Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Age shall not wither them..... dioptre adjustments

Quick question - I want to use my old ME-Super but sadly my optical qualities have not stood the test of time nearly as well the camera and lenses have.

If I am looking for a diopter adjustment do I look for one that matches my distance or my reading prescription ?

TVM

06-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm007 Quote
Quick question - I want to use my old ME-Super but sadly my optical qualities have not stood the test of time nearly as well the camera and lenses have.

If I am looking for a diopter adjustment do I look for one that matches my distance or my reading prescription ?

TVM
Good question. I have a feeling it should be your distance prescription as someone who only needs reading glasses would not need any dioptre adjustment.

06-19-2018, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An easy way to adjust the diopter properly is to adjust the diopter until the f-stop/shutter speed readings displayed in the viewfinder are clear and sharp for your eyes. Not sure if the ME has internal readings like this, if not I'd adjust for distance.
06-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your reading prescription. I have correction adapters installed on most of my film cameras.*

Edit: Not quite true, though the reading distance will work much better than the distance prescription. Mea culpa

Steve

* Strangely, my Exakta film cameras work fine without.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-19-2018 at 02:04 PM.
06-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your reading prescription. I have correction adapters installed on most of my film cameras.*

Steve

* Strangely, my Exakta film cameras work fine without.
Hmm. I have a reading prescription of +1.75 and have no need to adjust the dioptre setting. Are you sure it shouldn't be the distance prescription?

06-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Hmm. I have a reading prescription of +1.75 and have no need to adjust the dioptre setting. Are you sure it shouldn't be the distance prescription?
I believe you are just looking at the focusing screen, which is only a few inches away
06-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I believe you are just looking at the focusing screen, which is only a few inches away
I can see the image in the viewfinder in focus with no optical aids and no dioptre adjustment. I certainly cannot read a book a few inches away from my face.

06-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also don't forget the ME Super already has a -1 diopter correction built into the viewfinder, so you will need to take this into account.

Phil.
06-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The apparent distance of most SLR focusing screens is actually closer to infinity.
Normally any diopter correction would be based on your distance prescription.

The Pentax M cameras big viewfinder image is due in part to a nearer apparent distance.

Chris
06-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The apparent distance of most SLR focusing screens is actually closer to infinity.
Normally any diopter correction would be based on your distance prescription.

The Pentax M cameras big viewfinder image is due in part to a nearer apparent distance.

Chris
Interesting because I can't see distances to save my life (required by law to wear glasses to drive), but closeup I'm razor sharp, and I see my viewfinder best without glasses on.
06-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Interesting because I can't see distances to save my life (required by law to wear glasses to drive), but closeup I'm razor sharp, and I see my viewfinder best without glasses on.
Have you adjusted the dioptre though?

06-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Have you adjusted the dioptre though?
nope. The K-3ii was fine, new out of the box. The SuperProgram, P67, and Bronica ETRSi were all used, and are all fine. They may have had the diopter replaced, but I don't know. It seems unlikely that my vision is perfect in all of them if each was adjusted by someone else.
06-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm. I have a reading prescription of +1.75 and have no need to adjust the dioptre setting.
What camera are you able to do that with?

I can see the image in the viewfinder in focus with no optical aids and no dioptre adjustment. I certainly cannot read a book a few inches away from my face.
OK...here is the long answer.

The diopter for the ME Super eyepiece is -1.0, meaning that the image on the focus screen appears to be about 1 meter away. The Pentax Correction Lens Adapter M (its the ME Super and all Pentax SLRs from M-series to present day). This little device is designed to slip onto the outside of the viewfinder frame and comes in a variety of strengths, both positive and negative. In general, the strength should be the same as one's eyeglass prescription and for presbyopia, the strength required to see clearly for near vision or maybe a little less. Most literature on the subject suggests asking one's optometrist. My reading prescription is about +1.5 and I use a +1 correction adapter on my Super Program (-1.1 diopter) to allow easy focus the image 1.1 meter away.

Again, one's eye doctor is the best resource if you want to be sure.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-19-2018 at 02:18 PM.
06-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
OK...here is the long answer.

The diopter for the ME Super eyepiece is -1.0, meaning that the image on the focus screen appears to be about 1 meter away. The Pentax Correction Lens Adapter M (its the ME Super and all Pentax SLRs from M-series to present day). This little device is designed to slip onto the outside of the viewfinder frame and comes in a variety of strengths, both positive and negative. In general, the strength should be the same as one's eyeglass prescription and for presbyopia, the strength required to see clearly for near vision or maybe a little less. Most literature on the subject suggests asking one's optometrist. My reading prescription is about +1.5 and I use a +1 correction adapter on my Super Program (-1.1 diopter) to allow easy focus the image 1.1 meter away.

Again, one's eye doctor is the best resource if you want to be sure.

Steve
Having the effective focus distance at 1 metre makes sense. I suppose most people can focus at that distance with their distance prescription since it is further than arms length

06-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #15

Original Poster
Well that's a lot clearer <Ho-Ho>.

Seeing my optician soon so will ask him too (need specs for reading and driving these days). I'll be too feeble to hold a camera at this rate :-)