Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2018, 07:26 PM   #1

Lens advice for a beginner

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello all, I have a Pentax K-1000 film camera. I have been looking on ebay for a new lens. I was looking at the ebay posting bellow. Will this fit my camera? The post says it is a "K/M" mount. But I do not see the "bayonet" part that my other lenses have.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kimunor High Power Lens 500mm F8 Telephoto For Pentax SLR w/Tripod Mount Japan | eBay

Thank you for your time

01-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most if not all of these 500mm f/8 lenses just have a threaded mount in the rear that a specific camera adapter is then screwed to. So the same lens could be used for Pentax, Canon or Nikon with a cheap adapter.

This one appears from the pictures to have the Pentax adapter. Do not expect much from this lens the quality is in general poor and it will be all manual.

Hope that helps.
01-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

" The M42 lens mount is a screw thread mounting standard for attaching lenses to 35 mm cameras, primarily single-lens reflex models. It is more accurately known as the M42 × 1 mm standard, which means that it is a metric screw thread of 42 mm diameter and 1 mm thread pitch. (The M42 lens mount should not be confused with the T-mount, which shares the 42mm throat diameter, but differs by having a 0.75mm thread pitch.) It was first used in Zeiss' Contax S of 1949; this East German branch of Zeiss also sold cameras under the Pentacon name; after merger with other East German photographic manufacturers, the name Praktica was used. M42 thread mount cameras first became well known under the Praktica brand, and thus the M42 mount is known as the Praktica thread mount.[1] Since there were no proprietary elements to the M42 mount, many other manufacturers used it; this has led to it being called the Universal thread mount or Universal screw mount by many. The M42 mount was popularized in the United States by Pentax; thus, it is also known as the Pentax thread mount, despite the fact that Pentax did not originate it. . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M42_lens_mount

The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount
Technical Information and a Little Bit of History
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Dec 29, 2014

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/evolution-of-pentax-k-m...#ixzz55A4EZYDH

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions:
FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-24-2018 at 08:08 PM.
01-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
500mm f/8 at that price is going to require a whole lot of light and high ISO film and a tripod or monopod. If youʻre looking for an inexpensive telephoto for your K1000, Iʻd suggest something more like this 80-200mm f/4.5 in excellent condition for $43:
Pentax 80-200mm F/4.5 SMC M K Mount Manual Focus Lens {52} at KEH Camera Store

or this f/4 200mm telephoto in excellent condition for $79. With a prime, you could crop more as the image quality will exceed the zoom.
Pentax 200mm F/4 SMC M K Mount Manual Focus Lens {52} at KEH Camera Store

If you had to have 500mm, Opteka makes an f/6.3 500mm mirror lens for under $100 new: amazon.com : Opteka 500mm/1000mm f6.3 HD Telephoto Mirror Lens for Pentax K-1, K-3 II, KP, K-70, K-S2, K-S1, K-500, K-50, K-30, K-7, K-5, K-3, K20D, K100D and K10D Digital SLR Cameras : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I personally think reflex lenses are mediocre at best, but itʻs hard to beat the price, compact size, and focal length.

01-25-2018, 12:38 AM   #5

Nevermind..
01-26-2018, 06:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want a bargain telephoto lens for your k1000, which is to say, a lens that will cover FF, I would strongly recommend searching out a good used copy of the Tamron 70-300mm. Pretty much every version of this lens has been very good, and even new they are relatively cheap (under $200). Older used versions can be had for under $100. I used one when I first started using a DSLR and even cropped to APS-C format the results are satisfactory.

See my post, #6442, on the WILDLIFE thread.
01-26-2018, 07:46 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree the Tamron 70-300 series would be a good cheap lens to start with for an AF telephoto zoom

I took an " experienced " one - Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Tele-Macro [1:2] (Model 772D) - to use as my telephoto lens in Tanzania

Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Tele-Macro [1:2] (Model 772D) Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

other versions of the Tamron AF 70-300mm exist

check the reviews under " lenses " above

01-26-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Additional comment: From several independent reviews of mirror lenses, the best was-is the Zeiss 500mm f8 Mirotar, the best IQ and best physical design. Coming in second quite consistently is the Tamron 500mm f8 in Adaptall 2 mount. Every review I've seen rates it above Nikon, Sigma and "other brand" mirror telephotos. The Tamron can be purchased for under $200. BTW: Leitax conversion is NOT available for the Zeiss Mirotar, good copies of it typically go for about $1000, but it is a beautifully made lens, exactly the design you'd hope to find in a 500mm f8 mirror lens.
01-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm something of a Tamron aficionado, and I've never heard of a manual focus Tamron 70-300. In fact, such an animal doesn't exist. Tamron has made an auto-focus 70-300, but why would you buy an AF lens for a K-1000? Better to buy the SP 60-300 Adaptall-2 lens, which is manual focus, and which is a very good lens. And it can often be found on eBay for not much money. I own two now, and I bought one new back in the 80s and used it extensively back then.

But the OP was asking about the optical quality of that 500mm f/8 Preset. Here's what I know about that lens -- which is found in a wide variety of brand names. It is a simple optical construction -- a simple doublet, if I'm not mistaken. The two main disadvantages to that lens are 1) its close focus sucks -- may be as far away as 10 meters, and 2) it is slow, with a maximum f/8 aperture opening.

I own a preset telephoto very similar to this one -- mine is a 400mm f/6.3. Basically the same tube, just shortened a bit. The general consensus regarding these lenses, whether it's the 400mm or 500mm is that, if you respect its limitations, it is capable of capturing good images. I recall from back in the 80s seeing ads from one of the New York discount stores -- I believe it was Cambridge Camera -- where they touted a Modern Photography magazine test of one of those lenses, where it achieved "Excellent" marks. So, yes, they are capable of delivering very good images. Best to use the lens in bright sun, however. In bright sun, using the Sunny F16 rule for ISO 100 film, you can just get by using the lens without a tripod. Sunny f/16 indicates that at f/8, a shutter speed of 1/500 is required. ISO 200 film, it becomes 1/1000, and ISO 400 film, it becomes 1/2000. So, yes, in strong sunlight it is possible to hand-hold the optic. But you're better off using a tripod, really, or at least a monopod. Why? Because the numbers I was quoting are for using that lens wide open. You might want to stop it down some to improve image sharpness and maybe even to increase the depth of field some. So once you've stopped it down, you'll probably need that tripod.

One other thing I've noticed about my 400mm f/6.3 -- it is very sensitive to the quality of filters being used. When I bought mine, it came with a filter as its front lens cap. It's some no-name filter, I don't recall the brand offhand. When I first tested it, the image quality was terrible. I knew that these lenses were capable of images better than I was getting. But I couldn't find anything amiss. Then I noticed that it had that cheap filter screwed into the front. So I removed it and blam! instant improvement. 1000% better and actually it was providing very good photos.

One more comment with regard to cheapo 500mm f/8 lenses. On balance, you're better off with one of these preset refractors than you are with a 500mm f/8 mirror. The cheapo Korean-made 500mm mirrors are almost universally bad optically, whereas the 500mm presets are mostly good optically. Plus, with the preset lens you have an aperture ring. With a mirror you don't.

But a good mirror is a good mirror, and usually you're paying for this quality. I agree most wholeheartedly with WPRESTO -- the Tamron mirror -- both version of it -- is a superb optic. I own a 55BB (the second version) and it is one of the sharpest telephotos I own. A lot of optical muscle in a very compact package.

Last edited by cooltouch; 01-29-2018 at 08:17 AM.
01-29-2018, 08:30 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

About the inexpensive 400mm f6.3 tele. I remember when these first appeared offered by Spiratone, a store then famous for its inexpensive but sometimes good quality camera accessories. That lens tested very well by Modern Photography magazine. There is a local pro - an excellent photographer - who uses one, as well as a Tamron 200-500mm. The lens, as with so many who-knows-who-made-it-or-copies-of-it was eventually sold under multiple different brand names ("Astronar" was one widespread name as I recall). Searching 400mm f6.3 will probably turn up quite a few at very attractive prices. I think most were made with specific camera mounts rather than being T-mount. I don't think any of the bargain-price 500mm optics were or are as good for IQ.