Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2018, 01:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Film Camera Reviews

This may well be in the wrong section but..........

From browsing through the film camera threads it seems that many of us have film cameras from many makers and in many formats plus of course the odd Pentax or two or maybe more.

I was wondering if there would be any interest or even space for members to write their reviews of their off brand film cameras so others might know the good and bad points.

As there are only a very few film cameras now made and most that we use are quite old and maybe even in the antique category I would not think it would impinge on the Pentax brand.

Yes I know there are many reviews scattered over the net but I thought it would be nice to have them in one location.

CD

06-27-2018, 02:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would like to read some Nikon F100, F5, F6, Canon 1V reviews from pentax users too!
06-27-2018, 03:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Like many here, I use non-Pentax gear along with Pentax. As much as reviews of that gear could interest me, I don't think that a Pentax site is the right place for it. I believe PentaxForums has a sister Canon site, so Canon reviews could go in there.

Maybe an exception could be made for non-Pentax K-mount or M42-mount film cameras, as many of them will be used with Pentax lenses.
06-27-2018, 03:39 AM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here might be a good place to generate some interest: Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. - PentaxForums.com

06-27-2018, 05:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The Nikon forums and Canon forums does not have a similar camera database. The nikon forums has one, but only one film slr listed, it's incomplete.

I would like to read comparisation reviews too, ergonomics are much harder to compare then just spec sheets.
06-27-2018, 05:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

At the very least, it seems like Ricoh should get its due with its film cameras.

As far as other K-mount cameras, there's Cosina, Chinon, Vivitar, and Phoenix, off the top of my head.
06-27-2018, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was thinking a little bit more outside the Pentax Box, like 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, 6x4.5, Large Format, rangefinders, TLR's, folding cameras and the like as well as those that use K and m42 lenses, yes I do know that Pentax have nice, but expensive, 6x7 and 6x4.5 film cameras the lenses for which have gone up in price lately possibly due to their current 6x4.5 digital models.

06-27-2018, 06:22 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quick comments on two other-brand cameras I have owned.

1) Canon EF, felt like a brick = heavy, solid. Did not like the aperture-priority auto-exposure system; meter quit the first time the camera got a bump; excellent viewfinder. The PC socket was located at the upper left end of the body, unusual position, and was covered by a spring-return rotating metal cover, a convenient system I've not seen on other cameras.

2) Nikon FA with winder. Like the Canon, heavy and solid-feeling compared to the Pentax bodies I was accustomed to using. The winder worked better than the one on my LX, and the grip it provided was appreciated because the camera + winder was way too heavy. Great finder, reliable exposure, faster flash sync speed than any Pentax available at the time (the LX was dismal in this regard). The electrical contact for the winder's wired-remote became unreliable, but so did the similar contacts of the LX winder.

I bought the Canon to be able to use a Canon 24mm TSS, and that is still the benchmark lens of it's kind in my mind. Good system for adjusting both tilt and shift, excellent IQ. The camera's meter could not be trusted when this lens was used as either shifting or tilting the lens meant the incoming light did not strike the meter properly. The lens came with instructions pointing out this problem and advocating using a hand-meld meter, which i had and did use (a Sekonic, cannot remember the model)

I bought the Nikon to get a combination of high sync speed for flash (delivered in spades) and a superior really long lens = Nikon 500mm f4, used in combination with a 2X Nikon teleconverter = an excellent combination, 100% satisfactory IQ, about the best super-long tele system I've ever used.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-27-2018 at 06:31 AM.
06-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I believe this idea was formally suggested a few months back and was being mulled over by higher powers.

Steve
06-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do Nikon and Canon still make cameras? I thought they were DOOOOOMED!!!11!

I was thinking about it the other day and realized I've never owned either a Minolta or a Canon. My wife has one of each, and I've used them, but I've never been pulled in that direction.

Would be fun to read some reviews, though...

-Eric
06-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Pentax MZ-S and K1000 are nice and small. But I put more rolls of film thru my EOS 3 and EOS 1v. I am sparse on lenses - only use the Tamron 35 1.8 and the Canon 85 1.8. The gigagntic zooms are all gone. The 3 is light with a shutter that scares anyone who has never heard it. The 1v is solid and I could probably use it to pound nails. They are battery hogs. I use rechargeable batteries from a company I cannot pronounce and the battery grips so I can use rechargeable AAs.
06-28-2018, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
From browsing through the film camera threads it seems that many of us have film cameras from many makers and in many formats plus of course the odd Pentax or two or maybe more.
The immersion has been a lot of fun . . .

Gives you a better appreciation of what Pentax has provided!
06-28-2018, 05:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a book I like:

McBroom's Camera Bluebook: A Complete Up-To-Date Price & Buyer's Guide to Cameras, Lenses, & Accesories by Michael McBroom

It was compiled near the end of the film camera era and gives specs and brief reviews of many popular models.

Chris
06-28-2018, 09:08 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Here's a book I like:

McBroom's Camera Bluebook: A Complete Up-To-Date Price & Buyer's Guide to Cameras, Lenses, & Accesories by Michael McBroom

It was compiled near the end of the film camera era and gives specs and brief reviews of many popular models.

Chris
Cool!

Steve
06-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

For my part, I'd be interested in contributing as well as perusing if the powers-that-be decide it's worthwhile as @Stevebrot mentioned. I think that it is.
I was in fact considering this just a few days back - the PF review section is a phenomenal resource for Pentax related photo equipement and lenses of every sort. Nothing really exists (that I am aware of) with as much width and breadth for any other maker. Information is pretty disparate for film equipement especially. I've wished that such a well of knowledge/opinion was around for, in particular, Konica cameras insofar as I'm concerned lately. It'd take quite a while to reach anything approaching the scale of the Pentax reviews section, but it'd certainly be valuable in general, if not necessarily at PF.

---------- Post added 06-30-18 at 03:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Here's a book I like:

Chris
Very cool indeed, though it can't take into account what an ongoing and living, web-located review section can... namely how each piece of equipment ages and values/devalues over extended time, and is limited in scope from the onset (even one so all-encompassing as that!).