Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #1

Weird exposure stuff on my SF7

Using an SF7 recently, I observed some artifacts on my film that lead me to think that there was something amiss with the shutter - but I guess it could be anything, dodgy film, developing, etc.

Sample pictures below show some intensity banding, of varying severity. Not all pictures on the roll seem to show it, and the film I used before this didn't seem to show it. It hasn't seemed to affect flash sync (picture of the person with the camera.)

Any ideas what might be causing it?

Film was Ilford XP2 super 400. Lens was 200mm F/3.5 Vivitar.

Cheers,

Dave

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
D-lab.2/3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
D-lab.2/3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
D-lab.2/3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
D-lab.2/3  Photo 
06-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eldavo Quote
Using an SF7 recently, I observed some artifacts on my film that lead me to think that there was something amiss with the shutter - but I guess it could be anything, dodgy film, developing, etc.

Sample pictures below show some intensity banding, of varying severity. Not all pictures on the roll seem to show it, and the film I used before this didn't seem to show it. It hasn't seemed to affect flash sync (picture of the person with the camera.)

Any ideas what might be causing it?

Film was Ilford XP2 super 400. Lens was 200mm F/3.5 Vivitar.

Cheers,

Dave
Can you see these bands under a loupe or magnifying glass on the negatives themselves?
Do the negatives of affected frames look to be as dense as the flash shot generally?

---------- Post added 06-18-18 at 08:16 PM ----------

A shutter capping sort of issue would be much more pronounced, and the SF7 is a metal vertical travel.
These look more like scanner banding to me, though usually they're very uniform while these seem to have some curvature.
That would make me think (non-uniformity) something in the photo wash etc. Who dev'd these and how were they scanned (really still looks like digital banding to me).
06-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you scanned the negatives yourself with a flatbed scanner, maybe check that there's no dust on the calibration strip. I've had a similar issue, although the stripes dont look quite the same, this is the thread that I opened: Stripes on scanned negatives - PentaxForums.com
06-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
It was developed and scanned at FotoFast in Oz.

I've had a fair bit of stuff scanned there and not observed the same issue. It's the only roll of XP2 I have used though.

Two more bad photos, but good examples of the issue, attached.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
D-lab.2/3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
D-lab.2/3  Photo 
06-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eldavo Quote
It was developed and scanned at FotoFast in Oz.

I've had a fair bit of stuff scanned there and not observed the same issue. It's the only roll of XP2 I have used though.

Two more bad photos, but good examples of the issue, attached.
That's clearer with the same scene exposed twice, but again - can you see these bands on the neg itself?

---------- Post added 06-18-18 at 09:04 PM ----------

It looks to me like it's a dual-problem. there seems to be something wrong with portions of the film being under-exposed, either due to a development issue or issue with the emulsion itself. In each of the problem frames there's a curved line dividing where the image is much darker to one side. On the darker side is where the banding occurs, because the scanner is struggling to pull detail out of the much more dense areas. On my scanners where problem banding has occured it's always been on dark frames or very dark areas of the same frame. So I'm betting that the difference bewtween the light and dark portions is probably more pronounced looking on the negative itself and the scan has equalized it a bit, but caused bands in the trying.
You should give Fotofast a ring and discuss. Could have been an issue with their dev. Could have been an issue with that roll of film.

edit: btw, Ilford XP2 is a c-41 process black & white film, meaning it is processed along with c-41 color films. Whatever rolls you shot before, if black and white but a different type, was likely a regular black & white film and would have been processed differently, separately from color film chemistry.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 06-18-2018 at 09:10 PM. Reason: more tidbits
06-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
I'll take a look this evening and report what I find, thanks!
06-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can only see vertical bands, the SF7 shutter runs vertically - which would produce horizontal bands if there was problem - so I doubt it's the shutter.