Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Until she went digital recently my wife was the C-41 film user.
I always liked the results she got with Kodak Ultramax 400.

Chris

05-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I recommend Portra and maybe Cinestill 5., for color.

The first B&W roll you run through your Pentax SFX should be Ilford SFX.
05-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
The first B&W roll you run through your Pentax SFX should be Ilford SFX.
Haha....I hope the OP doesnʻt take this suggestion seriously. Using true B&W infrared film is very difficult because it needed to be kept in cold storage, didnʻt really have an ISO or EI rating, but I would use it around ISO 12....but with an R72 IR filter, you lose at least another 5+ EVs.

I havenʻt tried the Rollei infrared B&W film, but when Ilford SFX came out with an ISO 200 rating and not needing cold storage handling, I had high expectations. Yes, it sort of works and sort of replicates b&w infrared, but I never got it at the same ethereal quality as traditional IR.

Anyone try both the Ilford SFX and Rollei Infrared 400 and can compare and comment?
05-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #34
Pentaxian

If you wanna go cheap on the b&w side, go with Kentmere (especially if you plan to do bulk loading/developing at home down the road)

05-28-2018, 09:02 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Haha....I hope the OP doesnʻt take this suggestion seriously. Using true B&W infrared film is very difficult because it needed to be kept in cold storage, didnʻt really have an ISO or EI rating, but I would use it around ISO 12....but with an R72 IR filter, you lose at least another 5+ EVs.
It isn't *really* full IR film, it is more IR sensitive than other films, but is still visible-light-sensitive as well. It gives you an interesting look compared to other B&W films shot normally (without an IR filter), but not a full-blown IR one.
05-29-2018, 01:09 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Using true B&W infrared film is very difficult because it needed to be kept in cold storage,

Ilford SFX came out with an ISO 200 rating and not needing cold storage handling, Yes, it sort of works and sort of replicates b&w infrared, but I never got it at the same ethereal quality as traditional IR.
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
It isn't *really* full IR film, it is more IR sensitive than other films, but is still visible-light-sensitive as well. It gives you an interesting look compared to other B&W films shot normally (without an IR filter), but not a full-blown IR one.
Yes, I know this as stated previously. Or are you (leekil) responding that the Rollei IR, is like Ilford SFX...but ISO 400 instead of 200? Or the Rollei without a filter is like the SFX with a filter?
05-29-2018, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Yes, I know this as stated previously. Or are you (leekil) responding that the Rollei IR, is like Ilford SFX...but ISO 400 instead of 200? Or the Rollei without a filter is like the SFX with a filter?
I haven't used the Rollei (yet). But this guy has examples of both films:

Finding film part 11: ILFORD SFX 200 | EMULSIVE
Finding Film part 10: Rollin' Rollei Retro 80S and 400S | EMULSIVE

But now we're getting off topic!

05-29-2018, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Decide whether you want monochrome or colour slides or colour prints. Most colour print films are very similar, slight variations in contrast, colour saturation and then ISO speed, but C41 processing and printing is a great leveller. Colour slides fall into either punchy types like 'new' Velvia or more subtle types like Provia, Sensia (if still available) or Ektarchrome (about to be re-released?). The best slide film (Kodachrome) is no more and the rest fall into the above categories (E6 processing is also leveller).

Monochrome is a different animal - you have 'old' technology (FP4+, HP5+, Tri-X), 'new' technology (Delta, T-Max) and Chromogenic (XP2 Super, BW400CN which can be developed in a C41 mini-lab) to choose from, each can be developed for different characteristics by using different development. Choice may depend on your location (I'm in the UK so Ilford is easiest to get). XP2 is widely regarded as a very versatile film - my preference is for FP4+ or HP5+ unless I'm after very low light where Delta 3200 excels.

At the end of the day, it's about shooting and unless you have very specific expectations/requirements, any film is a very good start - there's a learning curve and the mistakes will likely be the same whichever film you use.