Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 04:02 AM   #16
Banned

QuoteQuote:
After shooting with film bodies for a while when I switch back to digital for a while my right thumb whiffs the air where the film advance lever should be.....
I do that sooooo often its ridiculous. I do a lot of traditional street shooting and I keep the advance lever in the 'ready' position with my thumb on it, but I also use digital at the same time and often go back and forth. I immediately try to advance the film on the K110D. oh well since I have the preview turned off (always have) I don't ever try to review a photo on the back of the MX.

08-28-2008, 07:48 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't experienced the wonder of dual-dial hyper program, so I guess I'm not in an expert position to reply... but I don't see what the fuss is all about.

Dual controls dials would be nice, but not critical.

For regular shooting, it's not an inconvenience to hold a button to switch the control dial between shutter and aperture control. The button location on the MZ-7 is also better/more ergonomic than the button location on the *ist DL.

But with the single control dial, it's not a problem to actually grab the aperture ring on the lens and dial in an aperture. (FAJ's excepted of course. I don't have any DA lenses.)
08-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I haven't experienced the wonder of dual-dial hyper program, so I guess I'm not in an expert position to reply... but I don't see what the fuss is all about.

For regular shooting, it's not an inconvenience to hold a button to switch the control dial between shutter and aperture control.
I used to believe this also until I picked up my Sons K100D to shoot some images at the Zoo...I got so used to the the dual wheels, that I kept going for it but was not there...In addition it is also a great way to view back the images...
08-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
After shooting with film bodies for a while when I switch back to digital for a while my right thumb whiffs the air where the film advance lever should be.....
LOL, Same here..

08-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Critical? No. It's the nice part I was hitting on.

Then again, coming from non-metered 50 year old film bodies I'll tell you that NOTHING is critical except 1. shutter speed dial; 2. aperture ring; 3. focus ring; and 4. Sunny 16 rules, memorized. Oh yes, some film helps in this situation.

Does all the rest, including dual wheels, add flexibility? Absolutely.

And no, you're absolutely correct! It isn't a problem changing between Av and Tv on the "program" dial..

Especially when you don't have to.

In any event, if one cannot get over the ugly PZ-1 part, having read the MZ-7 manual, I'd say it looks like a fine camera. I am tempted to pick one up myself given that it does have an on-body aperture/shutter speed control. They seem to have held their price pretty well. I have not watched overall auction results, but the BIN prices are all above $200.00 with lenses.

woof!

Last edited by woof; 08-28-2008 at 09:20 AM.
08-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #21

You all seem to have forgotten the PENTAX *ist film camera which will do everything you want with the lenses you mentioned.

"PENTAX offers a selection of PENTAX FA- and F-series autofocus lenses for use with the *ist to meet the diverse requirements of its users, from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto, and to special-effect lenses such as fish-eye, macro and soft-focus. To minimize the overall size of the *ist with a lens attached, PENTAX developed two compact, high-performance zoom lenses as ideal partners for the *ist: the smc Pentax-FA J Zoom 28mm~80mm F3.5~F5.6 AL and the smc Pentax-FA J Zoom 75mm~300mm F4.5~F5.8 AL. All smc PENTAX lenses are treated with the acclaimed Super-Multi-Coating to reproduce sharp, high-contrast images with minimal aberrations."

Tom
08-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #22

Original Poster
we might have, but i don't think we forgot it. we just ignored it bucause i asked for a camera that would allow open-aperture metering with k/m lenses - one without a "crippled" mount. the *ist won't do what i wanted, as far as i'm aware.

08-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
You all seem to have forgotten the PENTAX *ist film camera which will do everything you want with the lenses you mentioned.

"PENTAX offers a selection of PENTAX FA- and F-series autofocus lenses for use with the *ist to meet the diverse requirements of its users, from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto, and to special-effect lenses such as fish-eye, macro and soft-focus. To minimize the overall size of the *ist with a lens attached, PENTAX developed two compact, high-performance zoom lenses as ideal partners for the *ist: the smc Pentax-FA J Zoom 28mm~80mm F3.5~F5.6 AL and the smc Pentax-FA J Zoom 75mm~300mm F4.5~F5.8 AL. All smc PENTAX lenses are treated with the acclaimed Super-Multi-Coating to reproduce sharp, high-contrast images with minimal aberrations."

Tom
does the *ist film body use manual apature lenses in apature priotity ode?

I didn't think so, and in fact the manual states only Ka mount and later lenses. Therefore you give up the Apature priority and auto exposure modes with K mount lenses.
08-31-2008, 03:15 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The PZ-1/PZ-1P have been on my radar for a long time (I don't care if they are ugly, it's the features that are important to me). But I can't decide between the two mainly because I want the interval shooting of the PZ-1 which the PZ-1P doesn't have and I need the MLU of the PZ-1P which the PZ-1 doesn't have (I don't think). Dang it, why didn't the PZ-1 have a MLU?
09-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The original PZ1-p brochure showed the camera with FA* lens attached. For some reason that black and silver mix looked good enough for me to buy one...and another. Still have them both too, and the brochure, and the FA* lens for that matter. So to get over the appearance issue, attach a very nice looking lens and shoot away.
Note: while shooting, you can't see the camera body so ugly can be acceptable while you are busy--
09-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
would the zx-6 work similarly? it seems slightly higher-speced in appealing ways.

also, if you know more that would work, even though you don't think there the best, please let me know. however, i don't want the "crippled" mount ones that won't function acceptably with manual lenses.
My vote goes to the MZ-S. It's pricier, but works with all the lenses I own (circle of coverage excepted). Personally, I find very little difference between shutter priority and aperture priority, so having to change the shutter speed to move the aperture is a no brainer.

I also checked my SF-1 with the DA* 50-135 just now, and it worked fine, except for the loud grinding noise as it focused I have all three program modes - (normal, depth, and high speed) and Auto = shutter priority. Setting the shutter speed resulted in changed apertures.
09-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

There's quite a bit of misinformation about this subject out there...

SF series, MZ/ZX-S/3/5/5n: Requires aperture ring for Av.
PZ series can do what you want, including the -10 and -20, which aren't as bulky & heavy as the PZ-1. I have a PZ-20, which isn't bad at all. Fairly decent-looking but not as beautiful as the ZX-L, IMO. Does offer hyperprogram and hypermanual though which is pretty cool.

MZ/ZX-6/L/7/10 - Can do what you want. Offer aperture control from both body and aperture ring, like the PZ series. The 7/10 have 1/2000 & 1/100 sync instead of 1/4000 & 1/125. 7/10 lack the DoF preview, and Wireless P-TTL flash.

I have a ZX-L, a MZ-5n, and a PZ-20. I find the 135 film-covering pentamirror viewfinder in the ZX-L indistinguishable from the APS-C pentaprism in my K10D and *ist DS2. It is slightly smaller than the viewfinder in the MZ-5n but is reasonably bright.