Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2018, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Film version of "Single in..."?

I have had a lot of fun (and learnt quite a bit) doing the "Single in..." challenge where I try and take and post one photo with the same lens every day for a month. So far this year I have used the K105/2.8, FA31 Ltd, Jupiter-9 85mm and the F50/1.7. May sees me use the K200/4.

The format, however, doesn't really work for film. Either one posts the images for the correct date sometime after that date, or one posts on the day the image is scanned which has other problems.

When I was an active member of Flickr I used to take part in their "roll in a day" challenges which I enjoyed.

Is there any enthusiasm for creating a "challenge" for film shooters which would work better for us? I'm open to suggestions, but something which enables someone to see how a particular film and lens combination works. Perhaps aim to shoot three rolls of a particular film with one lens over the month, then post the best ten images? There is already a fairly moribund "Film shooters unite" group, but I am sure we could get the management to set something-up for the challenge.

What do you film shooters think?

Kris.

04-30-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was "prolifically" shooting film, that would never work because sometimes it took me a year just to process the film much less scan it. For me, now, it might work that a single roll shot with the same lens over a year would be a challenge
04-30-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I did once manage a "Single In" on film, shooting 12 exp bulk rolled film and developing every other day or so. Was a lot of work! Good practice developing though.

If a suitable format could be worked out I would certainly be up for trying it, I'm not sure what this format might look like though. Perhaps rather than daily making it a weekly thing where everyone posts their best picture taken that week on say, the Sunday.
04-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have done a few months of film in Single In.. IMO - posting once per week worked best - accommodating work and the more demanding work flow.

I would shoot a month (or two) if you wanted to get one going...

04-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would also be interested in joining to see how it goes. I process all my own film usually on a weekly basis.
04-30-2018, 11:16 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

I'd suggest film stocks--that way we can do something the digitals can't. Once a month, put up a challenge to shoot develop (or send out for developing) and post [#] good shots over the course of the the month on [insert film stock here]. You might need to give some heads up because most of us have a week wait to get film we don't already have.

I would also be fun because it would give me excuse to try some film types I might not normally use, and to see how other people use that film.
04-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've currently got somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30 unprocessed rolls waiting on me. I've been a bad boy.
'Single in' would definitely be a challenge I'd likely drop from inadvertently, but some other suggestions here are good and more accommodating to varied schedules and levels of laziness.

04-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I'd suggest film stocks--that way we can do something the digitals can't. Once a month, put up a challenge to shoot develop (or send out for developing) and post [#] good shots over the course of the the month on [insert film stock here]. You might need to give some heads up because most of us have a week wait to get film we don't already have.

I would also be fun because it would give me excuse to try some film types I might not normally use, and to see how other people use that film.
Some film stocks might require two weeks... E-6 for local development is rare, and getting rarer.
04-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree weekly posts would make sense. I typically load bulk short rolls (20) B&W and process on the weekend. Having to shoot a 36 roll of color takes me weeks!
04-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Some film stocks might require two weeks... E-6 for local development is rare, and getting rarer.
Yeah. The only local development in my town is home developed B&W, which at the moment means Rodinal. So advance notice on film type, means participants are ready with their stock. A week or two to shoot two rolls, a couple weeks to process, and up to a week to choose your photos. Everything is going to take that long for those of us that don't have local developing except for those that can develop at home. Realistically, there would be same lag even if you're doing other approaches like lens or topical themes. I don't have a sense how many people here develop their own film, and whether thats limited to B&W.
04-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m sort of curious how many people we have that process at home these days. I do B&W and C-41 and usually process every other week which is my short week at work.
04-30-2018, 05:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I send C-41 to the local shop who processes weekly.

I do some B&W at home as time permits or similarly send to the shop to process.
04-30-2018, 05:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a local lab that does E6, C-41 and b&w. I can get all three types processed and back the same day, if I drop the film off in the morning. (Scans take two days if I want them done)

The only thing I send out is my b&w slide film.

Phil.
04-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I'd be interested. I only have 36exp rolls right now, and like TomB mentioned already, they would be a pain for a project like this. I wouldn't mind bulk rolling some short rolls for this purpose. Specifically, I'd like to try the Kodak Vision cine film which is available in 100' rolls, but I might need a few weeks lead time.
04-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I’d be up for it, but I’ve never developed a roll of film. I don’t have the time to start learning right now, let alone the scanning workflow. Almost need to set up the challenge and then have the posts go up a month later and it will just be a bit slow getting the pipeline going.