Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2017, 02:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax LX problem

Hi,

I have never done film photography before and decided to give it a try. Saw very reasonably priced LX with some decent lenses and bought it.

Got the camera yesterday and everything that I can think of testing seems to work fine and camera is in very nice shape except dent above "pentax" logo. Seller said that it's only a cosmetic dent.

BUT view through viewfinder is very blurry and it's hard to get anything in focus. First I thought that there might be something wrong with the focusing screen so I replaced it (camera came with a few different options) but it didn't help. And when I try focus the most sharp focus in viewfinder doesn't match distance scale on lens. I tried several lenses and compared to my ME which has much cleared view from viewfinder.

I spend all night reading about LX's sticky mirror problem and first I was convinced that my unit can't be affected by it since the mirror flips without any sluggishnes. But if I understood correctly if the rubber pads underneath the mirror where it's resting are thinner than they should be, mirror will be misaligned and cause blurry view in viewfinder?

So my questions is if this problem is something relatively small and can be fixed by normal cleaning / service or is this sign of someting more serious and I should return the camera?
I don't mind if I have to get a normal service / cleaning done on this camera if it fixes the problem since otherwise it seems to be in good condition and it wasn't too pricey.

any advice and comments are greatly appreciated!

12-20-2017, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did the camera come with the diopter adjustment tool?

Pentax LX camera manual, user manual

Even if you don't have it a 1/8" straight-blade screwdriver should work...
12-20-2017, 03:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Did the camera come with the diopter adjustment tool?

Pentax LX camera manual, user manual
Ah, good point! I will definitely check diopter adjustment today!
12-20-2017, 05:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When the mirror bumpers in my LX deteriorated I could still get a sharp view in the finder, but the focus on film was different than in the finder, so that isn't your issue. Likely the diopter adjustment. I once got a used 6x7 meter prism that was quite blurry, and found the last owner had installed a diopter.

12-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
Good to know, I will investigate and report back tonight.
Those rubber pads seemed to in decent shape..
12-20-2017, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for solving my problem! It was the diopter.
Now everything seems to work perfectly
12-20-2017, 12:10 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of us poor LX users no longer have the eyesight we enjoyed in our younger years.

12-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Some of us poor LX users no longer have the eyesight we enjoyed in our younger years.

Which makes that diopter adjustment tool all the more important!

12-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course the true test will be your results on film.
If your negatives or slides are not sharp those mirror stops could still be bad.

Chris
12-30-2017, 07:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

What Chris said. I bought a clean used LX a couple of years ago. Mine has a bright viewfinder, so no problems there. But I soon noticed a significant discrepancy between the lens's focusing scale and actual distance. It was those rubber stops for the mirror. I took mine to a local professional camera repair shop, where they performed a CLA, including mirror adjustment, for $80. Well worth it.