Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's going on here - spotmatic shutter issue?

I acquired this SP II for the lenses, but there seems to be something off about these two frames of the 12 frame roll I ran through it:

^ Ignore the black bar on the left, that's just a scanning artifact.

One of the shutter curtains does seem to have some spotting (mold?), do you think that might lead to this problem?

10-11-2017, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Both the first and second curtain seem to be dragging a bit at different parts of the travel. Perhaps there's some grit in the channel or track that the curtain travels along.
10-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Definitely looks like a shutter curtain that's not running smoothly. Because the stripes are overexposed, I suspect that the trailing curtain is hesitating. Send the body for a proper CLA.
10-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Both the first and second curtain seem to be dragging a bit at different parts of the travel. Perhaps there's some grit in the channel or track that the curtain travels along.
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Definitely looks like a shutter curtain that's not running smoothly. Because the stripes are overexposed, I suspect that the trailing curtain is hesitating. Send the body for a proper CLA.
Hmm, that's kind of what I thought.

Odd, though, that only these two consecutive frames had issues (Out of the 13).

10-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The second one looks like a double exposure?
10-11-2017, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It may not be as odd as you think if some small bit of grit or flake of paint inside the camera dropped into the track and only sometimes hits the curtain. Also, the visible effects of shutter issues like this can be very sensitive to shutter speed. They tend to be most obvious in high speed shots and almost invisible at slower speeds.

In both pictures the problem occurs at the same two places on the left side of the image which corresponds to the right side of the shutter (as viewed from the back) so that might be the location to concentrate your cleaning efforts.

You might carefully inspect the track of the shutter for obvious hair or dirt. A light amount of rocketblower air or brushing might remove the dirt. Just be careful not to damage the shutter. And dry firing the shutter with the camera open and upside down can also cause any dirt to fall out of the lower track.

Good luck!
10-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
The second one looks like a double exposure?
Possibly? Really weird stuff happened there.

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It may not be as odd as you think if some small bit of grit or flake of paint inside the camera dropped into the track and only sometimes hits the curtain. Also, the visible effects of shutter issues like this can be very sensitive to shutter speed. They tend to be most obvious in high speed shots and almost invisible at slower speeds.

In both pictures the problem occurs at the same two places on the left side of the image which corresponds to the right side of the shutter (as viewed from the back) so that might be the location to concentrate your cleaning efforts.

You might carefully inspect the track of the shutter for obvious hair or dirt. A light amount of rocketblower air or brushing might remove the dirt. Just be careful not to damage the shutter. And dry firing the shutter with the camera open and upside down can also cause any dirt to fall out of the lower track.

Good luck!
I might just have to give that a try. I really only ran film through the camera to test the Super-Takumar 135/2.5 that came with it, but it certainly would be nice to have a usable M42 camera while my Spotmatic-F is with Eric.