Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2018, 06:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax Super A/Super Program camera strap and shutter sound

I just bought a nice example of the Pentax Super A/Super Program. Cleaned it up quite a bit but yet to put a roll film through.

I was just wondering if any one knows what the ORIGINAL camera strap that came with this camera looks like?

I have a spare black one with red lettering but would love to get as close as possible to the original.

Did Pentax cameras in the 1980s use those thin black nylon type of straps that Nikon used back then?

Also, the shutter sound is quite loud, like a a solid "ka-chunk". Is that normal?

Thank you!

Last edited by Theov39; 04-26-2018 at 03:20 AM.
04-25-2018, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I cannot be certain about the Super A or Super Program, but I had a 1980's ME Super and it had a very basic thin black strap AFAIR. Generally the supplied straps with cameras in those days were thin and minimal, leading to a thriving aftermarket in wide straps that usually boasted the camera brand name. I guess that the camera makers got quite a lot of royalties from independent strap makers putting their names on the straps.
04-25-2018, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Can't be sure, but picked up a Super A that came with a Japanese manual and strap that looked original. It was black with red PENTAX lettering, the wider part of the strap was about 3/4". Don't have it anymore, was too short for me, sold off with a ME Super. The shutter sounds about right, that and the LCD screens in the viewfinder are the only things I don't like about the Super Program, besides that, a great little camera.

Have fun with it.
04-25-2018, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
I was just wondering if any one knows what the ORIGINAL camera strap that came with this camera looks like?
Check the review of the Super A and there are a couple pictures of the strap for the "1983 European camera of the year": (The Super program was only for the NA market)

Pentax Super A / Super Program - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Phil.

04-25-2018, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
A Program Plus (nee Program A) that I saw one day at a thrift store (and regret not buying for fear of getting complaints from SWMBO about yet another camera) had a bright red strap about 1" (2.54cm) wide, with the white PENTAX logo embroidered on it. Meanwhile, the A30 I have came with a black strap with red Pentax logo. Perhaps Asahi sold different styles of straps back then.
04-25-2018, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I vote the red with white letter version, though my copy of the manual shows the metal clasp typical of the thin-style fabric strap.

Steve
04-25-2018, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #7

The Progam Plus I inherited from my sister (bought new) has a thin black fabric strap that widens from 1/2 inch to 1 inch in the center. The center has a no-slip black faux suede leather strip and the fabric side is embroidered "PENTAX" in red. Buckles are black plastic and the little collars (also black) have "PENTAX" in raised letters on one side.

04-25-2018, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The Progam Plus I inherited from my sister (bought new) has a thin black fabric strap that widens from 1/2 inch to 1 inch in the center. The center has a no-slip black faux suede leather strip and the fabric side is embroidered "PENTAX" in red. Buckles are black plastic and the little collars (also black) have "PENTAX" in raised letters on one side.
I suppose I should add that mine (purchased used from a forum member) has the thinly-padded black fabric strap described above.

Steve
04-25-2018, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

that the one on mine. You wouldn't know it was pentax made if you didn't look on the buckles or plastic. Nonetheless, It is perfect for me. The SuperProgram is so small it hardly needs a strap, and this strap is thin enough that its easy to stuff into the camera bag. It limitation is it is a touch too short but I use it anyway..
04-25-2018, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
that the one on mine. You wouldn't know it was pentax made if you didn't look on the buckles or plastic. Nonetheless, It is perfect for me. The SuperProgram is so small it hardly needs a strap, and this strap is thin enough that its easy to stuff into the camera bag. It limitation is it is a touch too short but I use it anyway..
I'm actually quite a fan of those thin fabric straps (even those without the padding) --- they seem to last virtually forever and when they're well broken in as many are, they become much more supple and soft, yet still cling to your shoulder fairly well. Plus, they're just lightweight and thin. Not the prettiest things in the world, but very low-key and functional.
04-25-2018, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

The original strap for the Super Program was similar, but not identical, to what is described here for the Program Plus.

The Super Program strap was just plain black, pretty thin, with some faux suede padding on it where it hangs around your neck. The only writing was on the buckles & "little collars". This strap came with my original Super Program back in the day and that is also what any used ones I have purchased came with. A well-used one would not be great strap today, as it can get kind of stiff (probably from sweat).

You can sort of see it in this photo from another Super Program thread (posted by lawsonstone):

It's possible that another strap was available outside the US or in special kits, but it seems like that plain black strap was also used for other Pentaxes around the same time, as mentioned by someone else.

---------- Post added 04-25-18 at 12:47 PM ----------

OK, checking around, I also have some that came with the type of strap with the red "Pentax" on it.
04-25-2018, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Super Program had the black strap with red letters. I bought it new in 1985 or so in the US...

-Eric
04-25-2018, 06:40 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for that. Very helpful. I was trying to get the original look but it seems that the stock strap varied depending on the market.
04-25-2018, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Also, the shutter sound is quite loud, like a a solid "ka-chunk". Is that normal?
Yes, that is normal...at least that is what mine sounds like. Vertical metal shutters of the time were not particularly quiet with the difference between camera brand/model being mostly a matter of quality of sound than intensity. Most of noise with the Super Program come when the mirror returns.

Steve
04-26-2018, 03:19 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, that is normal...at least that is what mine sounds like. Vertical metal shutters of the time were not particularly quiet with the difference between camera brand/model being mostly a matter of quality of sound than intensity. Most of noise with the Super Program come when the mirror returns.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Good know. Obviously not a camera for close up shots at weddings then