Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mirror jammed up - Super A / Super Program

Hi

I received a Super A body (same as Super Program, different color) with its mirror jammed up. The shutter seems to be cocked. Maybe the previous user fired the shutter, but the shutter curtain failed to move and the mirror is sticking up?

I bought this body because it had the ever-ready case and a beautiful neck strap with it for my other Super A/Program bodies and the price was ok. I think sending the faulty body for repair is too expensive in this case, as I do have 2 similar working bodies already. But if there's a way to fix the body at home, I'm willing to try. I wouldn't lose anything . I tried to google for fixes but it seems that there are lots of guides for fixing the Me Super, but not the Super A. The shutter mechanism is very much the same in Me Super?

At least I have some spare parts for my other bodies, if I can't get this one fixed

08-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

see signature
08-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The simplest cause to fix: the foam is shot and the mirror is sticking to it. If the problem resolves by shaking the camera... oh wait, you're saying the shutter's jammed also? If you can wind and fire the shutter, then either replace the foam or there's some mirror release related mechanics. Can you gingerly push the mirror downwards to see if that releases it?

And the shutter, is it open, closed, partially either?
08-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The shutter seems to be in the cocked/winded position and fully closed. I pulled the mirror down a bit but it goes back up. The foam is sticky but it's not keeping the mirror up.

I also hit it, still won't work

08-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

And of course you've tried to wind it a bit more to see if that completes the arming cycle (I'm thinking of the times I end up mid-stroke at the end of a roll)...

Um... I can't remember everything and I'm probably getting this confused with the OM2s... can you set the shutter onto a mechanical speed? In other words, are the batteries working?

If these easy things don't help, yeah, it sounds like the mechanics have gone out of synch and you'll need to find some good pics on the net.

ps. good thing the Finnish women showed up at the Olympics: Stén ja Nieminen olivat hienot yllatykset!

Last edited by Nesster; 08-18-2008 at 02:51 PM.
08-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I already tried to move the wind lever and setting the shutter to 1/125 mechanical speed with no success. Battery is ok. I've tried everything I guess, it's broken

Hehe I was more interested in Phelps winning 8 golds than the Finnish women. May I ask where you got your language skills, Nesster?
08-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow I pushed the shutter curtain down a bit and the mirror came down, but now when winding the shutter curtain won't do anything and I can wind over and over again..

I was wrong before, the shutter wasn't in the winded position. It was actually in the fired position but not completely down, so when pushed down a bit the mirror came down. Now the shutter is in the winded position.

08-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another update, sorry for the spam

I've managed to fire the shutter many times now, but I always have to wind it 2-5 times before I can fire the shutter. Weird behaviour.
08-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

very strange.

I was born in Turku and lived a bit in Helsinki. Moved to the states way back in '71 or so. The olympics and the ice hockey championships are the main ways for me to be tribal.
08-19-2008, 01:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I pulled the winder for maybe 2 hours last night and now the shutter fires after every wind. Now I've noticed though that the camera underexposures 2-3 steps. Problems continue
08-19-2008, 04:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may just need exercise
keep firing/winding

Take the battery out and repeat
put fresh batteries and check the meter, if it keep under/over exposing consnstently then just adjust your film speed accordingly

QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
Another update, sorry for the spam

I've managed to fire the shutter many times now, but I always have to wind it 2-5 times before I can fire the shutter. Weird behaviour.
08-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Meh..... It wasn't the Super A underexposing, my Super Program (different body) is overexposing 3 steps. The ASA dial on it seems to be broken, here's what the exposure times are with different ASA speeds

ASA 6 1/2000
ASA 8 1/2000
ASA 10 1/2000
ASA 12 1/2000
ASA 16 1/2000
ASA 20 1/2000
ASA 25 1/15
ASA 32 1/15
ASA 40 1/1

So now my recently acquired Super A is working quite well, but my Super Program that I got one month earlier stopper working properly. Karma..
08-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
It may just need exercise
keep firing/winding
Off topic, Titrisol, I love your avatar..everytime I see it I want to copy it, but I digress, back on topic..
08-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #14
Forum Member

I'm no expert, but...

The overexposure is probably due to the dirt under the ASA-dial and the occasionally working shutter is probably caused by a rotten rubber washer in the shutter mechanism.

Both problems are pretty common in ME Super, and I believe the SuperA is pretty similar to it? At least my ME Super had those problems