Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Posted before but thought contemporary advertisement might fit here:

I keep a Spotmatic on the shelf as I like the ergonomics but that could be because it was my first SLR. My dad gave me his camera and a three Takumar lens set. All have moved on but I have repurchased a Spotmatic in better condition - Dad's was a bit run down internally and was scratching the negative. It is a great camera for continuing to use the M42 lenses that seem to come and go at my place. I have thought of moving it on from time to time but at the return it commands it is just not worth it. I keep batteries in it and give it a few test fires every couple of months.

This is my copy and just for fun I took the pic with a ST 55mm 1.8 at about F2. (using the K3) It is in good cosmetic condition as it has had the full Eveready case on it all its life by the look of it and even the case is in good condition. Probably needs a CLA internally.

05-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just picked up my third “Spottie” an SV. I actually bought it on an auction site for the two lenses, a 150 f/4 and a 35 f/3.5. I didn’t know at the time, but it came with the original Asahi camera case which holds everything, plus an Asahi filter in its original case. The entire set looks hardly used, in direct opposition to my other two, very well used and beat up Spotmatics.
05-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Dad's was a bit run down internally and was scratching the negative.

Negative scratching is commonly caused by rusted or nicked guide rails.
Often these can be buffed out with a pumice stone without affecting film flatness.
That said I look for clean guide rails on film cameras I purchase.

Chris
05-26-2018, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
When I bought my Spotmatic in 1967, neither the SP500 or SP1000 were available. I probably would have bought one, as they were a little cheaper. I think I paid $220 for my Spotmatic with 55mm/1.8 lens. I really wanted the 50/1.4, but that was another $30. When you're a high school kid making $1.10/hour, that's a lot of money.
I have a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic I inherited from my father. The feel and look of it is more professional than my Pentax ZX-50. The chrome shows some slight scuffing and oxidation? The leather cladding is curling up slightly at the film hinge near the shutter side of the camera. It is a standard early model with a cold shoe. The meter works perfectly. The heft I feel when holding it is very reassuring that I have a real camera in my hand. I LOVE the Super Takumar 55mm F/1.8. This is one camera I am going to use this holiday weekend.

-Pentaxlvr

05-26-2018, 09:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Negative scratching is commonly caused by rusted or nicked guide rails.
Often these can be buffed out with a pumice stone without affecting film flatness.
That said I look for clean guide rails on film cameras I purchase.
Hi Chris, the corrosion was clear to see on the rails. The overall wear and tear on the body was significant so sold it as a rear cap on a Super Takumar 35mm f2 (wide front filter version).
05-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Hi Chris, the corrosion was clear to see on the rails.

Minor rust on film guide rails can be cleaned up however it's a good indicator that camera may have been stored in high humidity.
When I observe rusted guide rails I always assume there may be additional unseen internal corrosion of critical parts.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-28-2018 at 03:23 AM.