Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #1

MZ-M country of origin

Hello people:

First post in this forum, since I'm too lazy for a proper introduction, this comment acts kinda like that.
Pentax user since the dawns of the times (february of 1987 my first picture ever, a child with his father's SP1000, imagine that), and film shooter as long as the chemical factories decide to keep making it.
Now I own severals second hand Pentax(es) and lenses but my first camera (MY camera, purchased with my savings) is a MZ-M aquired brand new in 1997 with its mandatory SMC 35-80 f:4-5,6 manual focus. After a couple of months I completed the kit with the battery pack, great improvement. And today, exactly 20 years later, everything is still working.
The thing is, I always wondered where was the body made. The battery pack states "made in Japan", the lens doesn't say anything but some vague memories tell me that there was a "made in Japan" label in the box (the box is not with me right now), but the body is empty, no origin.
Looking for pictures of MZ-M bodies in the web I see the labels at the bottom where, below the "Asahi Opt. Co., LTD" always appears another line with "assembled in Phillipines", and in MZ-5 cameras "made in Japan" instead.
But mine has a label just with the "Asahi Opt. Co., Ltd". No Japan, no Phllipines.
Serial number is 7495320, can anyone identify the country of origin? could be a japanese MZ-M? chinese perhaps?
This is just for curiosity.

Thanks for the answers and also thanks for the countless resources that I took from the forum in the shadows.
Regards from Argentina, Luis.

Last edited by luiscardo; 10-15-2017 at 08:32 PM.