Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2017, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ME Super

A number of years ago I gave my Pentax ME Super to my niece. It sat in her closet and was never used. When I was up in Oregon just before the eclipse she gave it back to me. I put batteries in it and it seems to be working so I intend to run some black and white film through it to see how it performs.

08-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the light seals and mirror bumper are still good (particularly the latter), chances are it will perform as when it was new. I am looking forward to the results

Steve
08-29-2017, 01:39 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
A number of years ago I gave my Pentax ME Super to my niece. It sat in her closet and was never used.
Excommunicate her from the faith and exile her from Pentaxia forever!!

Last edited by pathdoc; 08-29-2017 at 01:48 PM.
08-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If the light seals and mirror bumper are still good (particularly the latter), chances are it will perform as when it was new. I am looking forward to the results
If not, will it be obvious? I have the prior model - ME - and it has been sitting on the shelf for a long time now. The last time I used it was probably 8 years ago and it seemed to be working fine then. I am tempted to put new batteries in it, load some new film, and see what happens. OP - how many years did it not get used? I am presuming that there is a difference between not being used and being used, but the seals, bumper, and other components may degrade whether used or not. I second the suggestion from another, shoot the film and report back.

08-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I second the suggestion from another, shoot the film and report back.
If the mirror foam is bad, cycling the shutter may fling black goo onto the focus screen and mirror that will be difficult to remove.

Yes, these degrade over time, whether the camera is used or not, and degrade more quickly if the air is rich in ozone. The seals and foam may be fine, but conventional wisdom is to check first if one has been made aware.

Edit: In regards to whether bad foams are obvious...sometimes yes and more often no. The easiest way to test is with a toothpick or similar wooden splint. Touch the light seals and mirror bumper with the toothpick. The material should be resilient and supple without being sticky or crumbly. If sticky or crumbly, that junk has the potential to make its way into the works of the camera.

Steve
08-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One way to check the seals is to rub you finger against the part of the back that pushes in against the seals. If you get black stuff on your finger, the seals are bad.
08-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
If not, will it be obvious? I have the prior model - ME - and it has been sitting on the shelf for a long time now. The last time I used it was probably 8 years ago and it seemed to be working fine then. I am tempted to put new batteries in it, load some new film, and see what happens. OP - how many years did it not get used? I am presuming that there is a difference between not being used and being used, but the seals, bumper, and other components may degrade whether used or not. I second the suggestion from another, shoot the film and report back.
I bought a PZ-1 in the early 90s. At that point the ME Super was relegated to the closet shelf. I gave it to my niece probably about 10 years later. The nearest I can figure, it has not had film or batteries in it for about 25 years.

The film door seals are pretty badly deteriorated but the front mirror seal seems to be OK.I will probably end up replacing both.

---------- Post added 08-31-17 at 06:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
She was never a true beiiever. Her photography is done almost exclusively with an Olympus point and shoot.

---------- Post added 08-31-17 at 06:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
She was never a true beiiever. Her photography is done almost exclusively with an Olympus point and shoot.