Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #1

Pentax MZ-7 mirror motor compatibility

Hello,
Last day I bought two Pentax SLR cameras: Pentax MZ-5N and Pentax MZ-7, only bodies.
Pentax MZ-5N is fully functional (only flash spring broken - known issue and some scratches in viewfinder eye)
The second one, Pentax MZ-7, have a locked mirror up and some pictograms on LCD when power on. I unscrew some covers and unlock mirror and aperture lever, screw back and power on, set on AUTO PICT, focusing on something and triggered one. At the second trigger, the mirror remain locked up. No film in camera.
I never found discussion about mirror motor compatibility between two cameras and I want to move motor from MZ-5N to MZ-7 and make the last one fully functional.
Could anyone tell me if these motors are compatible? Thank you.

George.

05-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They should be identical, I believe all the MZ series use the same motor. Be forewarned though, it’s not actually the motor, but the plastic gear on the motor which fails. The gear will split and will spin on the shaft. There is still a company in Germany which has made brass gears that match. I found a link to the company searching threads on the issue here. They do ship worldwide.
05-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for answer. I read about plastic gear failure and I want to move entire motor, whit its gear...
05-24-2018, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #4

You can order a compatible replacement pinion gear:

Failed MZ-M: Plastic Gear Issue? - PentaxForums.com

05-29-2018, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lonerider41life Quote
Thank you for answer. I read about plastic gear failure and I want to move entire motor, whit its gear...
If you're already planning performing surgery at that level, I would replace the gear at the same time with metal. Otherwise it is only a matter of time before you have to go into it all over again.

---------- Post added 05-29-18 at 10:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can order a compatible replacement pinion gear:

Failed MZ-M: Plastic Gear Issue? - PentaxForums.com
I ordered the gear for my MZ-3 about 2 or 3 years ago but never performed the swap as the MZ-3 continues to work fine. This reminds me... I really need to figure out what I have done with that gear and label it properly so it doesn't take me 2 weeks to find it when needed!