Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

P30 Problem

I acquired a P30 several weeks ago for €12 so its not going to break the bank, It looks almost unused, I eventually found the correct up to date environmentally friendly replacement batteries.

At the second shot the mirror locked up and the winder froze.

I've taken the batteries out and replaced them a couple of times but achieved nothing and yes they are in the correct way round with the - end touching the battery compartment cap.

The mirror is in good shape and the foam it rests against when up looks almost new.

Blinking lights are visible in the viewfinder eyepiece when switched on.

If anybody knows a brilliant fix for this problem I'd appreciate it.

11-28-2017, 04:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I never had any issues with my P30 so I just throw in some random thoughts:
When you say the winder froze: do you mean the lever to wind the film is stuck in position, or are you talking about another camera with a motorized winder by any chance?
Where you using Bulb mode when it got stuck? In that case maybe the shutter button got stuck, push it a few times and it might loosen up again.
Have you removed the lens? If so: is the shutter curtain open too or is just the mirror in the wrong position? If the curtain is open the frozen winder is just a symptom but not a problem, because winding the film during an exposure is not usually desired so it makes sense to prevent this from happening mechanically.
11-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I never had any issues with my P30 so I just throw in some random thoughts:

When you say the winder froze: do you mean the lever to wind the film is stuck in position, or are you talking about another camera with a motorized winder by any chance?

Where you using Bulb mode when it got stuck? In that case maybe the shutter button got stuck, push it a few times and it might loosen up again.

Have you removed the lens? If so: is the shutter curtain open too or is just the mirror in the wrong position? If the curtain is open the frozen winder is just a symptom but not a problem, because winding the film during an exposure is not usually desired so it makes sense to prevent this from happening mechanically.
Lever is stuck in position, you can move it out from the closed position ready to start the wind on but no further.

Can't remember what mode I was in but I have tried every shutter speed with no luck. I can see them flashing in the viewfinder as I turn the speed dial and M at the top is always on once the camera is switched on.

I took the lens out and I can push the mirror down but it immediately flips up again. Shutter curtain is closed, the shutter actually fired but the mirror never came down.

CD
11-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Strange, unfortunately I don't have my P30 with me and I can't think of anything usefull right now. I'll have a look at my camera this weekend, maybe something comes to mind.

11-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #5

Have you tried a different set of batteries?
11-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm assuming you have checked the manual for the blinking light meaning?

Here is a copy of the manual:

Pentax P30 Manual

Password is = Pentax

Phil.
11-29-2017, 04:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I'm assuming you have checked the manual for the blinking light meaning?

Here is a copy of the manual:

Pentax P30 Manual

Password is = Pentax

Phil.
Thank you.

I suppose it comes back to - "If all else fails read the instructions".

11-25-2018, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This P30 has been sitting in a box on its way to the recycling bin, yesterday I took it out to have one more look at it before saying good bye and thought I'll just have one more go at getting it to work, I'll put another set of batteries in.

Oh, I seem to have left the old ones in, yes the're the right way round, checked their voltage both about 1.4v seems ok, put them back in, took the throat cover off and the mirror had unlocked itself and was down.

Put a m35 lens on, switched on, lever works, meter works everything is fine. Fired off a few shots great.

Got up early this morning and tried it, not a budge, meter was working but it was quite dark and the shutter would not release, open the lens wide, nada, went down all the shutter speeds and finally into the 100 flash mode and bingo every thing works again, obviously the camera has a better brain than I do so there's nothing for it I shall have to read the manual another time, for which thank you gofour3 again.

It's quite bright now outside and its working fine, so now I have a really nice little Pentax camera and I'm back in the film business, B & W of course.