Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #1

Odd Asahi Pentax

Hey guys, I have in my collection an Asahi Pentax "H2", I thought the H2 would have been sold in the US under the Honeywell or Heiland label but this is Asahi, No.207987. Anyone have any info on this?

09-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post a photo?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2017, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you can find Asahi Pentax H2, Asahi Pentax S2, and Honeywell Heiland Pentax H2.
Actually the one in the camera review section is like yours: Pentax S2 (H2) - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
09-13-2017, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Asahi Pentax H2 was sold in Europe along S2 marked bodies. There is another thread showing all the variants in markings of just this specific model.

Here is the post
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/342866-pent...ml#post3955258

09-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Can you post a photo?
This is the camera
Attached Images

09-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The same camera was sold in the USA as the H2 and elsewhere as the S2. The "H" was because Honeywell, Heiland Division, represented Asahi in the USA. Same pattern with the S3/H3. Some H2s were sold in Europe.

Earlier H2s were marked "Asahi Pentax" on the front and "H2" on the top, like yours. In later H2s the front said "Heiland Pentax". The H3 said "Honeywell Pentax". The S1 actually came after the S2 and S3, and was lower spec, and reverted to "Asahi Pentax"; not sure if there was an H1. The S models were available in silver or black, not sure about the H models.
09-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #7

Attached Images

09-14-2017, 12:07 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
The same camera was sold in the USA as the H2 and elsewhere as the S2. The "H" was because Honeywell, Heiland Division, represented Asahi in the USA. Same pattern with the S3/H3. Some H2s were sold in Europe.

Earlier H2s were marked "Asahi Pentax" on the front and "H2" on the top, like yours. In later H2s the front said "Heiland Pentax".
Right, that makes sense. So this camera was more than likely sold in the US pre Honeywell. The H2 that was sold in Europe was branded Asahiflex, these were sold in Finland and South Africa due to Pentacon having registered the name Pentax, I also have one of these.

---------- Post added 09-14-17 at 12:09 AM ----------

Thank guys, I think I get it now
09-14-2017, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Black H2

Turbof has shown us that the H models were also available in black, and his says both Honeywell and Heiland !

BTW black camera bodies were originally introduced in response to demands by candid and reportage photographers who wanted their cameras to be less noticable in the street. After that they acquired a "professional" aura.
09-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
BTW black camera bodies were originally introduced in response to demands by candid and reportage photographers who wanted their cameras to be less noticable in the street. After that they acquired a "professional" aura.
Thanks. I always wondered why all-black cameras became popular.