Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Potential PZ-1p pitfalls?

I took a chance and bid on a PZ-1p from an eBay seller with low feedback. It arrived today and I put a roll of film through it. So far, so good -- AF works, metering and shutter speed seem reasonable, control wheels function as expected, etc.

All my previous film experience is with pretty basic film SLRs, mostly the Spotmatic F and K1000, which have a relatively small feature set. This has a lot more bells and whistles, so is there anything in particular I should be sure to check out and make sure it's working?

If something's wrong, but I decide to keep it anyway, who's the go-to person for CLA/repair? I don't think Eric handles AF cameras for the most part.

08-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Function wise, PZ-1p doesn't have any pitfalls I'm aware of. I have one since 2000 and it still works as it should. The camera outlives its eye cup. the eye cup on mine starts to harden and deteriorate a little but camera is still as good as new. I doubt anyone would repair PZ-1p now.
08-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It’s hit or miss with repair if needed with any AF camera these days. I have a local guy that will, provided he can get parts, new or loaner. But he’s retiring soon.

As far as pitfalls, the eyecup as previously mentioned, is the only one I’ve heard of. But that’s an issue with any of the older cameras.
08-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe there might be a somewhat common case where the battery door can get broken?

08-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I believe there might be a somewhat common case where the battery door can get broken?
Yeah, I'd heard something about that. No problems with this one, though.
08-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

A Great camera that has the controls right where you need them, mine is still going strong. Enjoy what to me was a camera that sat very well in my hands
08-06-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have two but haven't had the bad luck with the rubber eye cups mentioned. My primary PZ-1p has incurred a crack in the bottom plastic frame and I found a replacement piece in the UK but that was some years back. On that same camera, the pop-up flash spring hook broke off so the flash has to be raised manually. Also the lighting mechanism for the top LCD panel has failed (the LCD is still quite usable but only in the daytime). I don't know if these are particularly weak points of the PZ-1p, but these are issues that surfaced in my camera after quite a few years of service.

Performance wise, these camera have been excellent performers with great features. Exposure has been spot-on in almost all cases and they feature a high shutter speed of 1/4000 sec.

08-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. It sounds like I'm in the clear if the roll I put through it comes back OK.
08-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The mirror fell off on mine, sent it to Eric he couldn't fix it
08-06-2018, 10:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I have two but haven't had the bad luck with the rubber eye cups mentioned. My primary PZ-1p has incurred a crack in the bottom plastic frame and I found a replacement piece in the UK but that was some years back. On that same camera, the pop-up flash spring hook broke off so the flash has to be raised manually. Also the lighting mechanism for the top LCD panel has failed (the LCD is still quite usable but only in the daytime). I don't know if these are particularly weak points of the PZ-1p, but these are issues that surfaced in my camera after quite a few years of service.

Performance wise, these camera have been excellent performers with great features. Exposure has been spot-on in almost all cases and they feature a high shutter speed of 1/4000 sec.
A friend of mine had one with a crack on the bottom and the pop-up flash issue like yours. He said it was a common issue on both parts, but didn’t seem to affect function. I hadn’t heard of an LCD issue (beyond any manufacturer).
08-07-2018, 06:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
A Great camera that has the controls right where you need them, mine is still going strong. Enjoy what to me was a camera that sat very well in my hands
I might add that battery availability is not the best, depending upon where you live and shop. I found that the accessory hand grip was a great addition.
08-07-2018, 06:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
I might add that battery availability is not the best, depending upon where you live and shop. I found that the accessory hand grip was a great addition.
You mean the 2CR5? It's not common in stores that carry batteries in addition to everything else, but it should be fairly common in camera shops, and online.
08-07-2018, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
.Performance wise, these camera have been excellent performers with great features. Exposure has been spot-on in almost all cases and they feature a high shutter speed of 1/4000 sec.
That should be 1/8000th (and a flash sync of 1/250th). Mine has cracked by the battery door with age but without rough handling (I have a dead Z-1 to replace the baseplate if I need to). The dead one must have broken somehow (no idea what's wrong - doesn't power up) and years ago I had to return another due to frame overlapping. Otherwise I've had no problems with the body. The FA Power Zoom lenses have an 'A/S' switch which usually breaks but only affects the more advanced PZ functions. On the Z-1p, I would be wary of the panoramic masks failing and obscuring the film gate - so I'd leave them alone.

The Gripstrap (IIRC FD(p)?) adds extra height to the camera, useful if you have larger hands and protects the battery door to some degree.

Biggest drawback is the lack of an AA battery solution, the 2CR5s are a lot cheaper than they were back in the day (£20 each then), but frequent use of the PZ functions drains them quickly.

Some independent K, KA lenses may not fit the mount because of the PZ contacts at 5 o'clock on the mount (now known as the SDM contacts) interfere with those lenses with a longer baffle around the aperture lever.
08-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The crack in the bottom plate plastic is very common. My original Z1 also developed a stuck mirror. the plastic cog that moves it broke. Also common I understand. It can be fixed by obtaining a metal cog the same size, but it is probably cheaper to buy another used camera.
08-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
That should be 1/8000th.................
Yes, I stand corrected.

Also a Pentax camera which allows lens aperture control from a reverse side wheel (for lenses that accommodate it). Does a fair continuous shot rate also.

I haven't had any problem getting batteries - Albertsons food stores carry them in my area as well as a lot of big box stores. I've always gotten a lot of use out of a given battery but keep a spare on hand because little warning is given that one is going dead (usually the shutter just hangs up).

Last edited by Bob 256; 08-07-2018 at 11:58 AM.