BTW, loud compared to what?
06-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
EXTREMELY loud shutter and mirror
Great shots!

You might want to get the mirror damper foam checked out.
06-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Great shots!

You might want to get the mirror damper foam checked out.
I agree, my ME Super (which is supposed to have a pretty quiet shutter) was always very loud until I scraped away all the gunky old disintegrated foam and stuck a new bit on. Now I get the normal quick and inconspicuous ME Super 'click' upon shutter release.

I have read on this forum that the MX has a louder shutter than other Pentax SLRs however.
06-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The version I got is : SMC Pentax-M 100mm F2.8 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database It has some nicks on the front element, they're not discernable in the final images.
Good find, the M100/f2.8 is a lovely little bit of glass
06-21-2017, 05:53 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by callumross Quote
I agree, my ME Super (which is supposed to have a pretty quiet shutter) was always very loud until I scraped away all the gunky old disintegrated foam and stuck a new bit on. Now I get the normal quick and inconspicuous ME Super 'click' upon shutter release.

I have read on this forum that the MX has a louder shutter than other Pentax SLRs however.
I did check out the foam for the rear seals as well as the the mirror bumper, and they all look almost new, for what it's worth, so I'm guessing that at some point it had a CLA.

For the noise level, my main basis of comparison is my K3 and recollections of SLR's used by other people in the past, and my MX is definitely much louder than that. But, since it doesn't seem to actually be affecting anything, I'll live with it. :-)