Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #1

Looking for a film 35mm SLR body to use with my pentax AF lenses

Hi Everyone, I've been using a lot this forum to learn, but actually this is my first thread.
I have a Pentax DSLR with two AF lenses. Both incredibles, the Pentax 15-30 and Tamron telezoom 70-200. I want to buy a film camera to be able to use this two lenses with 35mm film.
There is some SLR body that allows me to select aperture from the body (any of the lenses have a ring) and also autofocus?
Is it possible?
Thanks!

07-16-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PZ-1/PZ-1p/Z-1/Z-1p are the easiest but the MZ-S is loved by a number of people. On the MZ-1 the aperture control is kind of backed into - there is a version of Av mode using the lens aperture ring but no camera controlled aperture in Av mode. You can use Tv mode or other modes to "back into aperture" using the lens in the A position (or a lens without a ring) but this could be too much trouble for some people to deal with. The PZ and Z series are the same just named differently. The -p version is slightly more advanced. I have a PZ-1 I have owned since it was new and I love that camera - but it's single point AF and large and plastic. The MZ-S offers magnesium construction and a battery grip available that takes AA batteries which could tip the scale for some people.

The MZ-S is also pricey by comparison to the PZ-1.
07-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This should help: Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
07-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes, the Z-1 or PZ-1 is what I'd look at. These allow you to select the aperture using edials. Other bodies in that series may also work.

Focusing will be manual with DC/SDM lenses, but the Tamron should work fine in AF mode.

07-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Adam, UncleVanya. I've been investigating inside the Pentax Autofocus Film Camera Guide, but i couldn't find which ones allow me to control the aperture from the body. Here in argentina is not easy to find a Pz-1 body.. I can find a lot of mz- (50, 60, also some mz-3) and Z-10 and ZX-50. Some of those maybe? Or just wait to find an advance Z- model?
07-16-2018, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Lob0 Quote
Thanks Adam, UncleVanya. I've been investigating inside the Pentax Autofocus Film Camera Guide, but i couldn't find which ones allow me to control the aperture from the body. Here in argentina is not easy to find a Pz-1 body.. I can find a lot of mz- (50, 60, also some mz-3) and Z-10 and ZX-50. Some of those maybe? Or just wait to find an advance Z- model?
According to our compatibility table (The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart), the following is an exhaustive list of film bodies with an electronic Av mode:

*ist
MZ/ZX- 60, 50, 30, 7, 6, L
Z/PZ- 50, 50p, 20, 1, 1p

It seems the MZ-60 is a popular choice for DA/DFA lenses, so maybe you should get that one?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2018, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
PZ-1/PZ-1p/Z-1/Z-1p are the easiest but the MZ-S is loved by a number of people.
IIRC, the MZ-S requires the aperture ring to directly set the aperture for Av and M modes and is not a good match for lenses without aperture rings.

Steve

07-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
IIRC, the MZ-S requires the aperture ring to directly set the aperture for Av and M modes and is not a good match for lenses without aperture rings.

Steve
Steve that's what I attempted to say. Thanks for succinctly clarifying.
07-16-2018, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have two af film bodies, a pz1p and a zx-l, and I'm happy with both. You can set aperture from the camera or from the lens. The pz1p wins for me because of the better controls and viewfinder, but it's usually twice the price used and uses more expensive batteries. If you order from Japan, the z5 is also an option similar to the z1 versions, not sure where else it would be available.
07-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This question gets asked about once a year, and it's a good question to ask. I made a complete list several years ago for others to refer to. Here's the link: aperture controlling bodies? - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Edit: There are other Pentax bodies which work with automatic apertures, but the list linked above specifically includes cameras allowing you to make adjustments to the aperture. This is in contrast to cameras like the Super Program, which has electrical contacts to actuate an automatic-aperture lens, but doesn't allow the user to directly change the aperture.
07-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
This question gets asked about once a year, and it's a good question to ask. I made a complete list several years ago for others to refer to. Here's the link: aperture controlling bodies? - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Edit: There are other Pentax bodies which work with automatic apertures, but the list linked above specifically includes cameras allowing you to make adjustments to the aperture. This is in contrast to cameras like the Super Program, which has electrical contacts to actuate an automatic-aperture lens, but doesn't allow the user to directly change the aperture.
Great! Thanks! Well. I'm glad i'm the first one this year!
By the way, all of this bodies allows me to use autofocus with my tamron 70-200, but non of those with the pentax 15-30. It's that correct?
07-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Lob0 Quote
By the way, all of this bodies allows me to use autofocus with my tamron 70-200, but non of those with the pentax 15-30. It's that correct?
Correct- there are no Pentax film SLRs that support in-lens focusing (SDM/DC).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can't get a Z/PZ-1 at a reasonable price (on German eBay, they are offered at crazy high prices). try to find a Z/PZ-20.
It is a bit smaller and lighter than the PZ-1, and I was very happy with it.

Besides stop down for DOF control (not much use with the focus screens of AF cameras anyway), and 100% power zoom support, .it offers most of the functionality of the Z/PZ-1. There may be not as many offers of this model, compared with the Z-1, but it usually is much cheaper.

EDIT
About the SDM-AF problem:
SDM support of Pentax DSLRs also started only with the K-10D (with the latest firmware), and the K200D. Earlier Pentax models don't support it. So, unfortunately, I cannot use my Sigma 18-125 with my *istDS.

Last edited by RKKS08; 07-18-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Info added
07-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
According to our compatibility table (The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart), the following is an exhaustive list of film bodies with an electronic Av mode:

*ist
MZ/ZX- 60, 50, 30, 7, 6, L
Z/PZ- 50, 50p, 20, 1, 1p

It seems the MZ-60 is a popular choice for DA/DFA lenses, so maybe you should get that one?

Thanks for the link to the compatibility table. Great resource.