Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
Mine used to have an issue where the shutter would stay open even on bright sunny days which happened most often when I had the winder or motor drive turned on. Many times the only way to get it to close would be to turn the winder or motor drive off or remove them completely. It used to happen less frequently when I just used a bare camera. It seemed to have started not long after I had the battery cells replaced in the LX power battery pack so I haven't used the motor drive since Eric replaced the board just in case.
He was unable to replace the board in mine. Strange your symptom is like mine with the particulars reversed. My shutter, when this happens, also remains open regardless of meter reading. The way to shut it is to move the shutter speed to any manual speed (usually 1/2000), then it closes and will carry normally. It happens probably every 10-20 frames on average when using the camera by itself. With the winder attached and on it happens at least half as frequently, probably less. So very odd.

07-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is peculiar that it's almost the exact opposite. In addition to turning off or removing the winder to get the shutter to close I also had luck at times with switching to a manual shutter speed (1/2000). Very odd, and mine would happen about every 4-5 frames with the winder on and it probably only happened once or twice with a bare camera.
07-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wounder if Eric can still do a regular CLA or fix a sticky mirror on a LX? I would assume that's mostly labor costs and some foam/seals, which should be readily available.

I sent Eric a Super A and he indicated he could do a CLA but not fix anything to do with it's electronics, as parts were not available.

Phil.
07-19-2018, 11:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My LX had a CLA a few years back and is fine (fingers crossed). Hopefully it will stay that way for a while as it is by far my favourite camera.

08-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #20

Original Poster
As I mentioned previously I sent in the lx to Computech Camera Repair in Winnipeg about a month ago. They were prompt to give me an estimate (which I accepted) and it is now on the way home. I hope to have it this week and will put a film through it once it is here.

I will let everyone know how it works out but so far I am impressed with the communication and service provided.

John.
08-21-2018, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Is there any possibility, just by chance, to reverse-engineer those circuit boards and copy them, ie produce new ones in small amounts? I have no clue about eletronics, so this is just guessing. Obviously, costs could / would be a factor. As long as no fancy ICs are involved, this should be possible in theory? It came to my mind because I read recently about some Amiga Computer fans which are doing this for replacement motherboards.
11-16-2018, 09:08 AM   #22

Original Poster
pentax lx (yet again)

As mentioned I sent my lx in for repair a while back. The repair place was Computech Camera Repair, in Winnipeg Man. (Canada).

They were prompt with the repair and in sending it back. I have just got a the first film processed and it turned out very well. Everything works well and the results are quite satisfying. Note that the light meter was working so they did not need to repair that.

I have no financial stake in the company - just a satisfied customer.

John.

11-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcs0001 Quote
As mentioned I sent my lx in for repair a while back. The repair place was Computech Camera Repair, in Winnipeg Man. (Canada).

They were prompt with the repair and in sending it back. I have just got a the first film processed and it turned out very well. Everything works well and the results are quite satisfying. Note that the light meter was working so they did not need to repair that.

I have no financial stake in the company - just a satisfied customer.

John.
Good to know, I have a MEF that I will be sending them soon. Way cheaper postage to Manitoba than sending it to Eric in Tennessee and with no customs issues.

Thanks, Phil.
11-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The repair for just the mirror being out is quite simple and only takes a few minutes for a skilled repair man. I have a repair man 2 miles from my home that did a CLA on my LX. A few months later, my 9 year old got ahold of it, and “somehow” the mirror was off and it would be out of focus on near objects. I took it to him and he had it done in 10 minutes. He told me at the time it is adjustable on the LX, and while it’s easy to adjust, it’s also relatively easy to knock out of adjustment.

I didn’t ask how to do it as he is readily accessible to me and worth whatever he is going to charge.
11-16-2018, 11:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Try Advance Camera in Portland, Oregon (503) 292-6996 I've no idea if they can help but they do have a Pentax tech on staff who has done work for me.

Advance Camera Repair
+1 for Advance Camera. I got my LX back and they did a fantastic job on that.