Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I have a local lab that does E6, C-41 and b&w. I can get all three types processed and back the same day, if I drop the film off in the morning. (Scans take two days if I want them done)
I’m jealous. I have Walmart, and they don’t even return your negatives. I developed my first roll of B&W in 25 years this weekend. It was interesting, but I think I over developed a bit. I’m going to have to work on my technique. I have yet to try C41 or E-6. Those I just mail off when I get enough rolls to mail off.

04-30-2018, 10:40 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The only thing I send out is my b&w slide film.
What do you use for B&W slide film?
04-30-2018, 10:51 PM   #18
Pentaxian

This sounds interesting but I don't even have time for the single-in on digital, so I'm not sure how I'd manage on film. I also develop colour very sporadically (places are not easy to get to for drop-off or pick-up) and B&W I wait until I have at least a few rolls before I get everything out. Then there's scanning - I currently have 17 rolls of developed 135 film waiting to be scanned
05-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
What do you use for B&W slide film?
Fomapan R100.

I use DR5 Chrome for the development and they also can do b&w negatives processed as positives. I have tried a few negative films over the years and Adox Silvermax is the best so far as a positive.
DR5 Chrome also will do the slide mounting as well.

Phil.

05-09-2018, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sorry to have gone quiet on this. Had a work trip to Valencia which was one of those work hard / play hard events not leaving much time for posting or processing (although I did shoot quite a few images).

Here is my proposal. See what you think.

1. We set-up a monthly schedule of themes. For example: June: longer lenses, July: go wide, August: Go slow... Velvia month; September: lets be normal for a change, October: colour month, Kodak Portra; November: classic BW, Kodak Tri-X, December: use something unusual.

2. Just before the start of the month in a discussion thread we say what we are planning to use, e.g., "in June I am going to use my Spotmatic with my 85mm lens shooting Agfa APX 100." In a lens month, you should pick a lens that fits the general theme, in the film month any lens goes but stick to the film stock. Obviously, terms like "normal" depend on the format you are planning to use.

3. During that month we shoot as much as we feel comfortable with using that camera/lens/film combo. (If you feel the need to use a different body during the month, for whatever reason, then that's fine.)

4. When you get a film / some films back, start a new thread called something on the lines of "June 2018, 85mm, APX100, roll 1". Post scans of any images you particularly like from that roll. This can be at any time after the start of the month. We have no way of policing it (and why should we, this is supposed to be fun!), but the images should have been shot in the appropriate month. These postings can be somewhat after the end of the month to allow for those of us who usually send film to be developed in batches.

5. I'd like to sometimes be able to use one of my folders, or my FED2 rangefinder, so I suggest that any combination that fits the monthly theme is fine.

6. All postings (both discussion threads and postings) should be in the Film Shooters Unite group (I need to check with the mods about this).

What do you all think. Just an idea for discussion at the moment.

Thanks, Kris.
05-09-2018, 05:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I like it. Will likely force some of us who plan to but infrequently take notes to be more disciplined to keep track for posting in the correct thread. I also like the idea of each month’s images being posted to a single thread for consolidation and ease of seeing others’ results.
05-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep I like it too, good plan/idea Kris!

Phil.

05-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm in!
05-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Sounds like a good plan, would certainly be up for giving it a go.
05-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #25
Pentaxian

It certainly sounds workable and even like it would push me to get out and shoot more rather than feel pressured to get out and shoot.
05-10-2018, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll try. Just one request.... please try and announce challenges for specific films with far enough lead time so I (we?) can order some fresh rolls.
05-10-2018, 09:33 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I'll try. Just one request.... please try and announce challenges for specific films with far enough lead time so I (we?) can order some fresh rolls.
My idea is that we would announce a six-month schedule in advance to cover just that issue.
05-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some films that should be included:
  • Fujifilm Velvia 50/100
  • Fujifilm C200 (Seriously, it's really good considering its price)
  • Kodak Ektar
  • Kodak Portra (160, 400?, 800?)
  • Ilford XP2 Super
  • Kodak Tmax
05-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
My idea is that we would announce a six-month schedule in advance to cover just that issue.
I would suggest that you provide a schedule, and we could all suggest possible changes. I suspect we have three possible variables: film type, lens type, and subject matter. It would also work to double up, like “street photography with tri-x” or “long lens landscape” (those would be my off-the-top-of-my-head suggestions. One is obvious—tri-x for street photography, and one is less obvious—using telephoto on landscapes). Triple up might be a little too restrictive (long lens landscape with lomochrome?)

EDIT: I’d also add that if we have a June theme, it shouldn’t involve film types. It might be too soon for people to get their film (shipping is usually fast enough, but film budgets might need time to replenish.)

Last edited by abruzzi; 05-10-2018 at 12:01 PM.
05-11-2018, 01:18 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Some films are hard to find in some areas, others are very expensive in some areas. Some people will have more light than others depending on the season and location. Some of us also have significant stashes of expired film they need to work through before buying new. There are some films I've tried and would never buy again (Foma) so I'm not going to spend money on them. And that's not getting into formats - some people only shoot MF or LF, others only small format, others a mix...

I'd suggest that if any limitations are put on film that it be simple colour or B&W, nothing more. Beyond that the "single in" portion can be limited to a single roll of film, a single camera (obviously, though it's technically possible sometimes to switch) and a single lens.