Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2018, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #1

Magazines and reading material

Perhaps this has been discussed before.

I find it paradoxical that we film shooters must resort to nearly entirely to digital media to find anything to read while the digital shooters have numerous analog ( I.e. Magazines ) at thier disposal.

02-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DennyT Quote
I find it paradoxical that we film shooters must resort to nearly entirely to digital media to find anything to read while the digital shooters have numerous analog ( I.e. Magazines ) at thier disposal.
I think it's because the majority of photographers these days are using digital cameras. Film, whilst still popular, is very much in the minority, and publishers need a sizable volume of magazine sales to make any profit.

That said, here in the UK, the number of photography magazines generally is reducing. Occasionally, a new one will crop up, and it might last a year or two before closing down. Most of those that still exist seem to cater for the beginner-to-intermediate level of photographer, and they seem to rehash the same old subject matter time and again on shooting tips, equipment reviews, etc. All of that information can be found online, in much greater depth than a magazine format allows, and usually much earlier than it reaches print. As a result, the popularity of printed magazines is on the wane.

Although I prefer printed copy, I've given up buying any magazines on a regular basis. I might pick up an occasional issue every few months if there are a couple of interesting articles and reviews I fancy reading, but otherwise I get my info online.
02-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe pull out your old photo books/magazines you may have? or visit your local bookstore if any of those are even still around......

Even newspapers are dwindling.... I feel your pain

Whatever happened to the good ole days.......
02-04-2018, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
Maybe pull out your old photo books/magazines you may have? or visit your local bookstore if any of those are even still around......

Even newspapers are dwindling.... I feel your pain

Whatever happened to the good ole days.......
Yeah . What really brought it to mind was that I just got a Barnes and noble gift cert. I found the ansel Adam books 1 & 2 on techniques and the " the camera" in excellent condition for under $10 each . In fact I got book 2 for $2.88. So even with shipping = $10.

02-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like my digital magazines which I read on my iPad. I have all my back issues right at my fingertips.

My wife accidentally duplicated one of mags with a mail subscription, and I found that I seldom looked at the paper issue.
02-05-2018, 12:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too wish there were some good printed photo magazines available at reasonable cost here.
In UK they seem to have a few but last time I checked USA subscriptions were pretty pricey.

Chris
02-05-2018, 01:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I dunno. Seems to me you folks in the UK have all the coolest magazines, whether it's about cameras and photography or motorcycles or guitars (my other interests). US-based mags are targeting a lowest common denominator that these days I suspect is barely literate. No wonder the market is shrinking. People who don't read, um, don't read.

02-05-2018, 01:10 AM   #8

I agree with that, I've always wished we had magazines as good as your UK ones. This one is cool, though not directly photo related.
CABINET // Homepage
02-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are many books that are interesting.
I bought Home : Black+White Photography some years ago, but do not really remember, how, that. .....
I had a subscription at Photography, Photo, Digital Camera, Reviews | Popular Photography some years ago (from the other side of the world) so you can subscribe to a European magazine.
I'm not very good at English and very bad in German, but Photo International can be interesting if you can German.

Last edited by Bophoto; 02-05-2018 at 06:02 PM.
02-05-2018, 10:43 PM   #10

Oh, get this. Everyone should have one, it answers all questions. The 2nd edition is good and cheap, it's the one I have. Makes those ansel adams things redundant, as it's much more readable. It only says basic because it's condensed from 6 volumes or whatever. "basic photographic materials and processes" stroebel 2nd - Buscar con Google Basic Photographic Materials and Processes / Edition 2 by Leslie Stroebel, John Compton, Ira Current, Richard D. Zakia | | 9780240804057 | Audiobook (Other) | Barnes & Noble®

Last edited by Ranchu; 02-05-2018 at 10:49 PM.
02-06-2018, 01:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here's two sites you can look for cheap used books:

AbeBooks | Shop for Books, Art &amp Collectibles

New & Used Books from Thrift Books | Buy Cheap Books Online
02-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I tried subscribing to Outdoor Photographer for a year, it was very cheap. I found 35% of its contents to be purely advertising, so I canceled. I guess that's why it's so cheap
02-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

My favourite photo magazine is the UK Black and White Photography magazine (not to be confused with the US one). Lots of photos and discussions of photography, not much in the way of equipment reviews. I find the hankering for UK magazines curious, because my feeling is that there are more magazines of photographs in US bookstores than UK ones. I really am not that interested in "Mastering depth of field" or "Pro secrets for wedding photography" which are the regular fare of many magazines. I want to see photos, and information about photographers.
02-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's what's in the latest issue of Amateur Photographer, our long-established weekly photography magazine here in the UK:

Black & white film essentials
Matt Parry explains the key considerations for shooting and developing mono film in 2018

Speedy photo fixes
James Paterson explains how to correct various photo problems using Lightroom techniques

Location guide
Jon Gibbs tells us how to best photograph Balnakeil Bay in Scotland

Postcards from America
Oliver Atwell looks at the groundbreaking work of the prolific Stephen Shore

A day of distinction
Geoff Harris finds out more about the various RPS distinctions

Panasonic Leica DG Elmarit 200mm f/2.8 Power O.I.S.
Michael Topham finds out if this is the telephoto lens that Micro Four Thirds users have been waiting for

Round-Up: Trekking backpacks
James Abbott reveals six of the best backpacks to wear for landscape photography

Laowa Magic Shift Converter
Andy Westlake tests this unique accessory

Final Analysis
Roger Hicks considers… ‘Mother and daughter at Sloane Square’, 2017, by Luke Agbaimoni

The rest is advertisements. Often exactly the same ones as the previous week, sometimes (but not always) with up-to-date prices.

Out of all that, I find one article I'm potentially genuinely interested in reading... "Postcards from America", as it covers the work of Stephen Shore, one of my favourite photographers. But here's the thing... it will, I virtually guarantee, shed no new light on him or his work, so I probably have editorials and books that already go into much greater depth than this one, two or - at best - three page article provides.

I guess I'd flick through the Laowa Magic Shift Converter review, since I don't know what it is.

The speedy photo fixes in Lightroom will be the same old, same old...

I used to subscribe to Amateur Photographer, but as time went on, I found the only time I actually read it cover to cover was those rare occasions where I'd soak in the bath for an hour instead of taking my daily shower... and only then because I don't like getting the pages of my proper books wet and wrinkled.

EDIT: I just looked up the Laowa Magic Shift Converter... which converts certain Canon or Nikon lenses into shift lenses for Sony E-mount. Not for me...
02-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Here's what's in the latest issue of Amateur Photographer, our long-established weekly photography magazine here in the UK:

Postcards from America
Oliver Atwell looks at the groundbreaking work of the prolific Stephen Shore

The important info is that there is an exhbition... in the Museum of Modern Art in New York City! I'm trying to work out if I could stop off in NYC to see my in-laws on my way further west later in the year... Bit of a long way to go otherwise.