Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Information overload?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've seen this listed before on ebay and had to chuckle at the note taking.I could see the person missing a shot because they were to busy researching
their notes.Pentax Super Program Film Camera With 2 Lenses, Case, Flash & Tons of Extras

07-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! I remember taking some notes back in the day, but that? Serious overload.
07-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Shame really that his 'obsession' did not extend to keeping the kit in better condition. I wonder if he ever took any photos at all.
07-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Shame really that his 'obsession' did not extend to keeping the kit in better condition.
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I wonder if he ever took any photos at all.
Looking at the notes on the case,at least maybe of the Grand Canyon and a green caterpillar.

07-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a fascinating glimpse into that photographer's working environment.

Perhaps the person had a memory problem or an attention disorder - or, just wanted to make sure he/she remembered their key settings. Whatever the reason, they were organized in their own fashion!

Too bad the gear is in rough shape. (But functional according to the description.)

- Craig
07-26-2017, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Almost like someone was labeling the parts to be a "how to" for someone else who knew nothing about photography and the camera and was going to be using it - like it was being loaned for a trip that included a visit to the Grand Canyon. Also makes me think of watching folks fighting dementia/Alzheimer's and struggling through with things that used to be routine, and trying to come up with a way to keep going as long as possible. In his final years, my grandfather would take notes throughout the day, so at the end he could sit with the family and have a conversation about what we had all been doing together.
07-26-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I looks like the owner used it to squish the caterpillar and then threw the camera into the Grand Canyon...

07-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I looks like the owner used it to squish the caterpillar and then threw the camera into the Grand Canyon...
true that
07-26-2017, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Almost like someone was labeling the parts to be a "how to" for someone else who knew nothing about photography and the camera and was going to be using it - like it was being loaned for a trip that included a visit to the Grand Canyon. Also makes me think of watching folks fighting dementia/Alzheimer's and struggling through with things that used to be routine, and trying to come up with a way to keep going as long as possible. In his final years, my grandfather would take notes throughout the day, so at the end he could sit with the family and have a conversation about what we had all been doing together.
I'm afraid you may be right with the dimensia/Alzheimer's theory. Sad if so. A photographer trying to hang on to an integral part of his/her being for as long as possible.
Daryl
07-26-2017, 10:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I was thinking perhaps it was an obsessive compulsive egghead academic type. I work with a few like that.
07-27-2017, 06:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I think the owner is one of those meticulous photographers who agonised over and planned every shot, probably took entire rolls of spectacular keepers which we may never know about, recorded every detail of every exposure, and left their legacy.

What a priceless gift for a starting photographer. Someone with a true love of photography who seriously wants to get into film deserves to win this.
07-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I think the owner is one of those meticulous photographers who agonised over and planned every shot, probably took entire rolls of spectacular keepers which we may never know about, recorded every detail of every exposure, and left their legacy.

What a priceless gift for a starting photographer. Someone with a true love of photography who seriously wants to get into film deserves to win this.
Agree, but I think this is such a great piece of Everyman film history, it should go in a museum of photography exactly as is. Life before digital metadata, complicated in a different way for egghead photographers, utterly delightful to see. Legacy is a good description: it's like a treasure trove of someone's mental processes.
07-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Were it a dSLR the previous owner would have required a steamer trunk full of notes and instructions.

Chris
07-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was thinking field camera for use by grad students or such, with the notes borne from years of explaining things over and over again...

I've seen notes a lot like that on the back of old, beat-up Nikon FMs used to shoot graduations, etc.

-Eric
07-28-2017, 02:12 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Shame really that his 'obsession' did not extend to keeping the kit in better condition. I wonder if he ever took any photos at all.
@35mmfilmfan I took you off my ignore list to see exactly what @dcshooter was reacting to.

Having seen, I now gleefully and enthusiastically return you to it. For keeps.

Your perceptiveness in this matter is depressingly lacking. You sicken me.