Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

Extreme newbie to all of this stuff...

Hi!
My name is Scott.. I am in Oklahoma.
I am in my fifties and have never really been a camera pro..but have used them like most folks for personal fun..never really learned photograpghy beyond the basics because point and shoot digitals and my phone cameras have worked so well.
I always wanted to be a better versed user but never got serious about shooting until recently.
I have a nice Fuji Finepix that I use for most all my stuff..but I still am learning and need to learn much more. ..
So here is why I am posting on this specific forum..
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a nice vintage Pentax film camera.
It is a SP500. I know very little about film cameras and was wondering if ya'll could give me sime info in this camera.. is it worth using ..is it something I can pick up somewhat quickly as far as learning to use.. what tips can you share to help me cross over from digital to film?????
I paid $10 for the camera including a couple of lenses.. the camera has screw mounting lens.. I don't know what lens should be on the camera originally..the two other are branded as a Vivitar 135mm telephoto and a Sigma Widemax respectively.
Everything looks in nice condition though I don't know if the items even work.... oh and there was a big bag og other items though I don't know enough about them to comment on them..
I appreciate any comments and thoughts on this camera and of course any helpful tips..
Scott

Attached Images

Last edited by soonerbillz; 06-05-2018 at 08:26 AM.
06-02-2018, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spotmatic 500

See here: Pentax SP500 - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
06-02-2018, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #3

Welcome to the forum Scott. I am in Oklahoma as well. I didn’t know much about photography either until I got my first Pentax DSLR about 10 years ago (K10D). I’ve learned a lot since then - I believe in large part because I chose Pentax instead of the other camera systems out there. The ability to use older - manual focus lenses (k-mount and screw mount) on the modern DSLRs - opened up a lot more options for me than I would have had otherwise. Using the manual lenses forces a person to learn a lot more about how things work - in order to get a good shot. Truthfully, at this point, even if I was able to buy the nicest modern glass, I don’t think I would. I enjoy the old manual stuff too much.

As for the camera you bought. I can’t speak to it specifically as I haven’t used it before. I can say that if it works and if you’re interested in shooting film- then it’s worth using. It’s hard to say if it’ll be easy to learn, as I’m sure there’s a bit of a learning curve. Speaking strictly about the lenses, there are a lot of great older lenses that produce wonderful results - if you’re willing to learn and be patient with them. The screw mount lenses can also be used on the modern DSLRs - with an inexpensive adapter. Again - with patience - they can produce great results. If you do become interested in going for a digital SLR - I recommend going with a used one. It’s a great and inexpensive way to get started. But don’t let me talk you out of using film - as that’s great too. Again, welcome, and enjoy!
06-02-2018, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

All modern digital cameras, and most of the film cameras from the 90s and 2000s spoil users on automation—auto focus, auto exposure, etc. the challenging thing is the camera you have is fully manual. The first thing you need to learn, if you don’t know this already, is the ins and outs of exposing the film correctly. Google the exposure triangle if it’s new to you, to start leaning that, just remember that unlike a digital camera, ISO is set by the type of film you choose, and can’t be changed from shot to shot. But the rest is the same—aperture, shutter speed, “stops” of light.

I don’t know the spotmatics at all so look for a manual to figure out how to load film and use the meter built into the camera.

06-02-2018, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a couple of Spotmatics and they are great cameras - very simple compared to modern DSLRs, but still very capable, and look great. The biggest issue is that they are getting on in years and unless regularly serviced will have some mechanical issues. They can be repaired easily enough, but unless you are doing it yourself it is likely to be cheaper to find a ready-fixed one. Also you need to find and pay for film...and developing if not doing it yourself. To offset this, you can get a good body and a collection of very good lenses for far less than the cost of a new DSLR body.
06-02-2018, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Scott. You will find that, with the correct adapter, those screw mount lenses will work well on any Pentax K-mount (bayonet mount) camera, including all Pentax DSLRs.
Kind regards,
Mark
(New Zealand)
06-03-2018, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Scott. Welcome.

Old Spotmatics can be great fun, so if it works, it may be quite rewarding.

I picked up an old copy of ‘The Asahi Pentax Way’ last year for about $10. It’s a neat gear guide of the vintage of the camera that also includes some good guidance on how to use it.

-Eric

06-03-2018, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First step now that you have the camera is to read the manual to get very familiar with how it works. Web link to a manual is provided below. The step after that is to hone your understanding of the "triangular" relationship among shutter speed, aperture and ISO/ASA, and the strategic use thereof to achieve the image results you are wanting (depth of field being a major factor, typically). For me, the user manual I received with my KX film camera provided a nice, easy to follow, guide on this topic, so you might want to search for one of those manuals. Finally, finding the right film(s) that best suits you should be a goal. I'm assuming online research and/or a visit to a good camara store can help you in that regard.

Enjoy!

Pentax Spotmatic SP - owner's manual
06-03-2018, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Scott and welcome to the forums. The in camera meter is your friend! After you set your film speed play around with a couple of rolls with setting your aperture/f stops and shutter speeds to see what they will do in bright and in not so bright situations. You should make notes especially in the beginning so you know what your settings were with each picture when you review them. There area lot of used m42 (that's the screw mount) lenses available for a range of prices, just google m42 lenses. I have a few Takumars that work great on my KP and K-1 even now.
06-03-2018, 07:06 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums!

The Spotmatic is a great camera, I have 3 of them and am using one for the Film Shooter Challenge this month. The only issue you may find is the battery. The camera calls for a 1.35V mercury battery, which is no longer available in most of the world. You can find Silver batteries usually in 1.4 and 1.5V, and they will work. There is also available Zinc Air hearing aid batteries in 1.4V, (size 10 with an o-ring) just be aware, zinc air batteries begin to lose voltage when you pull the tab, and continue to do so even when not in use. They tend to last 1-3 months, depending on usage. I have used a 1.5V battery with good results, in low light situations, the greater voltage will cause the meter to be off by a stop or two. But with film, it's usually not noticed.

Again, welcome and enjoy the community.
06-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thanks!
06-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaremart Quote
Welcome to the forum Scott. I am in Oklahoma as well. I didn’t know much about photography either until I got my first Pentax DSLR about 10 years ago (K10D). I’ve learned a lot since then - I believe in large part because I chose Pentax instead of the other camera systems out there. The ability to use older - manual focus lenses (k-mount and screw mount) on the modern DSLRs - opened up a lot more options for me than I would have had otherwise. Using the manual lenses forces a person to learn a lot more about how things work - in order to get a good shot. Truthfully, at this point, even if I was able to buy the nicest modern glass, I don’t think I would. I enjoy the old manual stuff too much.

As for the camera you bought. I can’t speak to it specifically as I haven’t used it before. I can say that if it works and if you’re interested in shooting film- then it’s worth using. It’s hard to say if it’ll be easy to learn, as I’m sure there’s a bit of a learning curve. Speaking strictly about the lenses, there are a lot of great older lenses that produce wonderful results - if you’re willing to learn and be patient with them. The screw mount lenses can also be used on the modern DSLRs - with an inexpensive adapter. Again - with patience - they can produce great results. If you do become interested in going for a digital SLR - I recommend going with a used one. It’s a great and inexpensive way to get started. But don’t let me talk you out of using film - as that’s great too. Again, welcome, and enjoy!
Thank you everyone for the responses.. sure is some great tips and info and it really is appreciated. Too bad I don't have a Pentax DSLR to try out the lenses on.. My little Fuji is a great east to use camera but I will take the advice and find a used Pentax to add to my kit. I know learning the proper use of the lenses themselves is going to be something else and great fun!
The "triangle" ya'll talked about is something totally new to me and I am already searching out sources on the web to get familiar.. nowadays with such great resources online, such as this page... learning is so much easier.. One of the reasons I chose joining here was I knew that getting pointed in the right direction is half the battle and what better way than via a forum like this.
If you check out my username "Soonerbillz" online you will find I am a very avid motorcycle and car guy.. I love building and restoring and participating in competitions. So old, vintage equipment is a love of mine already making the purchase and find of this camera a perfect fit for me. I know on a strictly economic logic line that modern equipment is so much better... much more advanced and that the use of vintage cameras is likely going to be a somewhat less than logical decision. That being said I think as far as actually learning how a camera works and learning about lenses and all this stuff the vintage manual actions may be a better format.
From the responses I take it that the SP500 is a good one to start with.. the tips about the battery and about taking notes on the film results are excellent and info I can use.. The user manual download is also so appreciated.. I was amazed at the number of responses and the depth of the commentary.. really, I am thankfull to ya'll for the help..
Looks like I got a bunch to study and do so thanks again!
Scott
06-04-2018, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum Scott, I can't add more about the camera as most has been covered above - check out the action of the meter/stop-down switch as that's crucial for operating the camera. Essentially you focus with the switch down (the aperture will be open fully giving a brighter viewfinder), move the switch up to make the meter reading (the aperture closes to the set aperture).
Once you get the hang of the camera and start to get reasonable results, you'll be hooked - so be warned, you might be after more kit sooner than you expect...
06-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #14

Original Poster
Hey folks.. I uploaded pics of the camera and the two lenses I got..
I attached them to my original post.

---------- Post added 06-05-18 at 08:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Welcome to the forum Scott, I can't add more about the camera as most has been covered above - check out the action of the meter/stop-down switch as that's crucial for operating the camera. Essentially you focus with the switch down (the aperture will be open fully giving a brighter viewfinder), move the switch up to make the meter reading (the aperture closes to the set aperture).
Once you get the hang of the camera and start to get reasonable results, you'll be hooked - so be warned, you might be after more kit sooner than you expect...

Thanks!
I think the button you reference works but won't be sure till tonight when I pick up my film and battery.The local store carries 400 speed film.. is that a good one to start with?
Uh ..and yeah I'm already checking Craigslist for goodies.. see some like kid Pentax items on there..
06-05-2018, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by soonerbillz Quote
Hey folks.. I uploaded pics of the camera and the two lenses I got..
I attached them to my original post.

---------- Post added 06-05-18 at 08:31 AM ----------

Thanks!
I think the button you reference works but won't be sure till tonight when I pick up my film and battery.The local store carries 400 speed film.. is that a good one to start with?
Uh ..and yeah I'm already checking Craigslist for goodies.. see some like kid Pentax items on there..
400 speed is good for indoors and outside when it's not really sunny. It's a little fast for really sunny days.