Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by pendennis Quote
One of my local dealers has an SF-1 for sale now. From the photos, it looks to be in great condition. It's around $11, plus about $9 shipping. Not bad.

= Pentax SF1 35mm Film SLR Camera Body | eBay
That's dirt-cheap. Looks nice and clean, too.

10-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pendennis Quote
One of my local dealers has an SF-1 for sale now. From the photos, it looks to be in great condition. It's around $11, plus about $9 shipping. Not bad.

= Pentax SF1 35mm Film SLR Camera Body | eBay
Thanks for the link. I've added it to my ebay watch list. There are a few other SF_ models also currently listed, most listed as-is, but some as working or partially tested. Your link looks better than most, and is priced about the same as the one I just got.

What I read about the SFX/SF1 model, before buying that one, described them as more heavy-duty and dependable that the later more toy-like Pentax AF film slrs, including descriptions of owners getting them down out of the closet after years of storage and finding them working perfectly. it seemed worth a shot buying one that looked rather pristine, described as only a camera the seller's father had owned. It might just work. And it was cheap, so it was worth a shot.

Since it either was already broken, or seized up when I tried to load film into it, I have found a bit more about them. Apparently the SFX wasn't exactly trouble free. But some people have repaired problems with them. I'm not sure if these posts refer to exactly what is wrong with mine or not:

Pentax SF1 wont advance film | Photography Forum

sf1/sfx reflex lense/mirror is sprung in the up position and wont come down - PentaxForums.com

I may want to consider fixing this one for a couple of days, before trying another SF_ body. I may want to see how my luck turns out on an mf film body I ordered (which is yet to arrive) first, to see if how my losing streak is going first -- ha, ha!
11-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Regarding the cost of CR2 batteries for an SFXn. I took the earlier advice and hunted down an AA battery holder. Cost me £10 (the price of one battery). It doesn't make the right hand grip much bigger and the weight increase is negligible.
11-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lensnut Quote
Regarding the cost of CR2 batteries for an SFXn. I took the earlier advice and hunted down an AA battery holder. Cost me £10 (the price of one battery). It doesn't make the right hand grip much bigger and the weight increase is negligible.
+1!

11-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I found the CR2 battery to be pretty cheap online, but I would consider picking up an AA battery holder if I found one cheap just to have the added versatility.

For now, I'm going to put trying to fix the SFX I got on the back burner, and the idea of getting another SF_ to replace it, instead of that, on the way back burner, as my funds for that went to a couple of other photography spending decisions.
11-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #36

Photos: Gallery
All the time I've got a K1000 + ME super + a Mamiya 645 pro I cant see myself buy another film camera. Had a SFX years ago. Vaguely remember the grip coming loose but otherwise a great camera.
11-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geoffw Quote
All the time I've got a K1000 + ME super + a Mamiya 645 pro I cant see myself buy another film camera. Had a SFX years ago. Vaguely remember the grip coming loose but otherwise a great camera.

After all, one can't let one's Camera Buying Addiction get in the way of one's Lens Buying Addiction....

11-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
After all, one can't let one's Camera Buying Addiction get in the way of one's Lens Buying Addiction....