Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2017, 11:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Soft releases - useful or fashionable?

Hi all, I'm curious... What is it with soft releases?

Does anyone use them? Are they handy? Do they improve handling? Are they just there to pretty it up?

Subjectively, I've seen a massive increase in the popularity of soft-releases, that seems to mirror the increase in popularity of film amongst younger shooters (like me I guess). I'm seeing them selling for $100aud+ and I admit I'm puzzled...

Thoughts on the state of things?

06-28-2017, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never understood the term "soft release" for these things. "Button extension" would be a better description, as that's what most (perhaps all?) of them are. To that end, they increase the height of the button, allowing you to use the pad of your fore-finger rather than the tip. I haven't tried one, so can't comment on their effectiveness, but some people say they prefer the feel with them fitted. To me, it looks more like a trim thing than a practical improvement, but I'll reserve proper judgement until I actually try one
06-28-2017, 12:36 AM   #3

I use these on film, but not on digital.
06-28-2017, 01:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by splash_fr Quote
I use these on film, but not on digital.
But why?

06-28-2017, 01:44 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They are primarily aesthetic accessories.

For film photographers there was always a fair amount of travel to a manual cameras shutter button. Part of photographic technique called for holding the camera shutter button partway, almost to the point of firing it. Every camera had a different pressure point, and mechanical feedback. The upshot of doing this is that it reduced any vibrations or jerking motions imparted to the camera by fully depressing the shutter like most casual photographers do. However this technique isn't considered part of standard technique any more due to manufacturers linking AF activation to half-press point on most entry-level camera shutter buttons*. This technique is useful for camera stabilization if you are manually focusing or have AF activation mapped to a separate control.

It has been said the extension afforded by soft releases is to give photographers more leverage on the shutter button - however my experience doesn't reflect this, if anything soft releases get in the way of the tactile feedback you get from a mechanical shutter.

*most entry level cameras lack the ability to re-map AF activation to a different control.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-28-2017 at 04:11 PM.
06-28-2017, 03:24 AM   #6
dmr

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Does anyone use them?
Yes, I do on the Canon and Mamiya rangefinders.

QuoteQuote:
Are they handy? Do they improve handling?
Yes and yes to some extent. I find they give a smoother action on the shutter release when I'm shooting low light and really concentrating on holding still.

QuoteQuote:
I'm seeing them selling for $100aud+
I'm obviously in the wrong business! I got mine for a few $$ at a local camera shop.
06-28-2017, 03:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Being cynical, I'd say the useful ones date back from the fifties or sixties and are now dirt cheap; the fashionable ones will violate your wallet and do not much more.

06-28-2017, 03:56 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Being cynical, I'd say the useful ones date back from the fifties or sixties and are now dirt cheap; the fashionable ones will violate your wallet and do not much more.
Yes, but... but... this one works as a soft release button and lapel pin!! One item, two functions!!
Attached Images

06-28-2017, 04:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, but... but... this one works as a soft release button and lapel pin!! One item, two functions!!
Okay, that's sort of cool.
06-28-2017, 06:27 AM   #10

But why?
It is a smother movement of the shutter release with the button. And it looks nice on old cameras. And you don't get dirt in the screw in hole.
I got a pack of two for half a euro.
06-28-2017, 07:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

But why?
I use one on my Contax, but not on my other cameras. In this case, it's more comfortable and I found I had less camera shake — the way the IIa's shutter release is designed, it's difficult for me to fire without a downward stabbing motion otherwise.
06-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
I use one on my Contax, but not on my other cameras. In this case, it's more comfortable and I found I had less camera shake — the way the IIa's shutter release is designed, it's difficult for me to fire without a downward stabbing motion otherwise.
I think that's pretty much the classic use-case for these
06-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
this one works as a soft release button and lapel pin!!
Should I be embarrassed that I own one?
06-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Should I be embarrassed that I own one?
That depends. Do you use it as both a soft release and lapel pin, just one or the other, or neither?
06-28-2017, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Neither, I don't like soft releases and I'm not a fan of Lapel pins. Lets just say I'm giving it the Dada treatment, everything is useless.