Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2018, 04:08 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Some Early Spotmatic Indulgence

So, I was looking on some unimportant auction site and saw this... it was a 'buy it now' for $25 with ever-ready case and strap and free shipping. I figured might as well if just for the case (which is very nice) and take a chance on the camera. It's quite early and in very fine shape... no scuffed paint and no dings/dents. Looks barely used. Only issue is the meter (of course) doesn't function... seems to be stuck at the center with or without battery... and the seals/mirror bumper are shot. I believe it is a good candidate for a short vacation to Tennessee to visit Eric. ASA is 10-800. This one has no part number on the base plate. Wish I could get a good photo of the focusing screen, as it's pretty funky. Just wanted to brag a little about this thing and to show some pics of some of the differences in the early model Spotmatics. Enjoy!!

Attached Images

07-15-2018, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
nice one, looks pristine, bargain
07-15-2018, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice find. I recently purchased a very nice SP and was lucky enough to have a working meter. As soon as I find a battery cover, my Other Spotmatic will see its way to the shop to get its light meter fixed.
07-15-2018, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice. Mine's a 113xxxx, and a Honeywell...It came with a very late serial # 8-element 50/1.4 though...

07-15-2018, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driftwood Quote
So, I was looking on some unimportant auction site and saw this... it was a 'buy it now' for $25 with ever-ready case and strap and free shipping. I figured might as well if just for the case (which is very nice) and take a chance on the camera. It's quite early and in very fine shape... no scuffed paint and no dings/dents. Looks barely used. Only issue is the meter (of course) doesn't function... seems to be stuck at the center with or without battery... and the seals/mirror bumper are shot. I believe it is a good candidate for a short vacation to Tennessee to visit Eric. ASA is 10-800. This one has no part number on the base plate. Wish I could get a good photo of the focusing screen, as it's pretty funky. Just wanted to brag a little about this thing and to show some pics of some of the differences in the early model Spotmatics. Enjoy!!
Very cool find, very cool indeed! The big tip-offs are the meter switch, end screw position and exposure counter bezel.

Steve
07-15-2018, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a model 231 Spotmatic. Most Spotmatics you find are model 23102. The meter needle on the model 231 is in the center when off. The meter switch is narrow, the frame counter is taller and there is the screw on the side of the top cover.
07-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
That is a model 231 Spotmatic. Most Spotmatics you find are model 23102. The meter needle on the model 231 is in the center when off. The meter switch is narrow, the frame counter is taller and there is the screw on the side of the top cover.
Oh, that's good to know about the meter needle... although I did put a battery in and it didn't move. Maybe I'll take a closer look at the contacts and such.

---------- Post added 07-15-18 at 05:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Very cool find, very cool indeed! The big tip-offs are the meter switch, end screw position and exposure counter bezel.

Steve
Thanks! Yeah, I was very happy to find such an early example in such fine shape.

---------- Post added 07-15-18 at 05:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Do you happen to know why it has no part number stamped on it? Is that unusual?

---------- Post added 07-15-18 at 05:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Nice. Mine's a 113xxxx, and a Honeywell...It came with a very late serial # 8-element 50/1.4 though...
Nice! I wasn't THAT lucky!

07-15-2018, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations - nice find!
07-16-2018, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Really nice find, looks like it's in fantastic shape! Congrats!
07-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have two spotmatic sps, neither of which I had CLA'd (I only got the 2nd because a strap lug wore through on the first). Apart from occasional light leaks, very reliable shooters.
07-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
Really nice find, looks like it's in fantastic shape! Congrats!
Thanks!!

---------- Post added 07-16-18 at 11:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I have two spotmatic sps, neither of which I had CLA'd (I only got the 2nd because a strap lug wore through on the first). Apart from occasional light leaks, very reliable shooters.
Yeah, They almost always function well... except for the light meters and deteriorating seals. I do like to have the meters repaired when I can, because then they should be good for many years... and people with the know-how to do that work are becoming scarce these days.
07-16-2018, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #12

Thanks!!

---------- Post added 07-16-18 at 11:51 AM ----------

Yeah, They almost always function well... except for the light meters and deteriorating seals. I do like to have the meters repaired when I can, because then they should be good for many years... and people with the know-how to do that work are becoming scarce these days.
That is a really clean specimen. Hard to pass up.

John.
07-25-2018, 05:44 AM   #13

I discourage you from sending your SP to Eric. He just destroyed my SPF and charged me $121. Light-meter was working before (perfectly!), after Eric's "repair" it does not and nobody in my country can repair it after him. (Eric simply told me that the battery was dead. Not only he damaged the meter, he also didn't bother to check it with another battery to find out it's not working!) He also "adjusted" the shutter speeds in a way that they are all faster – and everything is underexposed. I know what I am talking about, I am shooting several Pentax film cameras, always the same exposure method, film and development process, so I can compare it. It has become an unusable camera for me. Also Eric's communication was totally, totally unprofessional. From my experience, it is the worst "repairman" ever!
07-26-2018, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

ASA is 10-800.
Back in the day when 10 ASA film was a common thing. My God. 1/8 at f/16 in bright sunlight. f/5.6 in bright sun just to be able to hand-hold it.
07-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jan.smely Quote
I discourage you from sending your SP to Eric. He just destroyed my SPF and charged me $121. Light-meter was working before (perfectly!), after Eric's "repair" it does not and nobody in my country can repair it after him. (Eric simply told me that the battery was dead. Not only he damaged the meter, he also didn't bother to check it with another battery to find out it's not working!) He also "adjusted" the shutter speeds in a way that they are all faster – and everything is underexposed. I know what I am talking about, I am shooting several Pentax film cameras, always the same exposure method, film and development process, so I can compare it. It has become an unusable camera for me. Also Eric's communication was totally, totally unprofessional. From my experience, it is the worst "repairman" ever!
I'm sorry to hear that your experience with Eric was ungood... though, it would seem it is a rare thing concerning his work. He should warranty the work he does, as he is a long enduring professional... have you talked with him about re-repairing your camera? I have already sent him four cameras for repair and have had stellar service each time... the several cameras have come back to me in good time and in spectacular condition and for a very fair price. I will send him the above camera, as I don't have anything really invested in it anyway and the repair is simple (done on all of the other cameras I've sent him) and I trust his work completely. Again, sorry you had a bad experience.

---------- Post added 07-26-18 at 02:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Back in the day when 10 ASA film was a common thing. My God. 1/8 at f/16 in bright sunlight. f/5.6 in bright sun just to be able to hand-hold it.
Yeah, crazy... and I thought 100 ASA was glacial.