Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Prices for the MX

Hey friends, first time poster here, looking for advice.

I'm trying to buy myself a Pentax 35mm as a back to school present and I'm curious about pricing. I've had my eye on an MX with the f1.7 lens as the model to get, preferably one that's been serviced.

Found some in Japan for $250CAD, however the seller could not confirm the last date of service. The one listing from Australia stated that the camera had been serviced by Eric and was totally good to go, but this one costs almost $400CAD with shipping, which seems a bit excessive to me, but perhaps a totally serviced camera is worth it? I'm not experienced enough to say.

I also have access to some of my uncle's old Pentax bodies, such as a KM and a few K1000, but they have been sitting around for awhile and would probably need to be patched up. I was also looking at the LX but those ain't cheap either, and cost more to maintain.

Any advice?

09-04-2017, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the KM CLA'ed by Eric - about $60 - and a M50/1.7 - $40-$50 - and you're in for less than a serviced MX alone.
09-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Get the KM CLA'ed by Eric - about $60 - and a M50/1.7 - $40-$50 - and you're in for less than a serviced MX alone.
This seems like the way to go. Only reason I was gunning for the MX is because I hear the light meter is really good. I imagine the light meter in the KM will do the job, though.
09-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jellygeist Quote
This seems like the way to go. Only reason I was gunning for the MX is because I hear the light meter is really good. I imagine the light meter in the KM will do the job, though.
I think you might be referring to the MX viewfinder - among the biggest, brightest Pentax VF's ever.

The KM is quite good though - has all the features I need. Needle meter speed indicator vs. MX LED's.

09-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You say your uncle has a couple K1000's ?
I just got back into photography recently.
Dug out my old K1000 that has been stored since the early 90's.
Been stored in the heat of Phoenix Arizona and then transported and stored in the freezing Wisconsin winters.
Pulled it out, popped in a fresh battery, replaced the light seals and mirror bumper, all done myself and the first roll of film was great except for some missed shots that were not the fault of the camera

Good luck and enjoy what you decide on.
cp
09-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Apparently there is a camera repair place in Winnipeg (nearest big city to me), I wonder if they do CLAs on old cameras. Maybe wouldn't do as good a job as Eric but a two hour drive is somewhat preferable to shipping it to the States. I'll have to see.

My dad is gonna bring home a ton of my uncle's cameras and lenses from Edmonton so maybe I'll have a huge stash of old, needy Pentaxes all of a sudden!
09-04-2017, 10:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The MX has a more sensitive and wider range light meter (1-19 EV) while the KM's meter is not quite as sensitive (3-18 EV). Being the owner of an MX, I can state that the View Finder is WONDERFUL -- both large and bright!! While I do not own a KM, I can state that the VF of the MX is nicer than the KM's KX and K2 siblings (which I do own). It is wonderfully light and compact (the size of an ME/ME Super). If one can afford an MX -- it would definitely be the way to go -- IMHO.

09-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When it debuted the Pentax MX was arguably the smallest 35mm SLR ever.
Unfortunately miniaturization did not come without ergonomic compromise.

For many years I have owned both Pentax MX and KM bodies.
Only when I require motorized advance will I opt for the MX.
IMO the KM is a far more pleasant camera for everyday use.

Chris
09-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I will use the KM until I can scrounge and save for an LX later on down the line. Having the meter run all the time while the lens cap is off is kind of annoying but whatever, I'm kind of anal about keeping the lens cap on all the time anyways.

We will see if my uncle has the f1.7 lens. They seem to be pretty cheap on eBay if he does not.
09-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KM exposure meter is always on, whenever you might need it. That's a good thing.
It consumes little power. Even with daily use the battery will last 6 months to one year.

Chris
09-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The KM exposure meter is always on, whenever you might need it. That's a good thing.
It consumes little power. Even with daily use the battery will last 6 months to one year.

Chris
Well, that's good to know. It sounds like a good little workhorse. Especially for the price of zero dollars plus refurbishment and lens.

Speaking of lenses, my uncle has a few of the f1.4 lenses lying around. What's the word on those?

---------- Post added 09-05-17 at 09:14 PM ----------

Well, that's good to know. It sounds like a good little workhorse. Especially for the price of zero dollars plus refurbishment and lens.

Speaking of lenses, my uncle has a few of the f1.4 lenses lying around. What's the word on those?
Sorry, I meant 1.2, not 1.4
09-06-2017, 01:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you use a camera case or gadget bag the light meter switches itself off in dim light.
Silver cells last for year with uv filter & hood lose on bag with lose top cover.
A hearing aid cell will do for several months if stuck on Sunday.

Or

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule
09-06-2017, 07:38 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery

---------- Post added 09-05-17 at 09:14 PM ----------

Sorry, I meant 1.2, not 1.4
If it's the SMC Pentax one, shut off your computer already and go take some photos, #*%@!!!1

Even if it's not, 1.2 lenses are kind of legendary, even with some optical shortcomings.

Also, don't worry too much about CLAs and what not. Check that magic bag full of cameras and lenses and have some fun. If it's not obviously broken, you can just shoot a cheap roll of film with it to see if there's anything in it for you in the first place before you send it off for a repair. Develop a roll of film instead of developing a stomach ulcer before you even tried the camera. If something's wrong, you'll notice it. Even if something's wrong and you don't notice it, that's alright as long as it keeps you taking pictures and you're satisfied with what yo get.

While it seems to be a tendency for some people to have everything CLAed (take a look at a Leica forum, for example - or better, don't) as soon as it arrives in the mail, in my experience these old cameras often can handle sitting around in a basement for a few decades. There will be a few obvious duds from time to time, but most of the cameras I bought or was given worked great or at least well enough for me to decide if I wanted to keep them or have them repaired.
09-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1:1.2 or 1:2? Very common mistake...If it is an M series lens it is 1:2...Pentax only made the 1:1.2 in the K series and the A series.
09-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
1:1.2 or 1:2? Very common mistake...If it is an M series lens it is 1:2...Pentax only made the 1:1.2 in the K series and the A series.
It is the M Series lens. He has three of them. I'll include a pic.