Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2018, 04:02 AM   #1

Pentax MX Winder Problem

Hey guys,

First time posting!

I'm the new owner of a pristine, beautiful black body Pentax MX. It came with the Pentax MX winder, I've loaded the winder with fresh batteries, no film in the camera at the moment I just wanted to test the winder, when I screw it all the way in it acts very erratically and sometimes not at all!...when I unscrew it slightly so the direct contact terminals aren't touching eachother on the left of there camera it works as it should. This has baffled me greatly, some help would of course be very much appreciated! I just want to enjoy this thing! Maybe it's because I don't have any film inside? I doubt this though.

Thank you

01-25-2018, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would use some contact cleaner or alcohol on a Q-tip and clean all the contact points and the ones in the battery compartment too.
When you screw it back on don't tighten it too much.

Last edited by blumoon722; 01-25-2018 at 05:40 AM.
01-25-2018, 05:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for your response. Will get some contact cleaner now. When I screw it in It's not over tight, its just about right
01-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #4

Original Poster
So I cleaned the contacts which already looked clean....no luck, its really strange, it works with around a 3mm gap from the winder to the base, Not sturdy at all... as soon as the contacts touch eachother it doesn't work.

01-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Alternatively, there could be corrosion to wiring and circuit boards inside the Winder.

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2018 at 12:27 ----------

There are no electrical contacts between the body and the Winder, only a mechanical coupling (I own an MX Winder). The only contacts you can access without dismantling the winder are between the batteries and the battery holder.
01-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
When the winder is off the body it fires exactly as it should though. As soon as the "Direct Contact Terminals" of the winder touches the direct contact terminals of the MX body it ceases to fire. I wonder if anyone knows what's a miss. Quit frustrating as you can imagine
01-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #7

Original Poster
Anybody?

01-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Pictures might be helpful in this situation. Maybe there's something going on that a more experienced eye may be able to detect.
01-25-2018, 06:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could the issue be mechanical rather than electrical? The winder might not have enough torque to overcome the friction of the camera's internals, which might be gummed up. A CLA might help.
01-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Do you have a copy of the user manual? There are several things covered in the manual that might result in symptoms such as you describe. The manual may be downloaded from:

Pentax Manuals: Accessories

Steve
01-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #11

Original Poster
Hey all, thanks for the replies, will post a pic later on. I read both the Pentax MX and MX winder manual before either arrived.
Murrelet, I think you may be right, luckily i live in London, UK so I'll pay a visit to Harrow Technical soon.

Again thank you all for the replies, very appreciated! Can't wait to shoot this thing!
01-26-2018, 04:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you bring winder in for service be sure to include camera body as well to ensure they work properly together.

Chris
01-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote

There are no electrical contacts between the body and the Winder, only a mechanical coupling (I own an MX Winder). The only contacts you can access without dismantling the winder are between the batteries and the battery holder.
This isn't true. I also own an MX Winder. On the left side of the winder, looking at it as if you are about to use it, there are three small spring loaded pins that make contact with electrical contacts on the bottom of the camera.

As is the case with many other winders and motor drives, if you lay a coin across those three contacts, you can bring the winder to life. A handy way of checking if a winder is still in working order. But to me it sounds as if the OP's winder has an internal problem that's causing it not to interpret the contact pins' signals properly.
01-29-2018, 07:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
This isn't true. I also own an MX Winder. On the left side of the winder, looking at it as if you are about to use it, there are three small spring loaded pins that make contact with electrical contacts on the bottom of the camera.
You're right. I forgot about those. My winder and my body broke down about 10 years ago, so I haven't looked at them in a long time.
02-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

With gear this old it could be anything as noted above. I've had my MX and winder combo for over 30 years now. I've not used it often of late but as I noted in my review of the winder the cap which holds the batteries in place has to be one of the worst designs ever. From new it was difficult to get in place and things did not get better over time. If not properly fitted it is possible to get the sporadic results you describe. I don't recall if it was mentioned above but new batteries might clear up the problem. If the mechanical connection is not the problem and the contacts are not corroded it might be time to send it in for a CLA.

Even if it is not operational I would be without the winder on the MX. It just feels wrong without it.

Good luck

Tom G