Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

OEM flash options for Pentax ME?

Just picked up a Pentax ME off of ebay, and its in great condition. My Dad bought one new back in 1977 when they first came out, so a bit of nostalgia pushed me to buy one.

What factory flash that was made for the ME would be recommended? I want it to look good also

Thanks!

12-17-2017, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
Pentax AF280T.
12-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion manstanox.

Taking a quick look online at that model, I'm guessing it will look HUGE on the ME

Any other smaller options from the factory for the ME?
12-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF200s came kitted with my MESuper. 25% more powerful than the 160s and more features, but basically contemporary to the ME.

12-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just picked up a mint AF200s off of ebay coming from Japan. Thanks monochrome. Once it gets here I might have questions to use it correctly, as I am an experienced novice with my Pentax ME and how to use a film camera properly.
12-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That is a tough one. The ME has a simple hot shoe and does not offer support for dedicated flash. At the time it was released in 1976, the Auto-Robo was the only Pentax-brand flash. A year later (1977) the AF160, AF200S, and AF16 were available. In practical terms, there are dozens of third-party offerings of that era that are representative. I still use my Vivitar 2600 from that time frame.

Steve
12-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blasst Quote
Just picked up a mint AF200s off of ebay coming from Japan. Thanks monochrome. Once it gets here I might have questions to use it correctly, as I am an experienced novice with my Pentax ME and how to use a film camera properly.
The manual is available for free download:

Pentax Manuals: Accessories

Steve

12-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is a tough one. The ME has a simple hot shoe and does not offer support for dedicated flash. At the time it was released in 1976, the Auto-Robo was the only Pentax-brand flash. A year later (1977) the AF160, AF200S, and AF16 were available. In practical terms, there are dozens of third-party offerings of that era that are representative. I still use my Vivitar 2600 from that time frame.

Steve
Probably a dumb question, so how does it work on the ME without support for dedicated flash?
12-17-2017, 11:42 PM   #9

Probably a dumb question, so how does it work on the ME without support for dedicated flash?
A dedicated flash will just set the flash sync camera if the camera supports dedication. So just manually set your shutter to the flash sync speed. I'm not familiar with the ME but there is probably a flash symbol at either 1/125 or 1/60 or an X.
12-18-2017, 04:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the AF160 pairs well with the ME. It looks good and is compact. The trade is that it doesn’t have much power.

IIRC, the ME has 1/100 as the sync speed with auto, bulb, and lock on the dial.

-Eric
12-18-2017, 05:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The AF280T would have been a good choice. I have one. It is quite powerful for its size and the built-in auto exposure works well. But it is from a later era than the ME...
12-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As Steve indicated the Autorobo was the original and only Pentax flash available for the ME, then the AF16 replaced it.

Phil.
12-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Just picked up a mint AF200s off of ebay coming from Japan.
Good choice It should do everything you need from a basic auto-thyristor flash without extra bulk or weight.

Steve
12-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It should do everything you need from a basic auto-thyristor flash
The only thing you lose relative to the 280T is the ability to bounce or swivel, and every YouTube expert and his dog is going to be tearing their hair out over that, but I think the problem may be overrated. If OP is looking for something basic to turn indoor gloom to something acceptable for happy-snaps, a basic thyristor-regulated hotshoe flash is fine. And let's face it, with its obligatory full time Av mode, the ME is far more a happy-snapper's SLR than a professional rig anyway (and I say this as somebody who owns one).

Your sync speed is also the manual backup speed; the camera will fire on that speed without batteries, so when one day the electronics die and no more circuit boards are left, you can load 100-speed film, pick a lens with the widest possible f/stop range and continue shooting on Sunny 16 rules. Until recently, some films STILL came with Sunny 16 guides printed on the inside of the box. They possibly still do, but I haven't bought colour film in an individual box for quite a while now, and the four-packs don't have it.
12-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The only thing you lose relative to the 280T is the ability to bounce or swivel, and every YouTube expert and his dog is going to be tearing their hair out over that, but I think the problem may be overrated. If OP is looking for something basic to turn indoor gloom to something acceptable for happy-snaps, a basic thyristor-regulated hotshoe flash is fine. And let's face it, with its obligatory full time Av mode, the ME is far more a happy-snapper's SLR than a professional rig anyway (and I say this as somebody who owns one).
This is exactly me.....for now......

When I have learned how to use the camera and am ready to move on and improve my skills, you guys will be the first to know, then you can point me in the direction I need to go. Thanks to all who posted to my question, seems to be a fantastic forum here of people willing to share their knowledge.