Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2008, 01:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax LX rewinding problem

Dear All,

I have just finished role of Delta 3200 and I tried to rewind it back to cassette (I hope that this is a english name for place where the film original was. I manage to make 3, 4 full rotation hearing that there is a nice resistance (even too strong). Then it became loose. I checked few times if film advancing lever produces some resistance and there was none. Foolishly I opened the camera only to see that whole film is out of the cassette. I lost all pictures sadly. I managed to get out the film quite easily from the "advancing barrel". i know that I should have opened it in the darkroom, but I wasn't too patient.

Now, could anyone suggest an explanation? Did I attached the film too firmly to "advancing barrel" or maybe something is wrong with the camera in the first place? I did put the advancing lever to rewinding position and I rewinded it in the right direction . Any suggestion are highly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Pusiek

09-12-2008, 01:46 AM   #2

Original Poster
Additionally, I have to add that the film is teared slightly on the end that supposed to stay in the cassette.
09-12-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
Inactive Account

You know you're meant to hold that button on the bottom of the camera in while rewinding, right?
09-12-2008, 02:41 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ok.

Then I am stupid after all. No, I didn't know that. I must admit, that I skipped the manual reading part and I don't remember such procedure in my previous cameras. I hope I didn't damage the camera. Thank you very much for the information.

Best Regards,

Pusiek

09-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
You know you're meant to hold that button on the bottom of the camera in while rewinding, right?
News to me, mine's never needed that... just punch it once and rewind.
09-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
ive never had a single pentax film camera that needed the film release button to be held down. it should lock in place and allow you to rewind the film. if the button doesn't lock in place then it needs repair. oh and reading the manual will help avoid such situations.
09-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #7

In Pentax Film Cameras you normally need to only push the button once, but if you take pressure off the rewind sometimes the button will then pop back out. It is always best to either watch the button when rewinding or just keep it pressed in until the rewind is finished.

Tom

09-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Aye, ennacac - that's exactly what I do and why I do it. If you get to spinning the rewind handle fast and the button pops out, you can do some damage.
09-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Since I hold my cameras from the bottom in my left hand when rewinding, I find it simple to rest my index finger on the button and hold it in as I rewind the film. I think I got into this habit with my original SV because I didn't realize at first that the button locked in (used camera, no manual).

CW
09-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is not uncommon for the locking rewind button to malfunction and pop out, especially on older and worn cameras.
Simply hold the rewind button in until the film is completely rewound, and have it repaired when the camera is next serviced.

FWIW most pre-1960's 35mm cameras did not have locking rewind buttons.

Chris
09-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
In Pentax Film Cameras you normally need to only push the button once, but if you take pressure off the rewind sometimes the button will then pop back out. It is always best to either watch the button when rewinding or just keep it pressed in until the rewind is finished.

Tom
I have two cameras that need the rewind button held in as i rewind the film. Stuck, broken who knows, but its not a big deal but if i feel resistance, i hold the button in.

Dave
12-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My LX needs the button to be held down, my MX and SuperProgram don't. I always rewind slowly just in case.