Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-30-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MG Issue

Today I grabbed my beloved MG from the cabinet to go do some shooting tomorrow. But it seems to have developed an issue. The film advance lever will not advance and the mirror stays in the up position. Of my film bodies, I was going to use my MG because it has had the most recent CLA. Guess I'll just grab my ME instead as I'm not real fond of the "number" meter system in the viewfinder of the Program Plus, I find it hard to read.

Maybe it's time I find myself an LX. I probably won't pay for another CLA on the MG if it's in need of repairs, I'll just find someone that needs it for repairs and get an LX.

Any ideas on what caused this?

08-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #2

I have an MG that does something similar. After I wind the film, sometimes it doesn't fire the shutter. I can't remember if the mirror is up or down at that point. I hooked up my power winder grip to it and had it cycle the shutter a few hundred times and it seems to do it much less frequently now. Does it fire properly in the bulb mode or the 100x mode? Just wondering if the battery may be weak or corrosion in the battery compartment?
08-31-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gutter rock Quote
I have an MG that does something similar. After I wind the film, sometimes it doesn't fire the shutter. I can't remember if the mirror is up or down at that point. I hooked up my power winder grip to it and had it cycle the shutter a few hundred times and it seems to do it much less frequently now. Does it fire properly in the bulb mode or the 100x mode? Just wondering if the battery may be weak or corrosion in the battery compartment?
Battery is dead. I thought the battery was just for the light meter? If that's all it is then it's an easy fix.
08-31-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update:

I changed out the batteries and of course the light meter started working, but not the advance. If I pull the mirror down by hand (it's not stuck, just returns to the up position) I am able to press the shutter button and I get a half hearted "click" which fully returns the mirror to the up position. The advance lever will not advance at any point.

Oh well...

08-31-2017, 03:19 PM   #5

Sounds like the second shutter curtain is not closing completely. You could very gently nudge it down: I think there was a rivet attaching a hinge/linkage piece that I used my fingernail to push it down about level with the bottom of the opening for the negative. My camera would continually hang up though doing the hundred shutter releases suggested above might have worked
08-31-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kai Theus Quote
Sounds like the second shutter curtain is not closing completely. You could very gently nudge it down: I think there was a rivet attaching a hinge/linkage piece that I used my fingernail to push it down about level with the bottom of the opening for the negative. My camera would continually hang up though doing the hundred shutter releases suggested above might have worked
That's exactly what it was! After a couple of actuations it now works properly.

Do you think it's from sitting too long or does it need some sort of repair?

Much thanks!
08-31-2017, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll bet it's from sitting and it just needs a CLA to replace the oil that has become sticky over the past 30 years and is gumming things up and slowing them down.

09-01-2017, 07:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Had the exact same issue with an ME Super; nudging the second "curtain" down would complete the shutter cycle and allow advance. The same thing happens with cloth focal plane shutters when the second curtain doesn't completely close. In the past, I've use lighter fluid sparingly around the shutter area and allowed the "gunk" to drain while holding the camera upright. This may fix the problem temporarily, but the only thing that will completely cure it is a CLA.