Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2018, 11:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i have k1000 and KX .. and still using it for last two years

07-30-2018, 12:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I had an MZ-5, an MZ-5n and the PZ-1p. I still use the PZ-1p regularly.

The PZ-1p has a DSLR like interface, 1/250s sync speed and 1/8000 max shutter speed. You can use Hyper Program and Hyper manual modes like on the Pentax DSLRs and it can use lenses without aperture ring. It also works with power zooms. (But not with in lens AF motors nor the new KAF4 mount electronic apertures.)
The mechanical optical preview (stop down) button a little akward with the on body aperture setting.
The PZ-1p has a much faster AF then the K10D (my opinion), but only with one center point.

The MZ-S has "exif" imprint on the filmand P-TTL support which I miss from the PZ-1p. (It only works out of manual flash mode only with the old TTL flashes.) The MZ-S has 6 AF points vs the 1 in the PZ-1p. On the other side, the MZ-S has only 1/180s sync and only 1/6000s max shutter speed and does not work with lenses without aperture ring.

For slowing down and get that film feeling a full manual film SLR may be better then these workhorses.

Also take a look at the 645NII (has similar specs as the PZ-1p with a completely different shutter) and the 67II if you are going for the best image quality and the full frame format is not that important. Those cameras are in a different class both in IQ and weight. They work the best with a tripod.
07-30-2018, 02:47 AM   #18
Forum Member

Surely it must depend on personal issues? The LX is widely agreed to be the best non-AF Pentax, but I could never have afforded one. I had a KX (it was stolen) and liked it but not enough to replace it. I have a PZ-1p and like it but when it breaks it will be junk, not repairable. On the other hand my K1000 and SV will likely be working in 50 years time if anyone still has the knowhow to give them a CLA and you can still buy film. My (quirky) personal favourite is my ME-F, but that has just been declared unrepairable as well.
07-30-2018, 05:15 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Impossible to answer. I think you will get as many answers as there are people on the forum. It is all about you, your needs and preferences. My list would look like this, all manual focus since I never have tried autofocus film cameras. went directly from LX to *istDS.

1) LX
2) MX
3) KX
4) K2DMD

For design and mechanical pleasure:
1) Black version of K.

07-30-2018, 06:52 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
The MZ-S has "exif" imprint on the filmand P-TTL support which I miss from the PZ-1p. (It only works out of manual flash mode only with the old TTL flashes.) The MZ-S has 6 AF points vs the 1 in the PZ-1p. On the other side, the MZ-S has only 1/180s sync and only 1/6000s max shutter speed and does not work with lenses without aperture ring.
The MZ-S does work with lenses lacking an aperture ring, but they only work in program mode.
07-30-2018, 10:01 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If we are talking about which is the best "technically", then it's the LX.

But if I had to pick what I think is the best overall, considering reliability and features, for me it would be the KX.

Phil.
07-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
Don't know about best but I can tell you my favorite film camera.
Super Program.

Clarence

Had to throw in a couple photos of her
How beautiful !!!
:-O

---------- Post added 07-30-18 at 10:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
K1000 Very Well Made, Dependable, and versatile. I used them for Commercial work back in the 80's including Aerial photography with Ektar 125. I kept the 4 loaded with different types of Film. I used the K1000 quite a bit for Multiple Exposurers on slide film for slide show presentations.
They were all sold 3 years ago and I hope still functioning today .
Wowwwww !!!

07-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the film days I had a ME Super, Super A, LX and a MX. I sold them all to buy a digital DSLR. Now I have another LX and at the moment a ME Super, which I use together with my digital cameras. This story tells you which film camera I prefer.
07-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote
Well, I guess this answer is fairly easy for me by virtue of the film cameras I kept after going digital. They are the LX, K2, and 6x7. And what I love about the 6x7 is that with a converter that I have, I can use my 6x7 lenses on any SLR I have film or digital, APS-C or full frame. No other camera company can say that from entirely within its own system.
Don't forget the Q to K mount adapter! The really impressive bit is 6x7 lenses working with full auto aperture (and Av) on the 645 - especially given they couldn't then offer that on their native mount. Later 6x7 lenses (with the adapter) are very good on the 645D/Z 20 years later.
07-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #25
Forum Member

Easy... Spotmatic, of course. It's the best.
07-30-2018, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I like the MX allot and have owned many, and I loved the LX but couldn't justify the expense in the day, I would still pick the KX overall. It's a rugged beast. I've had a KX and a K2 for 25+ years and I'm still using them.
07-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
The MZ-S does work with lenses lacking an aperture ring, but they only work in program mode.
Or in shutter priority mode.
07-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My three favourites in no particular order are all manual focus with varying capabilities to suit my needs.
SV
ME
LX
If I had to choose one, it would be the Asahi Pentax SV
07-30-2018, 10:32 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grux Quote
If I had to choose one, it would be the Asahi Pentax SV
So why would you choose the SV?
07-31-2018, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
So why would you choose the SV?
for several reasons - pure mechanical joy, m42 lens selection, no battery, to hone my skills using light with no meter, and I just love the look, design and craftmanship of this camera.