Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IR remotes and cable remotes for MZ-S

I just got the battery grip BG-10 for my MZ-S. I see that the battery grip has an IR remote control sensor, and this is described in the manual. However, the manual doesn't mention what remote control device will work with the sensor. Is there a particular IR remote that I should be looking for? Is the remote cable CS-105 better to have than the IR remote? Does the remote cable timer TS-110 do the same things as the remote cable CS-105, plus offer some timing functions? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! --> Richard.

02-19-2018, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
amazon.com : Pentax Remote Control F for Pentax Digital Cameras : Camera Power Adapters : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
02-19-2018, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
From the well-worn memory banks, I believe you are correct about the two cabled releases. I had the TS-110 and did use the timing functions a couple times but I can't recall why...never considered the IR sensor? I recall the body/grip combo projecting a light grid for autofocus in the dark, and I almost thought the grip was somehow involved? Naw, that doesn't make sense...

Enjoy that MZ-S. It's my very favorite Pentax body, film or digital for the ergonomics and style. A minimalist DSLR tucked into a retro MZ-S lookalike body would sell to me right away!
02-19-2018, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the sound it makes when I take a shot...

02-20-2018, 06:35 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

I have tried original Pentax remote. It works with MZ-S. The generic one (I don't remember name, JC or something like that) works too.
02-20-2018, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The "F" IR remote works well with the battery grip. Have owned two of these (the first didn't make it though the wash) and they've worked with all of my Pentax cameras since (and it's easy to carry).
With respect to the battery grip seem to remember needing to turn off the remote switch when not in use as it otherwise would drain the batteries rather rapidly. The two cable releases; the CS-105 is basically just a switch with a mechanical hold function if shooting in "B" mode. Purchased the TS-110 as it did everything the CS-105 did but expanded the shutter options into sequential and other timed shooting requirements. Additionally, the purchase of the AF360 flash unit expands the MZ-S's shutter release options to include front and rear sync. etc.
The nice thing about all of these devices is that they all ran with over the counter batteries ("AA" & "AAA"). Also, always thought the little pouches that Pentax sewed into the MZ-S strap were a great idea and if I had returned the Remote F to that pouch as I should have it wouldn't have been drowned in the laundry.
02-20-2018, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, it sounds like from other comments the F remote will work. I think I can get it cheaper on ebay than Amazon, but good to know.

---------- Post added 02-20-2018 at 08:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
From the well-worn memory banks, I believe you are correct about the two cabled releases. I had the TS-110 and did use the timing functions a couple times but I can't recall why...never considered the IR sensor? I recall the body/grip combo projecting a light grid for autofocus in the dark, and I almost thought the grip was somehow involved? Naw, that doesn't make sense...

Enjoy that MZ-S. It's my very favorite Pentax body, film or digital for the ergonomics and style. A minimalist DSLR tucked into a retro MZ-S lookalike body would sell to me right away!
Thanks. I do like using it, I'm not sure if it is my favorite though, I tend to like all of them. I've used my Spotmatic since 1970, so that is my old friend. I also have now a K1000, PZ-1P, ZX-L, Super Program, and the MZ-S, and a new K-70 as well.

---------- Post added 02-20-2018 at 08:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote

Thanks. I do like using it, I'm not sure if it is my favorite though, I tend to like all of them. I've used my Spotmatic since 1970, so that is my old friend. I also have now a K1000, PZ-1P, ZX-L, Super Program, and the MZ-S, and a new K-70 as well.

---------- Post added 02-20-2018 at 09:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonner04 Quote
I like the sound it makes when I take a shot...
Yes, I agree. I've been picking up my MZ-S with the grip attached and shooting it without film, and it is impressive how quiet it is compared to some other autofocus, auto-wind cameras.

---------- Post added 02-20-2018 at 09:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I have tried original Pentax remote. It works with MZ-S. The generic one (I don't remember name, JC or something like that) works too.
Good to know, thanks. I think I have that JC or JJC remote, I bought it for my K-50 but never could get it to work. Maybe I'll try it with the MZ-S.

---------- Post added 02-20-2018 at 09:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
The "F" IR remote works well with the battery grip. Have owned two of these (the first didn't make it though the wash) and they've worked with all of my Pentax cameras since (and it's easy to carry).
With respect to the battery grip seem to remember needing to turn off the remote switch when not in use as it otherwise would drain the batteries rather rapidly. The two cable releases; the CS-105 is basically just a switch with a mechanical hold function if shooting in "B" mode. Purchased the TS-110 as it did everything the CS-105 did but expanded the shutter options into sequential and other timed shooting requirements. Additionally, the purchase of the AF360 flash unit expands the MZ-S's shutter release options to include front and rear sync. etc.
The nice thing about all of these devices is that they all ran with over the counter batteries ("AA" & "AAA"). Also, always thought the little pouches that Pentax sewed into the MZ-S strap were a great idea and if I had returned the Remote F to that pouch as I should have it wouldn't have been drowned in the laundry.
Thanks very much for the tips. I'll look for the TS-110, though I can see it is hard to find and will be expensive if I do find one. Yes, I've had an AF360FGZ for some time and it is an impressive flash - it does TTL with my TTL bodies (like the Super Program), P-TTL with the MZ-S and ZX-L, and I can use it in auto mode with the older bodies like the K1000. I also just got an AF200T to use with the Super Program, and I've found that works in TTL mode on the MZ-S (so the camera has a TTL sensor in it for off the film exposure). Neat.

02-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Used Pentax Remote Control F 37377 B&H Photo Video
02-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!
02-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey, just wanted to let folks know I found a remote control that works great with the BG-10 grip on the MZ-S. It also works great with my new Pentax K-70 DSLR as well. Best of all, I already had it, and just needed to get a new 2025 lithium battery! Back in 2013 when I bought my K-50 I also got a "JJC RM-E7 Infrared Remote Control" on ebay for a low price. It was advertised as "Replaces Pentax Remote Control E\F\O-RC1" so I thought it would work for the K-50. However, I never could get it to work, so I threw it in one of my camera bins and just used the delay timer on the camera. Hunting around recently on the web for information on remotes, I saw a picture of the unit, and remembered I had one. I went through several camera bins until I found it, and tested it with the MZ-S, but nothing happened. However, I thought perhaps the battery had died, so I just picked up a new battery for $6 and tried it again. Surprise, it works! It works from both in front of the camera and behind, and over a wide range of angles too, even directly from the side. Then, I tired it with my K-70, and it works great with that too (though only from the front, no sensor in the back), still over a wide range of angles. Good thing I never got around to throwing it away.

I see in the manual that the MZ-S will not autofocus with the remote, I have to focus first. But I can select either immediate or 3-second delay on the shutter with a Pentax Function setting. On my K-70, I can do autofocus or no focusing with the remote, and can select immediate, 3-second delay, or continuous shooting.

--> Richard.
05-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
MZ-S autofocuses before exposure with Timer Switch TS-110?

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
I just got a TS-110 and it works great - it was only $16 sold "untested, as-is" by KEH, which I think was a great deal. One unusual thing I noticed - when using the TS-110 either as a straight cable release or with the timer functions, the MZ-S first autofocuses before the shutter trips. However, when I used the IR remote, the camera would not autofocus before the shutter tripped. Has anyone else seen a difference like this?

Thanks --> Richard.