Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
But E-6 processing is pretty rare these days. Unless you live in a a major city, chances are it would need to be mailed out.
Yep, doing my own darkroom work, I forget this. I guess ordering from Freestyle is my equivalent of mailing it out.

07-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SO, people are always talking about taking one lens out for a month and working solely with "the look" and parameters defined by that lens. I'm not seeing how working with one set of PP parameters is any different.

You could run "single for the month" with different cartridges.
07-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Next stop - digi-cassette tapes, fairly simple - connect the "cassette" to your computer via usb, transfer strictly 90 minutes of music onto it, put the tape into the player and enjoy your music!
I saw something similar to this in the toy section of Target. It was a digital recorder that looked like a tape deck that uses fake tapes.
07-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
I saw something similar to this in the toy section of Target. It was a digital recorder that looked like a tape deck that uses fake tapes.
I'm behind the "stoooopid" timeline

07-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Faux film is here
I actually think this a pretty cool and fun they've done here, I did check it's not 1st April mind before I posted this.

Numptyism... comes thick and fast to the old Kerrowdown these days.
07-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw this months ago on another photo forum, but haven't heard a peep since.
I'm not sure the associated Kickstarter campaign ever got off the ground.
I suspect we weren't the only ones groaning "Oh no, not this again"...

Chris
07-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redbirdpete Quote
Their business. Now if someone would invent a digital recording media that could be inserted like a 35mm roll film THAT would be worth while!
There have been a few projects in that vein in kickstarter, but nothing with enough appeal and quality.

07-25-2018, 05:36 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Lets say they'd re-launch the Minister D for a short time, would it sell more than this thing?
07-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a higher quality alternative with more or less the same idea:

Details // Leica M-D // Leica M-System // Photography - Leica Camera AG

Only real difference is the ISO is changed with a dial rather than a 'film' canister. Oh...and the price.
07-26-2018, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Oh...and the price.
Yep, how much film you could buy for the cost of this camera? Probably a few years worth..........

Phil.
07-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a higher quality alternative with more or less the same idea:

Details // Leica M-D // Leica M-System // Photography - Leica Camera AG

Only real difference is the ISO is changed with a dial rather than a 'film' canister. Oh...and the price.
To be fair there is more than just ISO involved in changing the "film" in the Yashica. It is changing the overall JPG processing including color vs. B&W etc. It is a set of predefined choices. A simple dial would have worked BUT this method does offer them the option of creating new profiles (ongoing sales) to expand the options.
07-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
To be fair there is more than just ISO involved in changing the "film" in the Yashica.
That's true...and like I said earlier, I quite like the idea of the (so-called) Yashica. If it had limited image storage and it was actually stored on the film, it would do a great job of being 'filmish' without the hassle of film.

But, the way it is (proposed) at the moment, it's more-or-less a digital camera with no screen (I like that bit) but where you pay extra to change settings (I don't like that bit so much). The only difference with the Leica is that you pay upfront for the ability to change the settings yourself. Oh, and it's a Leica.

At that price it's either the Leica or a new kitchen, mind you...
07-26-2018, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's true...and like I said earlier, I quite like the idea of the (so-called) Yashica. If it had limited image storage and it was actually stored on the film, it would do a great job of being 'filmish' without the hassle of film.

But, the way it is (proposed) at the moment, it's more-or-less a digital camera with no screen (I like that bit) but where you pay extra to change settings (I don't like that bit so much). The only difference with the Leica is that you pay upfront for the ability to change the settings yourself. Oh, and it's a Leica.

At that price it's either the Leica or a new kitchen, mind you...
Right but my point is that you can't add new dial points on the Lecia. Yashica can add as many new "films" as they want. The externalization is a nice model in that respect. Of course a SCN mode and firmware can probably make the same impact but you'd have to charge for new SCENE mode presets and have a firmware that allowed adding new ones if you wanted the same marketing potential.
07-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is still a thing?
07-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
you'd have to charge for new SCENE mode presets and have a firmware that allowed adding new ones if you wanted the same marketing potential.
Not so much if you're charging $6k for the body! Their lenses then add the future revenue.

It's clearly not a serious alternative, not just price-wise. But I thought it was funny that they came out with a similar philosophy at a similar time.
And also put it into production, which I doubt we'd ever see from the Yashica.