Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
How does the KX know what aperture you've set the lens at? Is there a coupling within the mount that automatically detects it? Do you need to enter anything regarding the aperture outside of setting it?
You're correct. Check The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount article. It's called the "aperture simulator".

08-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, there is a coupling ring that reads the aperture position of the lens and feeds the information to the camera's meter. Nice catch by the way. I bought my first Pentax film camera, an ME SE, about 10 months ago. Now I think I have 18 pentax film bodies including 2 KXs. It's a very tough call for me between the KX and the LX but the KX might just be my favorite. You have chosen well.
08-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very interesting stuff. I was wondering how it knew how much to adjust exposure based on aperture. Now I see that it doesn't need to know it, it just needs to know how many stops it is from fully open. Thanks for pointing me to the article!

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
You're correct. Check The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount article. It's called the "aperture simulator".

---------- Post added 08-01-17 at 12:50 PM ----------

Well, I owe a lot of it to the feedback I've read about the cams on this site. What a great resource!

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
Yes, there is a coupling ring that reads the aperture position of the lens and feeds the information to the camera's meter. Nice catch by the way. I bought my first Pentax film camera, an ME SE, about 10 months ago. Now I think I have 18 pentax film bodies including 2 KXs. It's a very tough call for me between the KX and the LX but the KX might just be my favorite. You have chosen well.
08-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #19
Pentaxian

How does the KX know what aperture you've set the lens at?
The aperture reporting arm (look for it on the right of the mount as you look in at the mirror, opposite side to the shutter release etc) links to its compatriot on the lens and reports (by means of a potentiometer) the number of stops away from fully open. The meter itself reads the fully open result; the reporting arm adds the correcting factor. The explicit aperture value is not signalled, nor does it need to be.

08-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

18 bodies in 10 months is really efficient!
08-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Decided that I wanted to jump into film a bit, and bid on and won a KX on eBay, along with a few lenses (basically duplicates of ones I already have).
Great choice for your first film body. I've had my KX since late 1975 and it's still going strong. (Thanks to Eric of course!!)

Even though I have technically better film cameras, the KX is still my favourite body.

Phil.
08-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that you have a KX there's no need to buy another Pentax film camera.

Which doesn't account for want.

08-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
18 bodies in 10 months is really efficient!
I've now entered the culling phase, purging anything that I have 2 (or more) of. My end goal is not to exceed 14 Pentax 35mm film bodies. This of course does not include the Mamiya C33 and RB67 PRO S systems that I acquired during the same period.
08-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I've now entered the culling phase, purging anything that I have 2 (or more) of. My end goal is not to exceed 14 Pentax 35mm film bodies. This of course does not include the Mamiya C33 and RB67 PRO S systems that I acquired during the same period.
Wow. 14! I think I'm only up to 8. One of which was DOA and another will soon be on the auction block.
08-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Wow. 14! I think I'm only up to 8. One of which was DOA and another will soon be on the auction block.
27 film cameras here ...

9x Asahi/Pentax (H1a, Spotmatic SP, Spotmatc F, K2, MX, K1000, ME Super, Super-A, 645). All in working order. Barring an LX and Asahiflex K or AP at bargain prices, I'm done!
14x Others in working order with currently available film 35mm and 120, but also 620 and Polaroid/Fuji C100 which is sometimes difficult to find)
4x Nice display cameras in working order but for which film is no longer available (616, Polaroid 80 filmpack and Kodak Autographic)

Good thing I got over my LBA.

Last edited by ripper2860; 08-02-2017 at 07:10 PM.
08-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
28 film cameras here ...

9x Asahi/Pentax (H1a, Spotmatic SP, Spotmatc F, K2, MX, K1000, ME Super, Super-A, 645). All in working order. Barring an LX and Asahiflex K or AP at bargain prices, I'm done!
15x Others in working order with currently available film 35mm and 120, but also 620 and Polaroid/Fuji C100 which is sometimes difficult to find)
4x Nice display cameras in working order but for which film is no longer available (616, Polaroid 80 filmpack and Kodak Autographic)

Good thing I got over my LBA.
Okay, if we're comparing:

One Asahi Pentax S1a.
Two Spotmatics (one Asahi, one Honeywell; one bought in order to own one; the other a passenger with the lens I wanted).
One Spotmatic 500 bought 'for parts or repair' as teardown practice (amazingly it works, although the meter is kaput).
One Spotmatic F (because I already had a bunch of SMC or S-M-C Takumars).
One Fujica ST-705, bought for MX size in an M42 body.
One Ricoh XR-1 (the "poor man's KX"; no mirror-up, but does have a multi-exposure switch). Meter on this one is behaving dubiously, but I could well end up using it as an unmetered K-mount body and pre-flashing B&W film for shadow detail per Ansel Adams, or letting my kids learn the ropes on it.
One Pentax MX.
One Pentax ME.
One Pentax Super Program, bought cheap to run tests with DA lenses on film at various shutter speeds and apertures, and also to test analogue TTL flash.
One Pentax P3 (inherited from late father in law; the slippery slope into film)
One Pentax P30T (bought when I thought the P3 had died, but the P3 actually looks like outlasting it).

Throw on top of that my three DSLRs (*istDS, K-5, K-1) and I have the field as covered as I want it to be. The only thing that isn't represented here is the power-winding, all-singing, all-dancing line of Pentax AF cameras. When I was in my mid-late teens I dreamed of an SFXn or SF7, but now that they are dirt cheap and going for a song I just don't want one any more. Go figure.
08-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Okay, if we're comparing:

One Asahi Pentax S1a.
Two Spotmatics (one Asahi, one Honeywell; one bought in order to own one; the other a passenger with the lens I wanted).
One Spotmatic 500 bought 'for parts or repair' as teardown practice (amazingly it works, although the meter is kaput).
One Spotmatic F (because I already had a bunch of SMC or S-M-C Takumars).
One Fujica ST-705, bought for MX size in an M42 body.
One Ricoh XR-1 (the "poor man's KX"; no mirror-up, but does have a multi-exposure switch). Meter on this one is behaving dubiously, but I could well end up using it as an unmetered K-mount body and pre-flashing B&W film for shadow detail per Ansel Adams, or letting my kids learn the ropes on it.
One Pentax MX.
One Pentax ME.
One Pentax Super Program, bought cheap to run tests with DA lenses on film at various shutter speeds and apertures, and also to test analogue TTL flash.
One Pentax P3 (inherited from late father in law; the slippery slope into film)
One Pentax P30T (bought when I thought the P3 had died, but the P3 actually looks like outlasting it).

Throw on top of that my three DSLRs (*istDS, K-5, K-1) and I have the field as covered as I want it to be. The only thing that isn't represented here is the power-winding, all-singing, all-dancing line of Pentax AF cameras. When I was in my mid-late teens I dreamed of an SFXn or SF7, but now that they are dirt cheap and going for a song I just don't want one any more. Go figure.
But, but, but you're missing the KX.
08-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
But, but, but you're missing the KX.
I have no need for the KX.
08-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Need is a 4 letter word?
S1a, 2x Sv, 2x SP, 3xK1000
08-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

A cautionary tale. I started with the Pentax ME Super in my teens. Went Digital with he K110D. Redicovered the ME Super a couple of years ago, had it CLA'ed and started shooting film again. It was my only film camera as of 1.5 years ago ...

35mm Film
Honeywell Pentax H1a (SLR)
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP (SLR)
Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic F (SLR)
Pentax K2 (SLR)
Pentax MX (SLR)
Asahi Pentax K1000 (SLR)
Pentax ME Super (SLR) (My original camera)
Pentax Super-A (SLR)
Konica Auto S2 (Rangefinder)
Konica C35 (Rangefinder)
Minolta Hi-matic F (Rangefinder)*
Yashica Electro 35 GSN (Rangefinder)
Ihagee EXA Dresden (v4, SLR)

120 Film
Pentax 645 (SLR)
Yashica-A (TLR)
Yashica-D (TLR)
Yashica-mat EM (TLR)
Yashica-mat 124 (TLR)
Ricohflex VIIM (TLR)

Folding Cameras
Kodak 620 Duo II (620 film 1/2 frame)
Kodak Model B (A127 Autographic film no longer available)
Polaroid Automatic 250 Land Camera (Rangefinder / Polaroid Film (Fuji C100))
Polaroid Model 80 (film no longer available, but can be converted to 120 film)
Kodak Retina IIIC (35mm Rangefinder)+
Kodak Retina IIa (35mm Rangefinder)
Kodak Retina Ib (35mm)

Box Cameras
Kodak Brownie Flash (620 film)
Kodak Six-16 Brownie Special (616 film no longer available)

Digital Cameras
Pentax K3
Pentax K500
Pentax Q (original)
Pentax K110D
Sony a6000

All in working order except those denoted as follows ...

* Seems to work fine. Oil on blades needs a CLA
+ Electrical issue (Display only)

Bad news: My LBA has developed into Camera Buying Addiction (CBA)

Good News: My camera display case can not hold any more cameras

Bad News: I'm looking for a larger camera display case so...

I can add an LX, Asahiflex AP or K, and a K1 DSLR

I am in desperate need of help ...

Last edited by ripper2860; 08-03-2017 at 07:19 PM.