Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2017, 11:48 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Just have to chime in, YAY for getting a K1000! Best camera ever made.
I like zooms and do most of my shooting with them; they'll give you some versatility in composition as you learn to use the camera. Mine are all Pentax except for a Tokina wide angle zoom which has been quite satisfactory.
You can find lots of "old" K-mount lenses on eBay, often for great prices. Just make sure the seller has good feedback, and I wouldn't buy anything in less than excellent condition.
Have fun and enjoy your wonderful camera!

11-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I've always seen the M40mm as a bit of a marginal deal, considering you can get the 50/f1.7 for a lot less money, and end up with a lens which is almost as small, faster and with significantly better IQ...
I sure would like to see evidence of that significantly better IQ when you get a chance to post it.
11-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I sure would like to see evidence of that significantly better IQ when you get a chance to post it.
I realise this isn't what you're asking for, but it's notable that the M40mm is the lowest rating 'normal' M lens (by some margin), and the M50/f1.7 is the highest...

Pentax M Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
11-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Just have to chime in, YAY for getting a K1000! Best camera ever made.
The K1000 is/was a good solid camera, but to claim it is/was the best ever is a bit rich. For example it is only better than the KM if you think that a self-timer is a disadvantage, because the K1000 was actually a KM with the self-timer (and certain other minor features) removed to save cost. Neither was as good as the contemporary KX or K2 (all were built to the same solid standard) .. but never mind that. Also, beware, the later K1000s were inferior to the earlier ones, with some metal parts replaced by plastic as Pentax aimed it even further down-market, trading by then on the K1000's rather over-stated reputation.

11-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I realise this isn't what you're asking for,...
Too bad as I was so looking forward to seeing evidence of significantly better IQ . . .
11-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The poor M40/2.8 does not get a lot of love, but I have produced many very nice shots with it. I use it quite a lot when travelling, as it weights almost nothing. All those old MF Pentax standard/normal lenses are optically good, you just need to get the one that handles best for you. Some many find the M40/2.8 too small, which it is, but you can use aperture priority or hyperfocal focusing to reduce your interaction with the lens.

Phil.
11-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The poor M40/2.8 does not get a lot of love, but I have produced many very nice shots with it. I use it quite a lot when travelling, as it weights almost nothing. All those old MF Pentax standard/normal lenses are optically good, you just need to get the one that handles best for you. Some many find the M40/2.8 too small, which it is, but you can use aperture priority or hyperfocal focusing to reduce your interaction with the lens.

Phil.
I take the reviews here for what they are - more as user perspectives/opinions, as opposed to technically accurate. Since the gear is now many years older and generally picked up used in who knows what condition, one review may claim a total disaster while another may have an immaculate sample.

It seems to me the M40/2.8 is considered "too expensive" and takes a little getting used to as opposed to being so optically bad unless of course the sample was damaged.

11-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems to me the M40/2.8 is considered "too expensive" and takes a little getting used to as opposed to being so optically bad unless of course the sample was damaged.
Exactly!

Phil.
11-11-2017, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Exactly!

Phil.
A casual test I did of my 50mm lenses - including the 40mm and a 500mm mirror lens, using my K20D shows no significant optical advantages/disadvantages among the Pentax lenses as they are all limited by the 14.6MP sensor. I would consider the mirror lens to be optically challenged.

Full res version -> Pentax Lenses 01

You can see how limiting the 14.6MP sensor results are when you compare to scanned film.

Full res version -> Pentax SMC Macro 50mm f4 serie

And of course you can see from the optical enlargement in the far right how much more detail was captured on film using this lens that could not be resolved by my 4000dpi Coolscan scanner.

I have tested my Pentax prime lenses on film and I didn't find any that was significantly better or worse when it comes to resolving detail. As I said, I've bought all my manual focus prime lenses from the used market - condition unknown and cheap, so perhaps I've just been really lucky?
11-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A casual test I did of my 50mm lenses - including the 40mm and a 500mm mirror lens, using my K20D shows no significant optical advantages/disadvantages among the Pentax lenses as they are all limited by the 14.6MP sensor. I would consider the mirror lens to be optically challenged.
Thanks for posting! I have also found the M40/2.8 to be excellent at f/11, your tests show the same.

Phil.