Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2018, 01:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fuji Film to be Discontinued

Sad News - Japanese Television is reporting that Fuji is to discontinue their B & W film by October of this year along with their B & W foto paper, I am assuming its their enlarger paper. The report mentioned that demand for B 7 W film peaked in 1965 and has declined ever since.

04-08-2018, 02:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sad news indeed.
04-08-2018, 03:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Acros100 is the only one left isn't it?
04-08-2018, 03:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That is really unfortunate

04-08-2018, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

There's still a good range from Ilford:

Ilford Black & White Film buy at Adorama

Fuji probably felt it was no longer worth competing.
04-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's an interesting discussion about this in the Post Your B&W Film Shots thread; it will be missed, especially Acros by me!
04-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No great shakes as Acros was the only black and white film left in the Fuji line.
I did like using Neopan conventional BW films until those were discontinued years ago.

Fuji has been abandoning film and film users gradually over the last decade.
Strictly a bottom line business decision with no interest in the enthusiast base.

Fortunately as mentioned Ilford has many good offerings in BW film and paper,
and other manufacturers have been introducing more new products recently.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/04/06/business/corporate-business
/japans-fujifilm-end-sales-black-white-photo-film-due-falling-demand/#.WspdbX9rzct

https://petapixel.com/2018/04/06/fujifilm-officially-killing-off-acros-film/

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-08-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Corrected error
04-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
No great shakes as C-41 Acros was the only black and white film left in the Fuji line.
I did like using Neopan conventional BW films until those were discontinued years ago.

Chris
Actually, Acros is conventional, not C-41.

https://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/NeopanAcros100.pdf

What really sets Acros apart from the rest is its superior reciprocity characteristics (only +1/2 stop up to 1000 seconds) making it a favorite for long-exposure photography, film astrophotography in particular.
04-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Acros100 is the only one left isn't it?
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Yes, Neopan Acros 100 is the last emulsion in Fujifilmʻs conventional B&W film line.

Although itʻs preferable that there is competition and more choices as a film photographer, most extinctions seem to leave a void that is filled by something else. When Kodak ruled, the original Ilford company struggled. When Kodak started to eliminate their B&W papers and films like Pan-X, Plus-X, and their C41 Black & White, that reinvigorated sales for Ilford equivalents like Pan-F, FP4+, and XP2+.

Since the departure of Kodachrome, Fujifilm Velvia has been the closest equivalent and I hope they donʻt shut that down too. Provia and Ektachrome are alright, but is missing the WOW factor (if thatʻs what you need from the original).
04-09-2018, 05:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Yes, Neopan Acros 100 is the last emulsion in Fujifilmʻs conventional B&W film line.

Although itʻs preferable that there is competition and more choices as a film photographer, most extinctions seem to leave a void that is filled by something else. When Kodak ruled, the original Ilford company struggled. When Kodak started to eliminate their B&W papers and films like Pan-X, Plus-X, and their C41 Black & White, that reinvigorated sales for Ilford equivalents like Pan-F, FP4+, and XP2+.

Since the departure of Kodachrome, Fujifilm Velvia has been the closest equivalent and I hope they donʻt shut that down too. Provia and Ektachrome are alright, but is missing the WOW factor (if thatʻs what you need from the original).
I get the feeling that Velvia will be the last, or second-last standing (non-instant) film.

I would feel a bit sadder about this discontinuation, but when it comes to film emulsions, B&W definitely has by far the most options.
04-09-2018, 11:02 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I get the feeling that Velvia will be the last, or second-last standing (non-instant) film.
I suspect Tri-X will still be manufactured when humans are a slave race for our Arturan overlords. We will be banned from using technology by the occupying force, so the recipe for making Tri-X at home will be passed orally from generation to generation, and all our future records from that time will be in the form of 400 speed black and white film pushed to 1600.

(Sorry, you were probably just talking about Fuji, but my point still stands.)
04-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I suspect Tri-X will still be manufactured when humans are a slave race for our Arturan overlords. We will be banned from using technology by the occupying force, so the recipe for making Tri-X at home will be passed orally from generation to generation, and all our future records from that time will be in the form of 400 speed black and white film pushed to 1600.

(Sorry, you were probably just talking about Fuji, but my point still stands.)

Who's going to make Tri-X when Kodak goes bankrupt again?
04-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

In the UK we're lucky to be able to get some sort of choice of Ilford film from any decent camera shop - at least FP4+ & HP5+, usually in 35mm and often 120. I'd forgotten Fuji had made B&W, they've stopped making so many recently it's hard to keep track.
05-19-2018, 10:59 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
We Pentaxian's need someone to introduce a new 35mm color film for print. Too much has been discontinued. Every time I hear this news it depresses me. I am enjoying my film cameras more than ever before. I am wondering if this means discontinuing Fuji X-Tra Superia 400. I can still get that readily from where I live in the U.S., but for how long?

-Pentaxlvr
05-20-2018, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlvr Quote
We Pentaxian's need someone to introduce a new 35mm color film for print. Too much has been discontinued. Every time I hear this news it depresses me. I am enjoying my film cameras more than ever before. I am wondering if this means discontinuing Fuji X-Tra Superia 400. I can still get that readily from where I live in the U.S., but for how long?

-Pentaxlvr
Only Kodak and Fujifilm have ever introducted C-41 film, to my knowledge.