Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #16

I bought a complete ME camera kit that was assembled and used in the 70s or early 80s. The flash that the two bodies came with was a Braun 340 SCA-100 Vario-Zoom - it is a big and very capable flash. More about that kit here: A Photographer’s Kit | burnt embers

More recently I bought an ME Super from the original owner - it came with an AF160 that she had bought at same time as camera.

12-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just heard from the seller and he said:

"I was not able to get the af200s to work.
But i was able to get an af200sa to work & the camera shop worker said they were same unit so I sent this one. I hope that works for you."

Thoughts? I just hope it is not beat up cosmetically, as the AF200s was in mint condition......other than it didn't work
12-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blasst Quote
Thoughts?
They are not the same unit. The AF200Sa is significantly down-featured and was intended for use on cameras supporting program and aperture-priority exposure automation. It may not work with your camera. Compare the user manuals...

Pentax Manuals: Accessories

Steve
12-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Blasst, it's never too soon -- or too late -- to learn something new. The ME is a great little point and shoot camera, but that's all it will ever be. When you decide you want to really learn about photography, you will have to graduate to a camera with a manual mode. With a camera that functions well in manual mode, you can learn about the three-way exposure relationship between film speed (ISO), shutter speed, and lens aperture. Any camera with a Program mode, or even Aperture priority -- as the ME has -- hides this relationship from the user. A manual-mode camera can be as simple as a K-1000 or KM or as flexible as the KX or K2 -- or MX or especially the LX, but that can come later. Where the LX shines is its extraordinary low-light exposure capabilities. Nice thing about the MX is it is the same size and approximate weight as the ME. Well, I guess one can include the ME Super, since it has shutter speeds, but they're accessed with those (to me) annoying push buttons, where I prefer a dial, hence the MX for the smaller cameras.

Let us know how you like you're new flash. I also own an AF280T. It's a largish flash, but not that large. Its big advantage over the AF200S is that it has bounce/swivel capability. After you've gotten tired of the deer-in-the-headlights look the AF200s is gonna give you, you're gonna want to give bounce, and even swivel, a try. And, given for what the AF280T sells for, you'll probably want to be doing the upgrade sooner rather than later. If you don't like the size of the AF280T, there are aftermarket alternatives. My favorite because of its size and features (tilt, swivel, three auto modes and a manual mode with variable power settings, plus a dedicated mode for cameras that accept it) is the Sunpak Auto 422D. It sells for about the same price as the AF280T, has about the same power output, but is quite a bit smaller. The Sunpak 422D comes with a dedicated module, dedicated for a particular brand and style of camera. These modules can be interchanged, which provides the user a single flash that can be used with multiple systems. Which is getting ahead of the game, probaby.

12-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I also own an AF280T. It's a largish flash, but not that large. Its big advantage over the AF200S is that it has bounce/swivel capability.
I second that. You don't need to be an advanced user to employ bounce (ie vertical aiming) - just use the flash unit in auto* and aim it 45 degrees up at the ceiling and your family/party snaps are so much better. There is no point in not having both bounce (ie horizontal aiming) and swivel, because if you use the camera in portrait format (quite likely if you are photographing a singe person or couple indoors) then you need the swivel to aim at the ceiling. Oddly, there are flash units on the market that have bounce but not swivel. Why ???
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
If you don't like the size of the AF280T, there are aftermarket alternatives. My favorite ... is the Sunpak Auto 422D. It sells for about the same price as the AF280T, has about the same power output, but is quite a bit smaller. The Sunpak 422D comes with a dedicated module ... for a particular brand and style of camera.
Sure about that? Do you actually own both? I have only the Pentax 280T but understood that it and the Sunpak are basically the same unit - the 280T was actually made by Sunpak and the 422D was their independent version of it. Take a look at their reviews :-

PENTAX AF 280T reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Sunpak 422D reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

....... and they are obviously the same except for back panel layout. Both use 4xAA batteries so that gives the scale.

I did not think that their contract with Pentax allowed Sunpak to sell a Pentax-compatible version directly (which could have undercut the Pentax price). There is really no point in buying a Sunpak 422D for a Pentax camera while there are are plenty of 280T's on ebay for the same price (you say).

* I'm talking about the ME camera. With later Pentax cameras (LX, A-series etc) the 280T offers TTL flash control, which is even better.
12-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, after reading what cooltouch, stevebrot, and Lord Lucan posted, I will return the AF200Sa when it gets here, and I will just get a AF280T, and start learning to use a bounce flash right away.

The AF280T size is not much bigger than the AF200Sa.

Looks like around half an inch increase in all measurements?

80mm x 68mm x 116mm for the AF280T
3.1" x 2.7" x 4.6"
Manual doesn't say what is Wide, High, or Deep. Guessing the 4.6" is the height?

62mm(W) x 97mm(H) x 58mm(D) for the AF200Sa
2.44" x 3.81" x 2.28"
12-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 280T is a good deal better than the 200Sa, but it is a good deal bigger...

I have both, and when I travel, I prefer the 200Sa because of the size...

If you can afford it, keep the 200Sa to use while you look for a good 280T.

You can use it manually as well as in 'auto' (though it is misleadingly labelled 'Program', it works fine on my MX, which doesn't do program anything...)

- Eric

12-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #23
Pentaxian

The SA works a little more smoothly with P-series cameras than with earlier models - IIRC because the camera reads DX codes it can set the aperture in P mode appropriate to the ISO - but so long as you set this manually on an earlier camera, its thyristor will work just fine. IIRC it wants f/4 at 100 ISO and closed down a stop for every doubling of ISO thereafter, within the limits of its range. I have one and it does the job it's meant for - indoors, in a suburban house or close up in the backyard at night - pretty well.

Being thyristor-driven, it also works very well with Spotmatics and other cameras whose lenses stop down on shutter-button press but don't communicate their aperture to the camera. You need a PC-sync hotshoe adapter for anything prior to the Spotmatic II, but that's the nature of the beast with those cameras. There are a (very) few Pentax thyristor flashes that have a direct PC sync connect, but it's easier to buy an aftermarket adaptor on e-bay or amazon or what-have-you than possibly spend months searching for a 40 year old flash that may or may not be in good order; the 200SA is more recent and far more likely to still be functional. Just remember to plug it into the X sync port and not the FP, or the timing will be off and the flash discharge will be all over before the first curtain even starts moving.
12-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
he SA works a little more smoothly with P-series cameras than with earlier models
At issue is the ease of use with non-dedicated cameras. Missing as compared to the AF200S is the slide-rule calculator as well as the dual Auto ranges and manual option. The AF200S is actually fairly full-featured and is comparable to product like my Vivitar 2600 except that the Viv supports both hot shoe and PC sync.

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
You can use it manually as well as in 'auto' (though it is misleadingly labelled 'Program', it works fine on my MX, which doesn't do program anything...)
Are you sure about that? The AF200SA has only an on/off switch and test button on the back.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blasst Quote
The AF280T size is not much bigger than the AF200Sa.
The AF280T weighs twice as much. As for dimensions...I love my AF280T and while smaller than most currently-available speedlights, it is still pretty chunky. I should add photos of it mounted to my Super Program (its intended mate) as well as my K-3 to add to my review here. This one from Jean Poitiers will have to do

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-19-2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Add photo
12-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Oddly, there are flash units on the market that have bounce but not swivel. Why ???
Yeah, like the ubiquitous VIvitar 283 and 285. The 285 even has a zoom head -- but no swivel. Never understood why it lacks swivel.

(Quoting my claim about differences between the Pentax AF280T and Sunpak Auto 422D)
QuoteQuote:
Sure about that? Do you actually own both? I have only the Pentax 280T but understood that it and the Sunpak are basically the same unit - the 280T was actually made by Sunpak and the 422D was their independent version of it. Take a look at their reviews :-

PENTAX AF 280T reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Sunpak 422D reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

....... and they are obviously the same except for back panel layout. Both use 4xAA batteries so that gives the scale.

I did not think that their contract with Pentax allowed Sunpak to sell a Pentax-compatible version directly (which could have undercut the Pentax price). There is really no point in buying a Sunpak 422D for a Pentax camera while there are are plenty of 280T's on ebay for the same price (you say).
When I wrote my above comment, I committed the error of not having both flashes in front of me (yes, I do own both). As it turns out, the Sunpak is taller than the Pentax, but the Pentax's girth is greater -- and it was the girth that stuck in my mind, leading me to think it was larger than the Sunpak. Steve's term for the AF280T as "chunky" is apt.

Your claim in your review of the AF280T is incorrect. The Sunpak 422D and Pentax AF280T are not the same flash. They may be functionally equivalent, but they are quite different in appearance. The features and rear controls are different as well. But mostly they just don't look anything alike. Someone here reported the AF280T's GN as 90. That is slightly incorrect. Using three different comparisons from the scale on the back of the flash, I get 96. The Sunpak's is 100, so I'll call that a tie.

Since I was basing my suggestion for the Sunpak on the false premise that it is smaller than the AF280T, I agree that the two are essentially equivalent -- if you can find a 422D with a Pentax foot, that is. Or just the foot, for that matter. I missed out on an auction for a Contax foot recently. Still kicking myself over that one. But since I have the AF280T, as you correctly state, there's little reason for using the 422D on a camera like my LX. Except perhaps if I wanted to use its fractional manual mode, since it has more settings than the Pentax.

One thing I do like about the Sunpak is that interchangeable foot. Which fits a variety of Sunpak flashes, evidently. Makes Sunpak akin to the Tamron Adaptall-2 of flashes in a way.
12-19-2017, 11:01 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 280T is probably the best "compact" flash that Pentax made for the manual focus film cameras. I'll agree that the bounce and swivel features are indispensible. I can't think of a single case where I would opt to use the direct light from the 200S rather than light bounced from the 280T. I have both flashes and the only reason I keep the 200S is because I got it for free and I like to tell myself that a free flash is worth keeping. I've never used it. I have three 280Ts and The only thing that they lack is power. Guess what though. You can't get more power and versatility unless you step out of the "compact" flash department. If you need more power, the 400T is really your best option.

Anyway, I'll back up my assertion about the AF-280T by putting my money where my mouth is and offer BLASST one of my AF-280Ts for free. Paypal me the postage and I'll send you one of my three AF-280T flashes. When you have a chance to use it, use it in direct mode and also in bounced mode and then report back here to let us know if you think there is enough difference in your results to make you a believer in bounced flash. PM me if you are interested. Oh yeah, and I mean that you can keep the flash. I don't wwant it back unless you decide that you like the 200Sa better, in which case, I'll pay the postage to have you send my flash back. I'm betting that you'll keep it.
12-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
If you need more power, the 400T is really your best option.
More power as in many batteries!!!

Pentax AF400T flash

Steve
12-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Anyway, I'll back up my assertion about the AF-280T by putting my money where my mouth is and offer BLASST one of my AF-280Ts for free. Paypal me the postage and I'll send you one of my three AF-280T flashes.
Wow! Now that is amazing. Our members are amazing!

Steve
12-20-2017, 01:07 AM   #29
Veteran Member

The 280T is probably the best "compact" flash that Pentax made for the manual focus film cameras. I'll agree that the bounce and swivel features are indispensible. I can't think of a single case where I would opt to use the direct light from the 200S rather than light bounced from the 280T.
Very nice of you to be paying it forward, ctrout.

I have one comment I'd like to add about using the AF280T in bounce mode -- or any bounce-capable flash, far as that goes. My favorite way to use the bounce setting is to fasten a white reflector -- say about six inches square or so to the top of the flash and then set the flash's angle at maybe 70-80 degrees, and take photos that way. I have a reflector that I cut out of a piece of white posterboard that is approximately six inches square but with an extension on one side -- maybe 2" x 2" -- which is secured to the top of the flash with a big rubber band. I like it better than bouncing off the ceiling for a number of reasons. In some situations the ceiling may be way up there, and then what? Or it may be an odd color or non-reflective, etc. Also I like the way shadows are formed and cast better using a bounce card than the ceiling. Apparently others like to do this too. I have a couple or three flashes that I acquired as parts of outfit purchases where the previous owners had attached velcro strips to the tops of their flashes, presumably to make it easier to attach and remove bounce cards.

Anyway, when you're trying out your new flash's bounce capabilities, give my suggestion a try. I'll wager you'll like it.
12-20-2017, 05:33 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you sure about that? The AF200SA has only an on/off switch and test button on the back.
Manually in the sense of having to set the aperture appropriate to the ISO yourself, rather than having a P-mode camera do it for you. The flash still fires under thyristor control. If you want full output at a shorter distance for whatever reason, hold your finger - or tape a piece of opaque card - over the thyristor. It really lets go with a vengeance then.

If you need more power, the 400T is really your best option.
You can never have enough sometimes. I've ceiling-bounced my AF540FGZ-ii on full manual power and STILL not had enough for ISO 200 shots at f/16 with a Super Tak 50. (I could have turned the ISO up, but the camera is the *istDS and I like to keep that thing low for best results.)