Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2018, 10:17 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All's well what ends well - have fun with LX

01-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I have an LX too, and recently got it out of storage (haven't used it in years). The shutter works perfectly at speeds from the "X" mark on the dial, and above. I didn't have batteries to try it so is this perhaps the reason it doesn't fire at lower speeds or on the Automatic setting? The shutter remains open until I select a speed faster than X or above. Many thanks.
01-12-2019, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
I have an LX too, and recently got it out of storage (haven't used it in years). The shutter works perfectly at speeds from the "X" mark on the dial, and above. I didn't have batteries to try it so is this perhaps the reason it doesn't fire at lower speeds or on the Automatic setting? The shutter remains open until I select a speed faster than X or above. Many thanks.
That's correct, it requires batteries to operate on aperture mode or speeds under sync (X). Of course the B (bulb) setting is also mechanical and doesn't require batteries to operate.
01-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
That's correct, it requires batteries to operate on aperture mode or speeds under sync (X). Of course the B (bulb) setting is also mechanical and doesn't require batteries to operate.
Well that was quick! Many thanks indeed Les.

01-12-2019, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
Well that was quick! Many thanks indeed Les.
You're welcome.
BTW, a good clean copy of the LX manual can be found at http://www.lensinc.net/manuals/Pentax_LXL.pdf
01-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
You're welcome.
BTW, a good clean copy of the LX manual can be found at http://www.lensinc.net/manuals/Pentax_LXL.pdf
Excellent! Thank you.
07-11-2021, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcs0001 Quote
Pentageek and TwoUptons - you are genius's. I had looked at the membrane/boot and was concerned about it's placement but it seemed to be the "bottom" of the compartment. Took another look tonight and it came out revealing the contacts. Turns out the membrane is supposed to be in the screw on battery cap and fell into the compartment when the camera wasn't with batteries.

Shown with the membrane removed.

Membrane/boot on left and screw on cap on the right.

Thank you very much for your help. The light meter and everything else appears to function now. I will check it out further and then run a roll of film through it.
Whoever posted this I I want to thank you, I just got a LX that I thought was dead and it actually works, I had the same issue, the plastic piece fell to the bottom. I have a working LX now, my dream film camera.

11-20-2021, 11:01 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Whoever posted this I I want to thank you, I just got a LX that I thought was dead and it actually works, I had the same issue, the plastic piece fell to the bottom. I have a working LX now, my dream film camera.
And another one here! Thanks again to jcs0001 for posting those pictures as it solved my problem too